Think Like a cow.....

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by NWMO, Jul 13, 2006.

1. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Okay, went to check on the two cows this morning in the pasture. Due to the heat the past couple of days, they have been sticking to the timber and tall grass/weeds.

Can't find the heifer this morning.....she has been notorious for pushing through the neighbor's "straight wire" fence.......have traveled the countryside looking for her, but am assuming she is way deep into a corn field......and hints or suggestions of what to do now? I have called the sheriff (in case someone else comes upon her) and have alerted the neighbors to be on the look out......so frustrating! Especially when it was my fault in knowing how she could get out and not getting some electric fence up!!!!! ARGGGHHH!!!

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

is there stock ponds anywhere close? she is probably waist deep into a pond somewhere trying to both cool off and get away from the bugs

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Do you grain them at all? Possible that she'll return at graining time. If any of your neighbors have herds, that would be the first place I would look. I hope you find her safe and sound.

4. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

The heifer was about a mile south of our fence line....made her way in with another herd.....and am sure she is probably bred now....at least heavily exposed!! Probably just what she was looking for! :) She is registered stock.....so, debating on whether to have her preg checked.......she was bred by a black bull, (which is what everyone around here uses....assuming Angus, but could be Simm)....just hope the bull throws small calves, as she is a pretty small heifer! But now saves me from having to buy a bull this fall.....will simply count on some beef for the freezer!

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

what breed is she? MOST (not all) beef herds that use Angus and some of the Siminol/ Limousine bulls go for the Low Birth waight due to the variety of heffers and cows that would be bred by the bull to produce Beef stock,

BUT you never know,
    if she is bred and she is of a good size and harty breed it probably wont be a problem but just watch close,

how long was she gone? and is she still with the other herd or did you bring her back? hopefully if she is bred all goes well and you have a free breeding and nice meaty calf on the way.