Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. My family and I are thinking about buying land in New mexico about a half hour from albuquerque. We do not totally want to be off grid but do want to build our own homestead and be more self sufficient.
Any general advice is welcomed ☺

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
1/2 hour from Albuquerque is not far from a big city. Is the city growing that way? Will you be ensconced in developments in a few years?
Check building codes!! That's a must before you buy.
Make sure you have a good working, deep well!!
Go slow, realizing you've build a barn in the wrong place is frustrating to say the least.
Remember, everything will cost twice as much as what you wanted to pay. ;)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Water is more important than anything else. Hopefully the property has a good well, if not that should be your first improvement. I hauled water for myself and six horses for the first two years. I think that thirty minutes from the city is too close, but that is a personal choice. You are going to have a short growing season unless you use a green house, and the winters are cold but short compared to anything up north.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hello. My family and I are thinking about buying land in New mexico about a half hour from albuquerque. We do not totally want to be off grid but do want to build our own homestead and be more self sufficient.
I have a couple lots south of Belen...in Valencia county..Make sure you know whether water is available..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do you live near there, if not best to visit for a week in that area. That area is a whole different world then what most people in the U.S. has seen :) Do you speak Spanish?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Do you live near there, if not best to visit for a week in that area. That area is a whole different world then what most people in the U.S. has seen :) Do you speak Spanish?
It's a lot like West Texas. All of us speak english, some of us even have flush toilets and electricity. It is run by a bunch of bug loving tree huggers up in Santa Fe, but most of us just ignore them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's a lot like West Texas. All of us speak english, some of us even have flush toilets and electricity. It is run by a bunch of bug loving tree huggers up in Santa Fe, but most of us just ignore them.
But the chile, though :)

Just learn to answer "red or green?" with "Christmas" and you'll be fine, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts