Thin Goaties

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoatLove, Dec 27, 2006.

1. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

I have noticed over the past few weeks, that my 2 Lamancha/Nubian wethers are looking a little thinner than usual. I haven't changed anything food-wise. Pooping and peeing normally. I just don't understand :shrug:

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like they need to be wormed, imo. Find a wormer that still works in your area. You can check thier eyelids... They should be bright pink. Compare them with other goats to see how thier lids should look... I would go ahead and worm the entire herd.

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I second the need for worming. How old are these wethers? If they are young, they should also be on cocci prevention. You can have damage to the intestines without ever seeing diarrhea, which inhibits how much nutrition they absorb from their food. It could be, too, that they are just simply burning more calories staying warm this time of year, although from what I'm hearing, Maryland has been warmer than normal so far this winter. You may want to give them a little more grain (and AC for UC prevention) along with the free choice hay to up their calories. Plenty of hay keeps their rumens active and producing heat. Rice bran adds fat to their diets, as does BOSS, and this may help them keep their weight up, too. We have an old doe in our herd that needs extra supplements every winter just to maintain her weight, whether pregnant or open.

4. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

I will definately worm them again. Rex and Rocky are 2.5 years old and healthy as ox's so far. Yes, it has been really warm for this time of year. I just gave them a nice helping of grain. They have access to hay 24/7. Thanks for helping me out :) Also, what wormer do you recommend? Ivermectin?

5. Caprice Acres

I use ivermectin myself, but you should use what is proper for your area... Maybe ask some goat/sheep breeders what kind still works?

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

What I do is take in a fecal sample to the vet. They wil be able to tell you the dewormer that you will bee for the worm or eggs that you have. different wormers, for different worms.

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If I was you and your not sure your wormer is working I would take a poo sample to the vet to see what type of worms you maybe dealing with but of course go to a vet that knows goats. Next if are going to worm you goats I would use Ivomec unless it's not working at you place.

Good Luck.

8. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Ivermectin is still workin in NJ so I would think it would be working in MD.

9. Caprice Acres

It varies locally, not statewide. It depends on how many farms in your area uses the wormer, as well as how long you individually have been using it. If yours stops working on your farm, you switch, and whatnot.