Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my great nephews came here on Friday afternoon. They came to bring me a birthday happy from my sister. I was in the backyard hanging clothes on the line. The 13 year old came around the house to the clothes line talking all the way. All of a sudden he stopped, looked at the clothes hanging on the line, then looked at me and asked in a shocked tone of voice...."Is that the way y'all dry your clothes?"

He went back to my sister and was explaining to her that I dry my clothes on a clothesline. He had never seen clothes hanging on a line to dry.

The happy is a rosemary plant. I broke off a little piece for them to smell. They backed up like I was giving them poison. I put the little sprig in my mouth and nephew screamed "AUNT JAN DON"T EAT THAT!" I explained to him that rosemary is a herb I use to cook with. LOL

I think I need to invite him over to visit more often. This child need educated.

SGG

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
My niece (she was maybe 4 at the time) spent the night with us. We were getting ready for church and I had to iron my shirt. When I was getting ready to plug in the iron she held her ears and said "is it going to be loud?" Apparently my sister doesn't iron much...ha ha!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
My niece (she was maybe 4 at the time) spent the night with us. We were getting ready for church and I had to iron my shirt. When I was getting ready to plug in the iron she held her ears and said "is it going to be loud?" Apparently my sister doesn't iron much...ha ha!
That's really funny!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
how about wind up watches, percolator coffee pots, dial phones and grocery store checkers who had to ring up purchases by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
There are so many thing kids now days don't know about. It's ashame a lot of them will never know or see some of the older ways of doing things. All they know are technology.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Typewriter... I was reading the book,Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type to my son.... he didn't know what a typewriter was.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
How are we gonna teach kids what 'clockwise' means, when all the clocks are digital?

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
How about a phone that has a CORD.
car windows you have to roll down yourself

Or we were singing the little "Up on the House top"
"Next comes the stocking of little Nel,
O, Dear Santa, fill it well."
Give her a dolly that laughs and cries,
One that will open and shut its eyes."

My son asked who would want a doll that only did that.....

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Also, it is now up to the parents (or somebody) to teach these kids who ELVIS was....

I mean who he IS, sorry.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I'm afraid tying shoe laces will be next. I've seen these "springy" laces being advertised; you just pull them through the lace holes on the shoes and the coils of the springs hold the shoe tight.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Drives me nuts when I come across kids who don't know where "chicken nuggets" come from! Or hamburger, bacon, etc, take your pick...

Twila

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Last year we went to one of my sister's house for an early Thanksgiving. I noticed two relatives laughing and watching someone through the kitchen door. They would watch, hide behind the door, laugh.....and look back again. I went to investigate and my youngest son was standing in front of their brand new fancy refrigerator that has one of those ice cube/crusher holes in the door and he was filling up a cup with ice, dumping it in the sink, changing the shape of the cube, filling it up again......and the look of awe on this face was great! "HEY MOM" he said "LOOK at their ice!"

He had never seen such a thing!

When the relatives come up here, they all take photos of themselves in our best Out House!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm afraid tying shoe laces will be next. I've seen these "springy" laces being advertised; you just pull them through the lace holes on the shoes and the coils of the springs hold the shoe tight.

When I was keeping children here at home, I had several parents that would buy their child shoes with velcro closings so they (parents) didn't have to teach the child to tie their shoes.

I made it a point to teach these children to tie their shoes. I mean there are somethings that kids just need to know. :)

Jan

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Mushcreek: The answer to your question of how do we teach kids what "clockwise" is in a digital world? It's hard. It sets kids behind when teaching math concepts beyond clocks and passage of time. Think of referring to a picture starting at ___'clock or some reference point. Think of figures/shapes that are rotating .....We have numerous concept problems in the classroom because of this.

Please parents: Buy an old fashioned analog (non-digital) clock to teach your child how to tell time.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
How about when they are shocked that you can actually "make" frosting--you don't have to have a can of it. Or gravy. You don't have to have a mix to make gravy.

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
Drives me nuts when I come across kids who don't know where "chicken nuggets" come from! Or hamburger, bacon, etc, take your pick...

Twila
Chicken Nuggets come from McDonalds as does hamburgers. I am pretty sure no animals are harmed in their making

:grit:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts