Things that Seem to have Quietly Disappeared

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by salmonslayer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Janossy

Janossy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank God.:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

I didn't see anyone mention wing windows. You could flip those around and get a roaring breeze in your face. And there was always a floor vent that you could open that would circulate cool air at about knee level. That was wonderful on a hot summer day.

I must live in a really strange place. We have a real drive-in theater that does a thriving business. There's a hardware store in town with the worn wooden floors, tin ceilings, and more weird widgets than anyone could ever ask for. I bought Revell models for my grandsons this Christmas with the paint packages and real model glue at the local Farm and Fleet.

People wave at you when you go to town, whether they know you or not. We don't have any stoplights, but we do have one flashing one.

I never lock my car, and haven't used a house key in years.

I've ridden my horses on the land of several neighbors for almost thirty years. You close the gates that you open, and you leave open the ones you find open. You don't bother the cattle, and leave things as you find them. If you find fence down or an injured animal, you let the owner know. Nobody mentions suing; they trust that you'll be responsible.

Have you ever looked at a Vermont Country Store catalog? There are tons of things there we remember from when we were young. Lots of the candies, perfumes like Shalimar and Emeraude, shaving mugs and brushes, oilcloth tablecloths, those jewel toned aluminum cups we all drank our Kool Aid from, the little Pilgrim candles that were in every dimestore in the 1950s and 60s for Thanksgiving, and much much more. While they may have 2012 prices, most buyers have 2012 incomes. I can remember a time when a handsome yearly salary was $10K a year; so much of it balances out.

It's fun reading what everyone remembers. Much of it can still be had though, if we really want it.

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

WOW!! I'm in another world. But lot of you knew that.
    Am i out of touch or what. I have a whole bunch of this stuff that is missing. Reel to Reel, Transitor radios, slide rules. VCR, vynl records, Tarzan comics Metal hot wheels. tube type amp. course my puters are 8-10 years old. Cept the mac it only 6. Got comodore 64, vic 20, Amiga1040, Atari St. They all work yet. Still use zip drives. Windows 98. LOL Most of my shirts are at least 15 years old. Haven't bought jeans for 5 or six years.. Camping equipment from the early 90's. Underware is new LOL. even my glasses haven't changed in over ten years. Truck is a 95

4. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to like looking in that catalog. We all did, until the day my coming into puberty daughter brought me the catalog and said "mom, what is this thing that says 'for her pleasure'"?that was the end of that catalog coming to this house.

5. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

"Are there any land line phones left besides the 2 I have?"

For emergency purposes, it is important to keep a land line phone.
    911 operators can trace a call to an address on a land line, but not a cell phone.

6. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Not quite true anymore with smart phones with gps.

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Thank God. I remember watching a film (Hackers... brilliant film) in which one character says to another, "Spandex, it's a privilege, not a right." Truer words were never said. Why is it that those who could get away with it never wore it, and those who did... shouldn't have?

I miss REAL licorice! The GOOD stuff... not this plastic stuff they make now!

Got that here! :)

My boys have built many, many models. You can buy them in the local hardware store, or in hobby or department stores here. The good ones can be kind of expensive, though.

I miss quality cookware. There is so little of it left -- everything is "planned obsolescence" now. Manufacturers EXPECT you to replace your cookware every five or six years, so they don't make it to last even that long. I still have some of my grandmother's cookware which has outlasted three sets that I have bought. Now, I'm replacing everything with enamelled cast iron, or plain cast iron -- even that isn't the quality that it used to be, though.

Quality small appliances. My grandma's kitchen aid mixer is still going. Mine, which I probably paid five times as much for, has been in for repairs several times, and still isn't the workhorse that grandma's was. They just don't make things to the quality that they used to, and people don't take pride in their work as they once did. I miss that.

MoBookworm1957 and vickinell like this.
  8. twomeal

twomeal Well-Known Member

Haven't read thru it all, but...
    Joe Isuzu anyone? Would I lie?!

9. Alec Yach

Alec Yach New Member

I always love to present children such a things that they are actually want and obviously get happy.
    So for that reason, I want to give my child cotton candy machine for home to her 10th birthday. I am pretty interested with this gift and sure she will definitely be happy.
    Let's try

10. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Lol a gas station near here posted a sign,

" NO Money From Under Wear "

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry that they needed one!

11. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm, enjoyed this blast from the past.
    During the time we spent in Canada in June we ran across severalfull service stations in small towns, and occasional pay phones.

The thing I iss is newspapers, with timely news, not yesterdays or the day before. When JFK was sh0tI remember newsboys all thru the commuter streets in DC hollering Extra! Extra Edition! Read all about it!
    Before we gave up ournewspaper subscription I coined a new motto for them- all the news fit to print...two days agao.

12. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Safeway carries JiffyPop here. We use it camping. Great candy store up in Leadville.

What I hate, since I buy in bulk a lot of times, is that by the time I use up a really good product it is no longer available.

And sure wish I could still find cotton whole slips!

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Shame I like smoking Government got me started at 17.

big rockpile

14. big rockpile

We got.02 a bottle pick up enough for.12 a gallon gas.

big rockpile

15. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Gawd you're ancient Rock. Those 2 centers were 6 oz bottles.

16. big rockpile

I use to drive a Bomber on dirt track.

How about Pipe Cleaners
    Tubes for T.V. or Radio

big rockpile

17. big rockpile

Oh I remember taking my car to have it inspected they failed it because it didn't have Turn Signals. Had a hard time explaining that it came out of the factory this way, so they had to pass it.

Also borrowed my Son's car to take Driver's Test. Woman asked me to dim the lights. Had no idea how to. Finally she says this isn't your car is it? Nope. She showed me the Dimmer Switch on the lever along with Wipers. Dang that's cool!

big rockpile

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 6:13 PM
  18. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Demolition derbys and enduroes. Most folks never did and never will understand that. You had to be able to sense a junk yard a couple hundred miles away. Some of that is still alive in the rat rods.

19. big rockpile

Ok keep this as clean as I can. But I had every Play Boy before they showed certain hair. My youngest Son cut pictures out and sold them at school. Not knowing these were Collector Magazines.

big rockpile

20. ridgerunner1965

ridgerunner1965 Well-Known Member

I'm only 52 but I was 30 or so before I had a vehicle with power steering or air con. I had a manual steering truck with no air con up until 6 months ago.

another thing that went away was respect for your elders.most kids today have no respect for some one who has been around a long time.its disgusting. I don't have this prob with my kids but ive seen it all the time. I was taught to revere older adults because they and been there and done that and you could learn a lot from them.