Thinking about a move..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SHELBY, Jun 21, 2004.

1. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is where this goes but here it goes..

We live in Penn. and due to the lack of work that pays anything DH is going to go west to get work.. Probably Montana. He has already contacted 10 job opening and 5 want to know when he can start.. We also got a call from one that he had contacted back in Jan. and wants to know when he will be coming out because he wants him. Most of the jobs are 2-3 weeks on and 1 week off so he would be able to come home and then he was going to only do this for summer and fall and then be home in the winter.. But depending on how it goes he said we might just move out there..

Here is the thing I am not sure if I want to make the move.. I have lived here just about all my life..

We would have to sell our little 25 acre farm and start all over..

If Dh says it's time to move then we will go but I am just a little concerned. You know new place, no friends and 4 children.. Have any of you gone through this and just felt like you would be all alone...?

On a lighter note though. How are Montana season's ?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

first, I haven't a clue as to the weather in Montana..smart of you to look into that, I'd bet it's different than PA.

On the subject of moving, however...I'm an expert.

I was raised a military brat, and married the military, to boot, so I've moved lots. In 23 years of marriage, 12 times...and I'm stopping now and putting out some roots....

So here's a few hints. Start a subscription to the paper where you're going, to be delivered to you now. Most papers will do weekends only, which won't cost as much. You'll have an idea of what is important to the locals, what types of real estate is available, jobs, things for kids to do, etc.

If you know the actual area you'll be moving to, contact the school, and ask for pen pals for your kids. That way they'll have a friend waiting for them, and they won't be so lonely. If fact, that one kid will have a group of kids waiting for yours, and they'll be celebrities for a while. If the school won't help, and sometimes they can't...try a church, or YMCA, or whatever. You might want to get yourself a penpal, too! :) How about the parents of the kids you hook up with your kids?

If your hubby goes first for a while, and visits back home, have him bring a phone book with yellow pages. They give a lot of information about an area.

Look on-line for the nearest Chamber of Commerce. They should also be able to tell you about groups with common interests to you and the kids...homeschool groups, quilting groups, orchid societies, whatever you're into, see if you can find people with common interests.

As a kid, I loved moving. As an adult, I loved it more. I was never able to become a pack rat!! My kids always adjusted quickly...about five minutes after the first friend was made did it. We did make it a point to sit still in one house for the last couple years of high school on each of them. Everyone should graduate with friends.

I quit moving last August. I'm rapidly turning into a pack rat. I love it. But I'd move again if I needed to.

Best wishes...Meg

3. Katiecakes

Katiecakes Member

I moved from Western Pennsylvania to North Western Montana about 7 years ago. What part of Montana are you moving to I could at least tell you about the area. I have to truly say that on whole, Montanans are a very friendly lot. I'm surprised to read that your dh has found good job opportunities here, our job market isn't all that great. Be aware that property taxes in Montana are much higher than in PA, however, we don't have a sales tax (which is supposed to be a big help, but in reality I don't think it is). There are some great Montana websites too, depending on what area you are moving too, I could happily pass on that information as well.

Montana weather is drastically different than PA's. Most people say we have two seasons: winter and July. The weather is also very different depending on what part of the state you choose to live in. For example where I live the winters are warmer than the eastern part of the state but very overcast and grey. In the eastern part of the state winters can be very cold (I lived in great falls for about 2 years and it didn't get above zero for an entire month once.) but the sun shines almost always. Most, if not all of Montana is suffering with drought conditions as well right now. We had terrible fires last summer and more are predicted this summer.

Again, I'm happy to tell you about the area you plan to move to if I know anything about it. Love, Kathie

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'm gonna echo Katiecakes post in both the climate and job/pay situation, just about anywhere in the West.

Yer hubby must have some amazing job credentials.

My Aunt just moved back to Montana after living in PA for 10 years and I hear no end about the poor work situation and the low wages compared to the East. (she's not unhappy moving back, just with the wage differential)

According to her, rents are twice what she'd been paying in PA, land prices are 5 to 10 times what she was used to and for them, cost of living is way more, although, I think it's because they insist on driving 100 miles for a gallon of milk.

5. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Some of the jobs are around Billings and Kalispell that I know of.

Hubby can just about do anything We have owned and operated our own log truck, own our own mechanics business and he has operated and worked on heavy equipment.. I guess they like the fact that he is knowledgeable in quite a few different areas..

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Fact of Life, ya gots to wear a lot of hats around here.

7. gmm41

gmm41 Member

Hi Shelby,
    I just moved from Maryland's eastern shore (humidity and bug capital as well as armpit of the world) to SW Washington. I decided to move here almost a year ago. I love it!!! I wouldn't move back east for anything. I had a job within days of getting here - depends if one is willing to work. I think the weather is fairly comparable to MT, at least in the summer.
    Gloria

8. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

You can read a lot of news papers on line. Go to: http://www.newspapers.com There you can pick what state and it will show the papers you can read.

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

We are in the process of checking out land in Montana right now. We are
    in Wyoming right now.

We met "Sisterpine" two weekends ago when she showed us around property that is located a stones throw from her mountain hide away.
    She has a view you would not beleive!

WE loved the location but have decided that we have to look around at more properties before we make the jump at the first one.

Montanna has lots of diversity from mountains to rolling hills. Water seems to be a problem in some areas. Land runs the gamit in price.

Pay rates are very low!!! We are headed back up this weekend to look at more property and make sure we "love" where we end up.

Jill

10. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I am surprised that the pay rates are low maybe it's just the kind of work he is looking into because the pay that some of these places are offering start out at $19.00 hr and go up to $40.00. Which is like $10.00 to $15.00 more that you would get around here and some of them include housing (one includes a ranch) :cool:

Painterswife.. Dh told me last night that there were 2 jobs in Wyoming that he was looking into...How's Wyoming??

Alot of it I think is he just wants out of PA He has for quite sometime now and I don't think he will be happy until he moves...

11. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Where in Wyoming?

It varies alot as well here. We are on the western edge of the state. Mountains and high prices. Eastern part of the state is rolling hills and more wind.

No state income Taxes!

Let me know where the offers are and I can give you more info.

Jill

12. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Painterswife,,,I'll have to check with DH and let you know cause I'm not sure where...

Boy I love this site :yeeha:

13. Gina

Gina Active Member

One thing to consider is that if/when your family makes this move and if you decide to start a new homestead, you'll be able to re-do a few things. We all make mistakes and I'm sure there are plenty of things you would do over if you could have on your farm. When you build the new place up, you can do them the way you thought of!

Gina

14. Katiecakes

Katiecakes Member

I live about 15 miles from Kalispell and am incredibly surprised at those pay rates. Nurses barely make $15 an hour in this area. Those are very high salaries please be sure to research the company offering the jobs to make sure they are stable.

Billings is a much larger "city" in fact the largest "city" in Montana. I use the term city very loosely about 100,000 people and not city when compared to a place like Pittsburgh. Still $19 to $40 an hour is extremely high pay rate! Land is much cheaper outside of the Billings area (I'm not sure what the housing/land prices inside the city are like) than it is here in NW Montana near Kalispell.

Here are some websites about Montana for you:

Billings Chamber of Commerce: www.billingschamber.org
    Kalispell Chamber of Commerce: www.kalispellchamber.com
    Flathead Valley Visitor Info: www.fcvb.org
    Montana Tourism Info: www.visitmt.com

15. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

there isan outfit out of Missoula that is in need of a few belly dump drivers, and is paying pretty good but the jobs are summer only nad maybe into late fall, last year before i took the system admistrator job i thought hard about working for him as grader operator which paid $35 per hour and was a 60 hour per week job overtime included..... and only 15 miles from home, but also only 60 - 90 days on that job, then gypsy on to the next one.... which is why he is looking for drivers nad why the pay is a tad higher than a steady year long job.....

Montana like Idaho weather is similar..... if you dont like it wait five minutes and it will change. My cousin lives part ofthe year now in Livingston.... where they get steady wind af about 45 MPH and a couple of 125 MPH winds each year.... not uncommon to have trains blown off the track there..... and a place that got its name from people leaving.... HAVRE cause you can have her..... cold, miserable and lonely..... Miles City montana where my grandad tried setting fence post after breaking horses for the army in 1916, he got all of 17 post in one day and was embarrased.... fella he was working for sent him home cause he did a days work by noon! ..... hard ground there. Three Forks Montana..... place where you get a ticket no matter how right you are..... it is the only way they have to make goverment work there i suppose..... Ok Idaho is just as bad in places.

William

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know for a fact that living in montana can be tough and you have to be ready for it. But I honestly would not live any where else on the planet! As far as jobs and pay rates go it is a poor state and the jobs pay poorly also. though I did work the past 3.5 years at the power company in butte for about 17.00 per hour in customer service. It was a great job with great co workers! Housing can be lower cost than most places if you are not looking for a palace. Land prices go from the extremely high "country club estates" type to the "no covenants no restrictions no utilites" type which have always been my choice. Hope you find what you are looking for and hope you come to love your new place as much as i love my little piece of Big Sky Country!

17. Hi Shelby, We moved from PA. to montana 7 years ago. I was 42 then and we had 2 boys 6 & 8. It was VERY hard for me. My husband & I had never been here. We got the Butte paper and rented a trailer. The people are nice, but I cryed almost every day. I do like living here up in the mountains but I still wish I could just move it back home to PA!! My boys & husband however LOVE it here. We were gonna move back home 2 weeks after we moved here & my 8 year old just cryed he did not want to go home. So we deciced to stay because it is a nice place to raise kids. A gal told me it takes about 5 years to get used to it and I think she is right. We live between Butte & Whitehall. It is a nice area. I can give you tips about this area if you like. Well good Luck & God Bless! Mary Lou

18. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

19. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................I have been thru there twice back in 79 and 80 when I visited Jellystone . After reading that article (thanks JR) I might just decide to relocate and see if I could make a go of it. I trully believe that Wyoming is probably one of the last uninhabitated and wild area's left in our country . What better place to live out your last years and die with your "Boots On" . Plus , look how close you are to some of the most scenic and beautiful country that our country has to offer . ....fordy... :eek: :)

20. rider

rider Well-Known Member

Hi we are in S.E. Montana not far from Billings well 160 miles but that is where we go to really shop, anyway there are a lot of nice places south of Billings on Highway 212 a long streach of small towns along a valley, also east of Billings out along the Yellowstone river dont know about prices tho, weather here in S.E. is odd to say the least, winter goes from oct. to april or may then you have another season that could be temps in 70 and 80 and nice rains or it can go strainght into the 100's and stay there for the season. Last year was 91 days frost to frost for growing season. This year I think will be a little longer. Beware there is some land for sale around Miles City that is advertised in the Homesteading Magazines, I wouldnt go there that land is nothing but gumbo hills it is pretty to loook at but you are not going to grorw anything there, I laugh everytime I see that add and hope that no poor sole buys there. If you can deal with long distances to travel and very few people Montana well the eastern part is for you, I don't know much about west of Billings have lived in the east all my life, Western Montana is very pretty, but I think its being settled pretty fast Good Luck and welcome if you move here