Things I found today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jul 17, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

While mowing today, I've found (so far):

an ancient tire gauge
    an old horse shoe and a rusted bridle
    several pieces of green hose, cut at approx 1' lengths
    the remains of what appear to be shock absorbers
    a television antenna
    the head of a bald Barbie doll
    some old socks
    yet another brick for the patio I'm building with all the bricks I'm finding here
    some tar roofing material
    a black pipe
    odd large soldered things
    what appears to be part of a fender

2. What kind of area are you mowing? Are you scouting out the area you're mowing before getting on the mower? Someone that lives near ran over a piece of barbed wire last month, it embedded in her thigh and she ended up in the emergency room. Just be sure to walk the area you intend to mow.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I got wire in my thigh last summer. :)

It hurt!

Needless to say, the previous occupants were kind of --- well, pigs. :) Their idea of taking out the trash was opening the back door and tossing it into the high grass where they couldn't see it.

These days, I keep the mower blade very high, which also makes the teeny tiny frogs and toads happy, and leaves some clover for the bumble bees.

Add to the list: another odd piece of soldered metal; another sock (with a teeny tiny frog living on it - I left it be for now); some ancient bottle caps.

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to my husband & the doctor wouldn't believe that he hadn't been shot until he saw the xray. (I think he thought I shot him). It was 2 inches deep, & he had to have surgery to get it out.

5. We have some slobs in our area too. They don't even look for tall grass to throw it in. It looks to me like they open the door, stand back and let it land where it may. They don't have a yard, all it is is a trash heap right up on all sides of the house. What an eye-sore! Good for you on cleaning it up!

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Ouchy, one heck of a splinter.

When I'm mowing I only seem to find things that are chopped up, odd...

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

This land is truly gorgeous. :) Believe me, it's a pleasure cleaning it up (except when I got the wire in my thigh :no: ).

And OD, I thought at first when it happened a neighbor had missed shooting lunch and gotten me instead! :haha:

8. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

I love old homestead sites! The services I offer clients includes cleaning up old barns and houses. My "Tracker" sense goes into high gear... It helps the work go by quicker when I try and figure out how the previous owners/dwellers lived and worked. I have a good collection of trinkets and junk. Right now I am soaking a little blue bottle to use as a slide for the guitar. I found it in an old outhouse site that I had excavated for a tornado shelter. Sometimes I feel like Indiana Jones! :yeeha:

mc

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

mousecat, my best find here has been an ancient axe. !!

Although the pliars weren't too bad a find. That gave me two sets of pliars, which you need anyway.

The hole full of old diapers was a bit much, though. :rolleyes:

10. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

When we first moved in here we found many many liquor bottles in teh beginnings of the woods right in line with the deck!! I guess they old owners used to drink and chug the bottles into the forest. I think we have most of them cleared out now, but it took a few years!!!
    Alice in Virginia

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

When I bought my country place 18yrs ago it was covered with junk. Mowing was a Real adventure. Be carefull!

12. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Over the past four years I have found whiskey bottles, mason jars, five tires, about fifty miles of barbed wire, three holes full of household garbage, ten sheets of tin, a bathtub, three fenders, half of an old Chevy, I lost count of the rusty 55 gallon drums, and a busted comode(sp?) which I found with my bare foot and got ten stitches for my discovery. I still have about half an acre to clear and I am actually kind of affraid of what I might find in there :haha:

13. "I got wire in my thigh last summer."

A WAG, but that wouldn't happen to be the same area as where the muscle cramps are happening, would it?