thin show sheep...need help!!!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by dvcowboy, Jan 15, 2007.

1. dvcowboy

dvcowboy Well-Known Member

We are feeding the kids' show sheep 3 lbs show sheep feed a day with hay also. We were told to feed 2 lbs of feed. They are fairly thin but have been wormed several times since we got them. they weigh on avarage 110 lbs, but there is one small one that weighs less. how much/what should we be feeding to get them up to show weight? Is it possible for show season?

Thanks for any help you can give

2. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

This is not a problem we have, we usually are at the other end of the scale. Only thing I can think is have you change wormers? Different wormers work on different worms and Do you feed everyone separately. G&S

3. dvcowboy

We use a broad spectrum wormer so hopefully that isn't the problem

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Bring a fecal sample in to a vet. Here, the cost is just $6, well worth the effort as they can let you know where the weakness may lie and help you find a dewormer that may target the problem (if indeed it is a problem.)

5. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Do you have a picture of these lambs?

Melissa

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Caveat: I have no idea what I am talking about, this is more of a related question than an actual suggestion!

Would molasses in the water be of any help?

I'm wondering if any of the experienced folks here could comment on that. I know it is a good 'energy booster' for many animals (and it has the added bonus of raising the freezing temperature of the water, a big plus where I live).

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

We raise our show lambs on complete feed (Nutrena Ringmaster) and no hay between weaning and the end of show season or until the market lambs go to auction (either way, end of August). Ewes kept over as dry yearlings are fed alfalfa through the winter, until March when they're put back on ringmaster, gradually working up to a 1 lb of feed per 25 lbs of weight. By the time they're 110 lbs, they're getting 4 to 4 1/2 lbs of feed a day, split between two feedings - this is the ration they stay on through show season (for ewes) or until market auction for wethers. Our show wethers are born in January, wormed at 3 and 6 weeks, then every 6 weeks through show season (April - mid Sept), and B complex boosters for stress. Club type lambs are not supposed to look pot bellied. Are these jr livestock lambs, or 4H/FFA lambs? Muscle weighs more than fat, you should be conditioning the lambs, not stuffing feed into them. I think you're definitely not feeding them enough.

Good show lamb info:
    http://www.mylamb.com/

Here is a 110 lb champion show lamb. (and my beautiful daughter)
    [​IMG]

8. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Just knowing the current weight isn't enough. I've seen 110 lbs be the perfect finishing weight for a smaller-framed Dorset at our 4-H fair in July, while 124 wasn't enough for some of the big framey Suffolks. Also, you need to have some kind of idea of whether they are gaining. What did they weigh when you started, how long have you been feeding? Good club lambs on the right feed often top a pound of gain per day during the last 60 days (although I would have to say that during the years that I worked at the fair scales, 3/4 lb per day was more the average). Assuming that these are market lambs/club lambs, I think I would up the feed slowly but also make sure they are getting some serious exercise.

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Though I do not show, I do walk my ram occassionally, and have found he eats better with exercise. Bodies need a certain amount of exercise to function properly-- even in the digestive department..

I use the walking to find out what things interest him as far as forage is concerned-- as I rake up some stuff out of the fields on a regular basis, and throw him the stuff he likes!!! he loves oak leaves!! Forget the rushes, but NutSedge is a delicacy, as far as he is concerned.

10. dvcowboy

we excersize the lambs daily and they are bright and alert, if that helps...it sounds like they weren't getting enough feed. Sounds like a deal like my mom got into when my siblings had sheep. The ag teacher told her a small coffee can full of feed a day, needless to say, when my bros. got their lambs to the show, they were much much smaller........turns out the ag teacher had "other interests".......our kid's ag teacher told us 2 lbs a day........hmmmmm Thanks for all your help, and we'll see what we can do! We really appreciate it, and of course if you have any other ideas, it would be great to hear them. I'll try to get my son to take some pics as soon as he is out of school and post them