Thinking about getting rid of inverters and going with a 12 volt system

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by catalekid, Dec 29, 2017.

1. catalekid

catalekid Well-Known Member

I currently run a television/ DVD, interior lights and a fan off a simple solar, battery and inverter system.

Switching to an all 12 volt system and bypassing the inverter is something I am considering, mostly to get rid of the inverter noise.

What are your thoughts?

Mickie3 likes this.
  2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you load will support 12v then why loose the power in converting the voltage. Depending on your needs TV, DVD and lights can be found in 12v varieties. I would suggest LED and not incandescent lamps for your lighting.

My solar power system is mainly for use with my ham radio and computer gear and it all runs off 12v and works fine.

Mickie3 and catalekid like this.

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

In our town there are four homes on Solar Power. One of those homes has been on solar power since the 1980s, and they only use 12vdc. All of his home appliances were sourced as 12vdc appliances.

His battery bank is made of car batteries too. He gets them from a junk yard for the $10 core charge. They are all wired in parallel.

It is a very cheap and reliable system.

Mickie3 and catalekid like this.
  4. catalekid

Thanks for the input guys ....................... it is time for a new TV so no better time to do this than right now. Anybody have a suggested TV brand? I want about a 32" size, lcd is more energy efficient than plasma I believe. My current 37" lcd TV (110 volt) pulls 86 watts.

5. Offgrid48

Offgrid48 Member

You'll spend more converting everything to 12V than just getting a quieter inverter.

6. catalekid

I am already buying another TV after this one wet belly up. 12V seems to be not much more.

7. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

Best do some home work on wire sizing. A TV pulling that wattage 12v could need up to 10 gauge wire being only 10 feet from source.

Murby and Rick like this.
  8. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

One option to consider is that even after you wire your house for 12vdc, you could still pick-up a dozen small inverters. Use one inverter specifically for each appliance.

Our eldest son drives long-haul trucks, he has found that truck stops keep a wide selection of small inverters for pretty cheap prices.

9. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

When we were off grid we did everything except electronics on 12v. This was before LED lights were around so we used 12v flourescents.

The only thing we used an inverter for was the TV and satellite dish. There are a lot more choices in TV’s when looking at standard ones. And now these newer LED TV’s use very little power.

My inverters never made any appreciable noise. Maybe look into a better inverter? I don’t know why an inverter would be noisy unless it is being stressed and the fan constantly runs at high speed. But even then it shouldn’t be that noisy.

Mickie3 and ET1 SS like this.
  10. catalekid

I have two Xantrex inverters ........... 1500 watts each ............one is pure sine wave ............................ they are definitely not cheapos. I hate the noise when the fans come on. The only electronic I will run is an LCD TV and DVD player .................... everything else is four 60 watt lcd bulbs, one 4 ft double florescent fixture and one three speed fan. The TV I was running pulled 86 watts and I do not run any light all of the time. I use oil lamps for most of my evening lighting.

11. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Visio 24 inch smart tv. It uses roughly 25 watts. I don't use it much, but it work well after 3 years or so. Occaisionally the brightness dims a bit and returns. I assume this is due to my modified sine inverters.

Can you relocate the inverter, using thicker cable from the batteries?

12. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

I have a buddy who's an "RV Nut" and he has gotten some stuff from here: https://www.12volt-travel.com/ I dunno myself what the story is on this company but seems they have many 12V solutions including TV's. I'm sure that anything on that site is readily available through E-Bay or Amazon too and maybe for less too.

Most inverter's are not that noisy unless they are being pushed to the edge (max capacity) and the fan(s) are working OT to keep it cool. Maybe you should have a revisit on your loads and see if you have enough battery bank to run what you have and that the inverter is not too undersized. Cotek makes decent inverters, well priced, might be worth looking into. Readily available from many solar suppliers. REF: http://cotek.ca/?cotekproducttax=pure-sine-wave-power-inverters

In The Woods and Mickie3 like this.
  13. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

12 volts DC sucks. If you go that route, you might want to think about investing in a copper mine because you're going to need a lot of it.

I would suggest getting quality inverters or adding filters and ferrite rings to your lines to reduce the noise.

Go look at the price for a 12 volt freezer. Normal 120v freezer is $300, going to a 12v system is around $1200

In The Woods likes this.