Things that come home to roost.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Prinls, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

A while back a friend of mine used my computer and internet. She frequents this sight also. Well it turns out she posted a few things that were under my sign in name. I always used to leave myself signed in. I was very upset with her because one of the posts was in the homesteading redneck thread and she said "if you have ever been heard to holler bad chicken get out of the house! and also about having to chase a goat off your bed. Well I really gave her a hard time about that especially since I have been house hunting and I told her no one would want me to have their house or be their neighbor thinking I let all these farm animals in the house.
    I recently had to find a place to pen in my formerly free range chickens and they are now right out my back door. The laundry room is right there and I find it easier to run the hose from there than the well. The door will not close with the hose running out of it. Imagine my chagrin when I found myself saying "bad chickens! get out of my house!"
    Just for the record though- I have never had a goat in my bed.
    Never owned a Hyundai and never dived a thriftstore.
    It must be karma Lauren.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Well, goats in the bed can be kinda cute. Annoying as all get out, but still kinda cute. I must admit, I have not had adult chickens in the house (yet).

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Well, I must admit, I have had a adult chicken live in my house for almost five years. She died in April and I still miss her terribly. She was a stray that came to my parents' home in a rain storm. When I brought her home, I had no place to keep one chicken and I live in the middle of the forest. So I put her in my dog's kennel (that she outgrew), and that's where she lived in my kitchen. Gave us a egg almost daily and they were so big that they didn't fit in the jumbo cartons.

Never had a goat in my bed, though my ex-husband could fall in that category at times.....

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had many chickens coming and going in here! I always brood them in the diningroom, and have had sick ones in cages here and there. Plus, when you leave the door open, sometimes they get bold and walk right in. It never fails to get a good laugh out of me when I hear little hooves running down the hall! They come in the back door and run out the front, and jump off the porch. Did I think my life would turn out like this? Not really, but I've never been happier! (And so far I've been lucky, no goat has ever pooped in here.)

5. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

I've kept sick chickens in the spare bedroom. But even if a well one wanted to come in for a visit I'd let her!
    karen

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I'm guilty. Trying to save a baby goat, I put it in my bed with the electric blanket on high. Not only that, I gave it CPR and mouth to mouth earlier that morning. My step-son almost had a cow when he saw the goat in the bed. Would I do it again? You bet! My goat is now grown and beautiful. I guess you either love animals or you don't.Love knows no bounds.Even have had baby chicks in a box with a light in the house to keep them alive.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've had chickens and ducks follow me in when I left the door open. I finally repaired the spring on the storm door, so they can't do that anymore, but it never really bothered me. I already have a macaw pooping in the house...what's the difference!?

Now, the goats have never been in. But they can't get to the door, either.

Meg

8. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

Chickens do rule here also. Right now I have 6 peeps and1 sick bird and 1 companion to the sick bird in the house. They are confined. Loose flocks of chickens in the house are another story. Actually some of these ladies could be better categorized as a gang rather than a flock. lol. Or maybe a band of feathered pirates. My pullet regularly breaks into my friends house to gift her with a pretty blue egg. Most days she is amused. Some days like yesterday when she found a dozen under her bed of indeterminate age, she is not. Her goat however is happily living with them.

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Awww come on chickens in the house...whats wrong with that??? We used to get one in here every now and then no biggie....I thought it was funny to see her in the house of course we took her back out when we discovered her but she was just a courious bird. We never had a goat on the bed but we have had a 115lb. rottweiler :p

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We had 2 goats once and the little girl died, so the little boy was lonely and would stand outside and cry till Mom would bring him in. He liked to climb on the sofa.

I only have 2 small brooders in the house right now, but last year I brooded nearly 200 birds total in the house. Hope to have a workshop/brooder house/storage shed built before I end up with a ton of brooders inside again tho. LOL

And I don't think I'm a 'redneck'. You don't need livestock to be a 'redneck' and having livestock doesn't make you one. I am a 'lady farmer', thankyou ver much! :)

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...reminds me of something that happened back in April. I was at the vet's picking up my injured dog Tom. When the tech told me to keep Tom confined to a very small room I said we couldn't keep him in the downstairs bathroom because there were chickens in there. Boy...did I get a funny look! LOL...I had six baby chicks in the bathroom at the time.

Not long after that I had a baby possum in the laundry room. Moved him to the front porch after a few weeks and eventually set him free when he was big enough to be on his own.

Currently the only thing in the house, other than dogs, is a terrapin. He's in the shower right now. His name is Repete because this is the fourth time the dogs have brought him to the house. (He has a scar on his shell so we are able to recognize him.)

Of course, we have five dogs sleeping in the bedroom every night with 2-3 of them in the bed every night. Guess that makes me a redneck, which is nothing I'm ashamed to admit. Ever hear Lewis Grizzard's commentary on rednecks?

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

This fun thread reminds me of the time that my Mom baked bread on our little ranch...she mastered the wood stove for baking...don't know how! She made lovely bread and cakes in that thing....Anyway, she put the dozen loaves of bread out on the countertop on racks to cool and we all jumped in the pickup to go get my brother.

We we returned the nanny goat had broken in the front door(one of those with several little windows in it?.....That darned goat had taken a bite out of every loaf of bread, drug them off onto the floor of course, got into the cupboards and hauled out boxes of cereal and bunches of other stuff...opened everything and scattered it all over..got into the cold box and broke most of the eggs....ruined the leftovers...then for some reason went into my folks' bedroom and defecated all over their bed! LOL

Mom hated that goat anyway..hated to milk her and that was the last straw..Mom shot the goat! LOL

I sleep with my dogs too..good early warning systems.... ;) LOL Got to say I wouldn't let a chicken in my house though..a duck is OK, they don't have lice and mites.

LQ

13. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

My dd just reminded me that our very first goat did spend the night in the house. It was after dark and at that time we had no lights in the shed no way was I going out there in the dark. We put a diaper on her and she slept in a playpen. The weird part was that we had a diaper and playpen as my youngest was probably 8 and certainly didn't use either. I am glad to hear I have plenty of company.

14. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

Bless all your hearts. You people are beautiful. I thank you for sharing your compassion for your animals.

15. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If I leave the door open for long during the day, a whole gang of free range chickens will pour in, looking for new territory to lay claim too...

I'd rather have my critters in the house, than a lot of people I know... :p

16. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Since she was signed in as you, you can edit the posts, or delete them if you wish.

17. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

MAW, Afor ya git laid down, turn them durn chickins up on the headboard end fer end!!

18. Prinls

Prinls Active Member

Thank you everyone! This is great. I thought I was one of the few, now I know I am one of many. I love reading your stories and have been laughing like crazy. Last December I found a nest of about 4 dozen eggs outside. I didn't know how long they had been there but being ever frugal I couldn't bring myself to just throw them away. I also ofcourse couldn't put them in with the eating eggs. I thawed them out as many were frozen and threw away those with cracks. I picked 36 of those and put them in the incubator. I had never had too much luck with the hovabator and wasn't expecting much. Figuring it was better than throwing them away and that maybe I might get 1 or 2 to hatch out as a winter project(chick TV). Well I really didn't hold out much hope as everyone KNOWS that frozen eggs can't hatch. On Christmas day 2 dozen or so hatched out. All but 1 was healthy. That 1 was spraddle legged. I had had I chick like this before and had bad results. We had let that chick be house bird(caged). When he grew into the huge rooster he was meant to be he had alot of problems and finally ended up dying after we were all attatched to Who-birdie. I had resolved never to let a bird go through that again. Despite this the new little chick kept escaping her death sentence. Something always changed my mind or interfered. Amazingly this chick recovered. This is the same one who breaks into my friends house at every oportunity. She is not crippled just maybe a little limp. My friends daughter named her Twist. These birds were like a little Christmas miracle. They certainly kept us entertained and brought a smile to me many time in what was one of the most stressful winters of my life. As a side note. Even though I had resolved to shut down the incubator for the winter(I have graduated to a sportsman) I now have some of Twists pretty blue eggs in there now. I candled last night and they are doing great. This is all my friends fault. She says I need a 12 step program for poultry addiction. I say she is my prime enabler. After all, Twist's eggs wouldn't be in there if she hadn't brought home 2 dozen hatching from some place that had a really pretty rooster. I had to keep the incubator going after that ofcourse and how can you run one that can hold hundreds of eggs for just 24? Thankfully to help me justify this the muscovy ducks have started laying again and I do so need more muscovy ducks. Now that we have to keep it running for 5 more weeks we are going to put some of my youngest dd's pet chicken eggs in there. Only because it would be a waste of incubator space ofcourse. Thank goodness for this though as NY winters are really long and we have no TV up here. Chick channel will see us through.

19. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

DH got me a small incubator (I think it will hold 30 some eggs) and I finally unpacked it and utilized it to hatch chicks out this spring. We really enjoyed it and he was tickled pink to see me finally use it. I always use the garage and hang a heat lamp from the ceiling in there, with the tub of chicks under it. I don't have chickens or goats running through the house but I have plenty of cats, a dog & DH! I would not hesitate to bring a sick animal into the house if they were needing special attention. My neighbors had their baby goats in a pen in their basement when they were first born too.

Gotta love the animals!

20. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

We recently purchased 15 acres, a 40 yr old single-wide trailer, and a 48x48 horse barn. We *plan* to build a small house, but are "making due" with the trailer while we scrape together a down payment, etc.

wellllll.... the trailer has some leaks and sort-of sinks every now and then, so our doors are either too loose or too tight. Kindof funny when DH is on the pot and the door just magically swings wide!

So, the 2 goaties love to hang out on our porch and one day the door must've magically swung open while we were in town. We came home to a GOAT RIOT! Forget the looters in New Orleans! These goats left nothing unturned- they head butted over lamps, tables, boxes- they tore up all my Country Living Magazines and farm supply catalogs, pulled the bread off the counter, head-butted the sofa cushions, etc etc. Thank Goodness they missed the door to the computer room!

I have never been happier than when I was running through this house, laughing hysterically, screeching "Goaties! Goaties OUT! Naughty Naughty!!!"

strangely enough, they didn't poop or pee the whole time they were playing.

Now, we lock the doors while we're INSIDE, because the goats try to push the doors open on purpose....