Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever read instructions on something, and after reading something in particular did it make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

For instance, I just noticed on our paper shredder, three NO icons on it. NO paperclips, NO ties and NO hands. First off, the slot isn't big enough for someone to stick there fingers in there anyway. Unless you have very tiny tiny fingers. But still. Secondly, I can understand that someone might have tried putting paper through with a paperclip still on it. But then why don't they have a NO staples icon. Since that is more apt to happen than a paperclip. Third, and this is the one that gets me. Who would ever think of sticking a tie through it? :shrug: Unless of course, you have someone who is not very coordinated.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
actually, there have been quite a few accidents involving shredders and loose clothing such as ties........& they had a news program on a few months ago where a toddler lost most of her hand because it got stuck in a paper shredder. I was really glad when my boss decided to get rid of our office paper shredder and start paying a document destruction company to do it for us, I got my sleeve caught in it one time and ruined a good work blouse.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are office shredders bigger with a wider opening? I know the one we have here at home the opening if extremely narrow. I can see a tie or clothing going through it, but not fingers.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
FiddleKat said:
Are office shredders bigger with a wider opening? I know the one we have here at home the opening if extremely narrow. I can see a tie or clothing going through it, but not fingers.
The one we use was just the brand they sell at Costco for home use, so it does have a pretty narrow opening (but still big enough for my cuff to get caught in :grump: ) I'm thinking that the one they were talking about on the news report about the toddler was just a home model too.

A

·
0 Posts
I have seen a man get his tie in a shredder. Fortunately the off button was right there on the top of the machine so he could quickly slap it off before it caused his face to bang into the top of the machine. Ate his gold tie clip though.

Staples are very insubstantial whereas paperclips are not.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Oh yes, the tie in the shredder does happen!. It happened to Bill at work and they made him take it off so they could put it on a plaque for him. He never lived that one down.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
FiddleKat said:
Secondly, I can understand that someone might have tried putting paper through with a paperclip still on it. But then why don't they have a NO staples icon. Since that is more apt to happen than a paperclip.
All of the shredders I've used could handle staples with no problem. Paperclips are much thicker.

/VM

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
a lady at school wore mine out.....the special ed dept didnt have a shredder....well confidentiality is a big issue with me....I wont throw out anything that has a child's name on it....even if it is just my cryptic notes......that shredder was BRAND NEW last Sept.....she ran so many papers through it that it would overheat....so then she would use the principal's until his overheated thus giving mine time to cool down....

luckily the school paid for the first one....and as a just in case, they bought me a new one too! both of mine at school are the crosscut ones....the one I have at home for personal use is a stripcut

the one I have at the HS will do up to 8 sheets, no paperclips
the one I have at the elem. will do 6 sheets but they have to be folded 'hotdog' style (so it will fit in the 4 inch opening).....it is really designed to do CDs, DVDs, Credit cards, etc....it is a media shredder that was really expensive but I got a kickin' rebate that made it SUPER cheap!

the sell shredder oil....I use the premade packet ones and they help TREMENDOUSLY on the crosscut shredders....though I dont use them as often as recommended

Rachel

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
They make me terribly nervous, even before I added a baby (now 6) to the house. I always do it away from the children, and unplug it before emptying bin or stepping away. (I save my shredding up until I can spend a half hour or more doing it all, every few months)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts