Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the threads about respect made me think of things my parents, grandparents, neighbors and teachers used to say about child rearing. Boy are they true. I have used many in bringing up my own children.

1. You raise livestock, you rear children. Rear a child in the way that he shouhd go and he will never depart.

2. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

3. Children are to be seen and not heard.

4. A hard head makes for a soft behind.

5. Let me preface this one by saying I'm black and so are my parents - If I don't teach you, the white folks will. (Meaning if they didn't teach me, jail would be my future home)

6. I didn't ask you, I told you.

7. Because I said so, that's why.

8. No child ever died from missed meal colic.

9. (after a spanking) - It's better you cry a little now, than me cry over your grave.

10.(for any taboo subject, sex, drugs, drinking, smoking, etc) - if you do XXX, I'll kill you. That was enough for me. I married pure, never touched any drug or cigarette and never had drink before I was of legal age and didn't drink to excess when I did).

What are some of the saying that your parents had and have you used them in rasing your own children.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
if you don't hate me at least once before you are 18, then I'm not doing my job right.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you fall out of that tree and kill yourself, I am going to beat you to death. LOL No I never used this one with my children.

Another one was "Just wait until your Daddy gets home." Didn't use this one either. I took care of business myself.

Jan

·
Registered
185 Posts
If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

This hurts me more than it hurts you. ( Didn't quite get it until I had kids. )

A little bird told me. Hated that dam bird, never saw it either.

If I hear it from someone else, it'll be twice as bad.

I blamed everything I could on " Ida Know, Not Me ", it didn't click in the grey matter for years that that only works when you have other siblings in the same house.

If you want it, earn it, money doesn't grow on trees.

You reap what you sow. Didn't figure out how far reaching that one went until well into adulthood, sure wish they would have elaborated on that one more.

That's all that come to mind right now, more will crop up when I'm weeding the garden in the morning.

·
Registered
445 Posts
"As long as you live in my house, you'll follow my rules."

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Another one my Mom used was "All Mothers have eyes in the back of their head." Now I used that one with my children and as teens they still believed it until they realized that their friends were ratting them out but didn't realize that they were getting my children in trouble. LOL

Jan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Didn't understand this one until I had kids :

"Do you need me to give you something to cry about?" when throwing a tantrum. My kids don't throw tantrums because it isn't worth the sore bum. As a kid I always thought to myself...but I'm already crying....

edited: southrngardngal, my 6 yo ds absolutely believes that I have eyes in the back of my head....and posted around the yard sometimes! lol

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
"You don't have to like it but you still have to do it." My kids heard that occasionally.

"Go to your room until you're in a better mood." I heard that one. It usually took five minutes to decide I was in a better mood.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
With 7 kids, I guess we werent very good at minding our own business so we always heard "M.Y.O.B". Mind your own business.

And I always tell my kids:
If you make a mess, clean it up!
You can be shy, but you CAN NOT be rude. (You MUST answer when spoken to by a "strange" adult, no matter how shy you are.)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My mother said to me....."I'm so mad I can't even look at you." Use to make me so angry. Now...I have a 15 year old boy. Ahhhh, I so get it.My Mamaw use to tell me when I was wasting time on something, "Life is too short to dance with ugly people!" LOL

My kids know there is two things I will not tolerate.....lying and hitting.
So the sayings in this house are....

Me:"What does Mama not like?"
Kids:"Lying."

Me: "If you put your hands on someone, what happens?"
Kids:"Mama will put her hands on you."

Rarely, if ever, happens they do either. Not angels, just know I won't tolerate those things. Now if I had only too that stand against BICKERING.......Hmmm......LOL
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
southrngardngal said:
Another one my Mom used was "All Mothers have eyes in the back of their head."
Jan

Hee Hee...my boys (ages 6 and 4) really believe I have eyes in the back of my head. When we are driving I am forever telling them to stop doing something and they say "How did you know I was doing that?" and I say "It's the eyes in the back of my head !". I guess someday they will figure out it's the rear view mirror that does it... but for now it keeps them on their toes and when I am sitting down at night they come over and move my hair trying to find those "eyes". Gotta love kids!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
WIHH,
I love it! WE do that to ours. My 15 year old recently took to talking to his much younger sisters very gruffly no matter what they said to him, no matter how sweet they were. So after hearing it too much I applied it back to him. He got up one morning and came in all smiles and said, "Morning Mama" and I fired back, "Why are YOU talking to ME????" (same thing he said to the 5 year old the night before). He just stood there frozen. LOL And then said, "What what .... what did I do?" and then I smiled sweetly and said, "Nothing honey, I just heard you talk to Faithy this way last night and assumed that you wanted everyone to treat you they way you treat them!"
We haven't had much problem since then. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's not for you to question WHY, it is but for you to do or die..." (I'm sure that I mangled that, but it is what my kids have heard for 20+ years)

"You'll live and grow old in spite of it."

It'll heal by the time you're married."

Is it broken? Is it gushing blood? Then you don't need a bandaid."

"You better get glad in those pants you're mad in."

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,677 Posts
southrngardngal said:
Another one my Mom used was "All Mothers have eyes in the back of their head." Now I used that one with my children and as teens they still believed it until they realized that their friends were ratting them out but didn't realize that they were getting my children in trouble. LOL

Jan

rogloll!!!!!!!!!! the younger kids still fall for that one! they think I have them on the side of my head too.....sadly the teenagers know I don't.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
"If you say you are going to do something, you better do it or die trying"

"Life isn't fair, so get over it" (yes, I do use this one whenever my kids complain "that's not fair!")

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
"Mothers just know these things" (yep, I now use that on mine with Daddys instead of Mothers)

"Because I said so!"

"You get in trouble at school, it'll be twice as bad at home"

My mama didn't have to say much. She knew that just a look of disappointment on her face would break my heart.

My DW's mom always used the line "Keep it up and I'm gonna slap you naked and hide your clothes"

One of my dad's favs was "It takes a lot less time to do it right than to do it over"

T

·
0 Posts
"Don't make me wish I woulda drowned you and raised puppies."

That was usually said as we went out on our own for the evening.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts