Thinking about pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HoosierDeb, Apr 24, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I'm in the thinking stages. Here are my thoughts... 2 pigs to raise for the summer and butcher in the fall. Pen made of livestock panels supported by t-posts in an area I want to use as more garden next year. Electric wire around bottom of pen to keep them from rooting out. Pen size 32x32 big enough? I understand they don't need much shelter except some shade in summer? Will they outgrow this size pen before butchering time and be hard to keep penned up?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That will be big enough. When they root out all the grass they will get bored but a hot wire should keep them in. If you can put a second wire around where they will want to lean into and scratch it will keep your t-posts up. If you fence in an area which has a mature tree, like an oak, they can use that to scratch instead. A cool shady area is very important and a wallowing hole too. ONly other thing is that my pigs would choose to get out of the rain if they had a shelter. Good luck with your pigs.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

they will need a dry place to sleep, and to be able to get out of the rain, they will also need a souce of water, preferrably running water

4. HoosierDeb

Water will have to come in the form of a water tank of some sort. I'm thinking a 1' deep galvanized water trough with a 55 gal barrel raised above on the outside of fence with a pipe leading to a float valve in the tank. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week so need some system set up so that I can fill the thing the night before and I know they'll have water all day long while I'm working. I have plenty of shady area that I'd like worked up so will try to incorporate a scratching tree in the pen and build a small 3 sided shelter so they have a dry place to sleep. I know that, given the chance, they won't poo in their bed so I just need to make sure they have enough room for them to make their bathroom place away from their bed. All of this will be semi-portable so that if they get the whole area rooted up, I can always move them to a fresh area. There are plenty of saplings and stuff they can root out for me and I won't have to do it... I suppose it would be better to cut the trees off so that when the pigs root them out, the trees don't fall on the fence... hmmm.... sorry, thinking as I type.. I do tend to go on and on...

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For watering the pigs get a nipple waterer and securely mount the nipple at the fence line. As pigs the nipple needs to be about 8 to 10 inches off the ground and as they grow move the nipple higher. Mount the storage tank outside the pen. This will allow you to refill without getting in the pen, keep the water clean and will provide a reservoir on the days you are working. A nipple waterer will gravity feed just fine provided you keep water in the storage tank topped up at regular intervals. The nipple waterer should cost less than $10

6. HoosierDeb

Thanks Agmantoo. I wondered about them. Would you mount the nipple right into the side of the barrel or does it go onto a pipe leading from the barrel? I just got something similar to set up for my rabbit cages but haven't set it up yet.... nipple waterers on flexible tubing leading to a reservoir...

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would not mount the nipple to the barrel. I would use a piece of galvanized pipe and I would install a tee about 8 inches from the ground and then an elbow about 18 inches from the ground. You could fasten the pipe to a post or you could get a longer pipe and concrete it in the ground. Pigs/hogs are rough on equipment and if the waterers are not securely fastened they will destroy the setup. You can use a piece of flex tubing and a couple of barbed fittings to connect the barrel to the waterer fixture.