Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my dud buck. I haven't had any luck finding a NZW or Cal buck anywhere near here. I have a French Angora and Rex buck already. I was thinking of getting a BEW Beveren. The breeder I got most of my rabbits from has them now. I think I've read that they are pretty good meat types. Does anyone else have them? I like the blue eyes part of it. If I read the book right, the blue eyed gene is "v" and is recessive?

Kat

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
I was interested in Beverens at one point, their big rabbits, their a mandolin body type like a Flemish. BEW is a recessive, both rabbits have to carry it to express it, but what you will get are Vienna marked, which look like poorly marked dutch, or Vienna carriers which look like normal rabbits. Both of these can have blue or merled eyes, meaning the eyes are part blue. I have a VC buck who is a blue tort, he has blue eyes. To get more BEW you'd have to breed the buck to one of his daughters. The BEW gene really should not be crossed with REW, but if its just for meat it shouldn't matter.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
No, not health, for color crossing reasons, because the REW can continue to pop up for many generations. Say someone is working on BEW Mini Rex, and thier breeding two BEW's that have REW a number of generations back. All the babies in the litter should be BEW, which is more desireable than REW. Well when the babies open their eyes, half are REW because the Albino gene can cover and mask BEW the same way it does every other color, BEW cannot cover REW in the same way. REW is so common place, BEW is not and so is more valuable sales wise. Some colors should not be crossed in because they stick around forever, I really don't like REW in my Mini-Rex lines, and if I had a REW produced I'd stop breeding those rabbits.

Another for instance, NZW was crossed into Silver Foxes sometime in the past, occasionally a REW kit still pops up although there are generations and generations of colored rabbits. It just never goes away.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I guess it would depend on if you are breeding for meat or show and if you want to keep your own stock and what you want that stock to look like.
One idea you might consiter is to get a buck and a doe or 2. You could use that buck to breed all your does and only keep replacements from the pure Breverans. Eventually you'd end up with a all pure bred herd.
If your Cals and NZW's are pure bred you will get some nice hybryd vigor from those crosses with your new buck.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
I really didn't think about that before, as I haven't bred standard Rex in over 25 years. But there is a simple answer, no one has tried to get BEW passed in Rex, or holds the Certificate of Development on BEW Rex yet. Before a color is accepted someone has to ask for a COD from ARBA, and if they get it they then have to work on the color and have it pass three presentations at National Conventions. It has to pass before its officially considered a color for that breed. BEW has passed some time ago in Mini Rex, and I don't know if anyone holds the COD for BEW in standard Rex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts