Thinking about moving consider this.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

OK got to talking to a friend about the "Stay Here-Move Away" discussion that goes on many BB's I frequent. And he had a novel idea.

Take the amount of your total utilities (electric-gas-water-etc.) PLUS your mortgage and divide it by 30. That's what you need to compare to say living in a motel till you find a place.

Well in our case it'd be $14.17 per night. NOW where can you stay for $14.17 per night and have all utilities, laundry included? :cool:

So many of us talk about selling off our homestead and moving but do we really think about the time in-between when were looking for that "wonderful" new home?

That makes it hard to move on. He does make a pretty strong point.

So what is it costing you per night where you are?

Kenneth in NC

2. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

It's costing us $30.33 a night and the place is falling apart! I swear there's motels cheaper.....but I probably wouldn't want to sleep in them! LOL

3. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

$4.50 for 5 people 7goats, 64 chickens, 2 pigs and a calf including internet and basic cable.....no cell phones here

5. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

mpillow you cheated your in CHINA :) You alreday have cheap stuff. :D

Kenneth

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

$8.16 here -- but we don't stay in motels, we camp out.

Kathleen

7. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Zero; the company pays $37/night though...and this is the cheapest place in town by a long way.

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I stayed in A hotel for A year once the cost $480.00 A month. The bedding was changed everyday, And it was A clean place.. I had my coffee pot and A crockpot, and electric skillet too. About half the rooms had long term tenets ..

9. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Now I feel BAD! Ours is costing $38.40 a night! BIG SIGH!

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

yes all our stuff is cheap...second hand....we are in Maine and w/o mortgage sooooooooo...life is good :)

11. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

For just utilities(mortgage free) it's costing us $10 a day. Would be cheaper if it wasn't for the darned internet, but I'm not going to give that up :nono:

When we moved, we stayed in dh's grandmother's basement while we looked for a new home. Not much fun as we were cramped, but the kids loved it, and I think grandma did too (once we were gone, lol)

12. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

-mortgage on land and building with commercial space for gun shop (thus personal expenses are skewed)
    -overpriced electric bill
    -dsl with unlimited long distance

Depending on the electric bill, around $38 per day

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) On the contrary, I think most people consider it..we did. We thought things over really carefully and decided that we not only wanted somewhere to stay that we really liked after our place in Vegas was sold, we wanted somewhere to stay that we LOVED and we didn't want to be stuck in just one place while we were waiting until we found a place we liked in Oregon. And we had a dog. Then we thought that as we had a few years before the Big Move, we might as well start checking out the area we wanted to move to and narrow down the possibilties.

So, we picked the best of all worlds and bought a new Ford Pick Up and a 5th Wheel trailer a few years before we were ready to make "the move" and enjoyed it a whole lot for 7 years, made trips up to the Northwest and visited all the areas that we thought we would like during vacation times. This really paid off as by the time we were ready to "do it" we had done our homework and decided on a state and a town. Plus we learned our way around and had the time to talk to a lot of people and learn things about the area that we wouldn't have known otherwise.

Then once the house was sold in Vegas, all that was left was waiting to find a place that fit our criteria around our favorite town. In the meantime we lived cheaply with nary a worry about finding a motel that would take our dog and visited a lot of fun places.

This had another benefit too. Once we bought the place there were some things we wanted done BEFORE I would consent to move in..like a new septic tank and a secure fence for my dog..and we just set up housekeeping on the property in the 5th wheel and waited in comfort for those things to get finished plus waiting for all of our belongings to arrive before moving in.

If a person has pets, and likes to explore new and beautiful places this is the way to go! Might as well save money and have fun while you are waiting! Re sale value is high on Pick Ups and nicely maintained RV's so they are easy to sell if you want to do that once you are in your new home.

LQ

14. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

This seems a weird post to me. WHy would anybody ever be homeless? You can sell one place and buy another at the same time. That is what we are going to do.

15. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

~$30 a day or ~$7.50 each per day

mortgage 375
    water/sewer/trash 35
    gas 100
    elec 150
    phone/internet 65
    TV 40
    Car insurance 105
    life insurance 30

Rachel

16. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

well, Kiesten, I hope you have a magic fairy sitting on your shoulder and that everything goes wonderful for you. Unfortunately, that doens't happen a large percentage of the time. My dh was employed by a bank when he retired in '92 and we learned good lessons about the things that can and do go wrong with trying these two things simultaneously by watching a whole lot of nice folks struggle.

I have a niece who is moving from CA to WA to be with family and she has had a rough time with the qualifying of buyers for the CA house and had to cancel offers on WA houses twice because of it. Now she's in a four story apt complex with a 100 lb dog who hates elevators waiting for her CA property to sell and for her to get the money!

We opted to not even fight it and be ready with cash in hand from the sale of the previous property so there were just no problems at all. The whole thing was then an adventure and enjoyable experience.

Yeah, I can see where it is advantages to be "homeless" for awhile. LOL :rolleyes:

LQ

17. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

$23 a day.

from experience I know that you cannot find another house and make an offer on it until after your house is sold. unless you are very blessed and lucky. we lost contracts on two homes, and finaly decided to stay in our home a while longer (because we have so much swet equity in it, is very reasonably priced!) we may try to sell again in 4 to 7 years. at which point we hope we will have purchased (and paid off) land to build on.

18. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

From 1977 until 2001, we moved a lot. We never lived anywhere longer than 3 years. Some states that I was stationed in, I was there for as short as two weeks. Most of the time, if we thought that we were going to be in one place for the full three years, then we bought a home.

We never had any problem, getting a new place, at the new location, even though we still owned the previous home.

We have just moved onto our 'homestead', still building the farm house actually. We have lived in it for a month. No mortgage, but I am spending a lot of money in building it. I think our electric was around $120.

We would still pay car insurance, food, cellphone, no matter where we lived, so I guess the daily cost of living here is about $4/day.

19. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem for us (time inbetween selling old house and building the new one). We have our land in Arkansas and will have a cabin there shortly. After we sell our house after we retire we'll move most of our stuff to a storage unit near our land and then live in the cabin while the new house is being built. Also allows us to keep an eye on the builders to make sure things are done right!!! :)

20. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member