Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we lost Simon, the 13-year-old wether, sometime last night. He apparently decided he didn't like being in the barnyard with the buck, and made a break for it.

Funny thing is, I can't find anyplace where there are signs he got out. :shrug:

I spent the morning, fully dressed for work, walking the pastures...no Simon. Drove around, no Simon. So I put an ad on the local radio station's swap n shop.

All we can do now is hope.

If you come back, we'll be glad to see you. Otherwise, so long, old friend...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jim: So sorry to hear about Simon. Wow 13, good for him. I wish you the best of luck, there is nothing worse then not knowing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Call your local animal control officer as well. I used to be one, and you never know what you find. We had a 600 pound farm pig in a dog kennel once. No one ever claimed him. :(

Laura

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
How adorable is he??

Not to be morbid - but do goats wander off when they are ready to die like dogs or catd do? (Still new enough to goats not to have any elderly ones.)

I hope you see him again. :(

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, Simon is the last kid from my very first group of goats. He's not ready to die -- very healthy, actually, to have gotten out of the fence, which he had to basically jump or something -- but he will very likely be killed by predators or loose dogs here if he stays loose more than a night or two. He might have been killed already, being polled.

I was just feeding him range cubes last night.

Animal control is pretty much nonexistent in the county, unless someone finds him and brings him in to the pound. Good idea, I'll call there.

We once had a buck show up on our place, and put an ad on the radio that we had found it. The owners heard it, and came to get him. Turned out he was from several miles away and had been gone 4-5 days. That's why I have some hope, if he is found today or tomorrow.

This is the strangest thing that has ever happened. No sign of where he got out, and he didn't hang around. He's just gone.

Stuff like this makes me want to get back into cattle.

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Have you looked UNDER everything? Could something have fallen on him or he got wedged under something?

I had an elderly dog that I rescued that kept wandering off to the creek. I would go and get her. CARRY her back up the 30' embankment to the house and make her comfortable. She'd find a way to go back to the creek.

I couldn't find her for almost 6 months until the other portion of my dog pack brought up her collar and a leg. I finally found what was left of her... She died next to the creek. Her collar is in a place of honor at the back door... She was one of the neatest dogs I ever had. One of those shaggy Australian Shepherds without tail...

Sorry you can't find the old geezer...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gailann, I latch my gates in a certain way, for that reason. The latch was hooked that way this morning. There was a nice, beefy billy goat that would make far better BBQ than bony old Simon, in the same barnyard. He was there this morning. The barnyard abuts our backyard. Theives'd have had to either: 1.) drive in the drive, unlatch the gate, get Simon, load him, latch the gate back just as I had it...and all right by the house; or 2.) walk in from the back pastures, unlatch the back gate, get him, latch the gate back just as I had it, drag him all the way across the pastures, and load him from the side road.

No signs of any of that. No signs of struggle at all. He was in the barnyard, which is not a big place to be. I looked and looked all over that little barnyard this morning, no Simon. He MAY be under some trailer, dead, I dunno. He was BIG to do that, and I did look as best I could. But he was healthy, chipper, and I am pretty sure he just had it with the billy goat and took off somehow. Last time I saw him was at dusk, he and the billy were out nosing the girls through a common fence with the pasture.

This morning when I looked out the window, the billy was laid up, asleep, by the barn. No Simon. We had to get up a doe to stay with the billy; he was going nuts alone when the herd moved off to the back pasture.

I've called my nosiest neighbor to put out the word, called the radio station, and called the animal shelter. :shrug: We'll see what happens. He may very well end up on someone's BBQ if they find him, anyway. At 13, and bony, he won't make a very good meal.

Chris, I like the old guy, but it was his choice to go, so I can deal with that if he never returns. I always said he'd die here, as the last of my early goat line. If he chose to wander off and get killed or die somewhere else, it's fine with me. It's just the mystery of it all that gets me.

Now, a cow would have gotten out but hung around the place or nearby, til I could get her back in. Not a goat, though!

It's the second time an animal has ever gotten out in 17 years. The first was a cow, and I got the bucket and led her right back in, pretty as you please.

Anyway, walked and drove all over this morning, and now I am at work. What happens, happens.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean, look at this guy...too big to be crawling under trailers...

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Oh Jim that stinks. I hope you find him. I hate to say this but could he have gotten crushed by bales of hay or had something else fall on him? I read somewhere on here about a goat that they thought was lost or stolen but months or so later they found her under huge hay bales. I hope he turns up alive and well.

Not to change the subject but the little white doe behind him on the right looks just like Mimi's twin from a picture negative. Pure white while she is pure black. You have some nice looking goats and you would not trade them for big lumbering cows and those huge cow patties.

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Wow, in that one pic, at a real quick glance he DOES look a little like a holstein calf, with that colour. :cool:

I always thought that if a goat got loose, it wouldn't go too far on its own if all the other goats were still contained? Wouldn't a goat like that normally just hang around to be with his buddies? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I hope you find your goat, though. Good luck! Maybe some kid found him and has him tied up in their backyard, wondering what to do now?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dixy, once they get out, they can and do travel far and wide.

Now take Simon, for example. DW got the call this morning that has has been FOUND! :dance:

She called me on my cell on the way to work. The first thing she said was, "Simon's great adventure."

He was found hanging around outside the fence of another man who has goats...at least 3 MILES from my house! That is not bad traveling for a 13-year-old goat in one night and one day.

The man told DW he had heard our "lost" ad on the radio swap n shop. He said a neighbor had spotted Simon and called, thinking one of his goats was out. "That's the friendliest goat I ever saw," he said. "I wish mine were that friendly."

So the day started off really well. Plus, DW says he has a couple bucks he'd like to sell. Maybe Simon has helped me out!

UNDER EDIT: Oh yeah...he will NOT be going back in the barnyard! That would be futile now.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Yay! He's been found! He's such a cute 'ol guy. Thank goodness he's not dog food or BBQ!

My 'goat adventure' story is from a couple years ago back when I had so few goats I could afford to go on vacation... Actually, I had only two. Anywho, we left them in the care of our neighbor. While gone, they got out through the fence and walked down the roads that I would often take them for walks on, looking for me. They dodged cars and whatnot and munched a lady's garden near the lake that I would take them to. Upon not finding me, they returned safely to their pen, unbeknownst to the caretakers and us.

About two months after I returned from florida, a lady stopped me while I was goatwalking towards the lake.

"Are those your goats?" She asked. After giving her the affirmative, she told me a wonderful story about a white girl goat and a brown boy goat that looked 'exactly the same as those two' that were walking up and down the road and through her backyard, hollering and making it seem like they were looking for something. I asked her when, and the date she told me was a few days after I left for florida.

I found it amazing that they returned. And that they've never escaped since.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a good one, Donna! I dunno if Simon would have returned or not, but we once had a cat that wandered off -- he was like 19 at the time -- and we didn't see anything of him for a week, so we figured he was a goner. Did the whole mourning his loss thing, at the time DW had had him longer than she had me! I wrote a sappy remembrance story about it for the local daily paper, and the story was then picked up by the Humane Society newsletter.

Funny thing, tho... 3 days after the story was published, we were sitting in the living room watching TV when we heard 3 loud MEOWS at the door. What the...

Went to the front door, and there was kitty Ogre, sitting on the porch, looking none the worse for wear and quite pleased with himself. He had been neutered, so we reckon he just went out on "walkabout."

That cat lived to be 22, and died as the result of a head injury he got while in a fight with something!

·
Registered
362 Posts
HOORAY!!! Congrats Jim, I know you stated your indifference about if he returned, as it was his choice but I could tell you definitely wanted your boy back. Great news! Glad this story has a great ending!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, and yeah, I am glad he will be back. It's just that I believe firmly in striving to not obsess over things that are out of my control. I try to only obsess over stuff I do have control over. But yes, I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts