Thinking about Kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rye, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Rye

Rye Member

I'm thinking about getting my goat bred, but I'm afraid she'll get fat and lazy after she has kids. But I don't know if that'll happen. And I'm afraid there could be complications, and she might die or one of her kids might die. What do you guys think?

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I think paranoia is normal for first time, second time, third time.. ok maybe for a few years, goat breeder... Heck, I still worry about this spring's kidding, and will everyting go well?? chances are, it will..
    When you read the board it the spring and read of the problelms people are having, and then you think of all the goats that are having kids in the spring, you'll realize that it's a drop it the bucket.. yea, it may happen to you, it may happen to me, but that's also part of life... and we deal with it when it comes as best we can..
    as far as the "fat and lazy" part? as long as you keep the potatoe chips and TV out of the barn, I don't see that happening.. :)

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

If your does are healthy you probably won't have kidding problems. In the meantime read up about the possible problems and things you will need. Make sure your does can make weight before breeding. Our 3 year old doe has had problems delivering her first kids each year but DH has been able to pull them. She may be fat but not lazy. She is the head of the herd. If you are worried, take her for long walks several times a day. It will do you both good.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I also think a doe who kids and milks regularly is actually alot trimmer, and has alot less health problems than a barren doe. There are few wethers who live long heathy lives, a lot more does living to 14, kidding and milking till 12 or so. Off the top of my head I only know one wether (owned by a vet and fellow breeder) who lived as long as the majority of my does, and no barren does. Let her earn her keep with kids and milk. Vicki

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Why are you guys and gals up and posting at 2:30AM? :no: :no: You know the we all have to get up and feed in a few more hours. :)

6. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

"... Off the top of my head I only know one wether (owned by a vet and fellow breeder) who lived as long as the majority of my does, and no barren does..."

------

Please say it isn't so....

Could it just be that does that are milked and kid regularly are, in general, more carefully monitored (diet, wormings, medication, etc.) than wethers and does that are often kept for brush clearing?

I'm new to goats and have only wethers and does because I planned on keeping a fixed size herd appropriate for my property. Even though I got them primarily for brush control, they have become pets, and I sure don't want to think about getting a pet cemetery ready any time soon.

Nancy

7. Rye

Rye Member

At what age is it good for a doe to get bred? And do I have to buy a buck to get her bred, or do they have artifical insemination for goats?

8. Look on this forum for people near you and rent a buck or take your lady to their farm for 3 weeks. You should keep in mind that you should try to use the best buck goat you can afford in the breed you appreciate. Cross breeding will give you hybrid vigor (the offspring tend to grow quicker) and most of all remember to let nature take its course. I had a breech delivery last Spring and the mom made it thru all by herself, and I was very surprised.
    In fact today I got my full-blooded Nubian buck (born here 1 1/2 years ago) to come back and visit with his non-related former herd mates. I traded a little buckling 3/4 nubian for this service or about $50.
    The buck's sister and mother are being bred to half Nubian/toggy cross that exhibit hybrid vigor.
    The buck wasnt even here 10 min and mounted two does twice! Hopefully he wont overdue himself!