Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a doe that had twins may 10. They are growing well. The mom though is not doing so well.She has a cough and is loosing weight. She has been wormed and given a round of albon,probios.She is not anemic she is giving plenty of milk.She eats fine and just keeps getting thinner. I am thinking that these two fast growing kids are a strain on her. I am wondering if 8 weeks is to soon to pull the buckling? Or should I pull them both? I think that might be too stressful for her.She was wormed with cydectin and has no temp.Any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I had 3 like that, fortunately worming and then once more at 13 days did the trick for me. It did take the two times, though.

I'd say:

1. Fecal sample, to make sure it's working.

2. Cocci. I give sulfa drug (choose your brand) in the water.

Both can be subclinical, just drag her enough to keep her down under the stress of milking. The beauty of the sulfa antibiotic is, it will also kill out other bugs unknown. It's not as good when things get acute, then I opt for injection, but for stuff like you have it can't hurt and often on my place clears matters up with a 7-10 day course. Don't give a short course, cuz that breeds resistance in the bugs. I like it in the water cuz it is minimum work, and I am lazy. :p

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
I had a doe like that. Tremendous milker, but she threw EVERYTHING into the milk bucket and feeding her kids, keeping nothing for herself. I could hardly wait until I could wean the kids at 8 weeks, then I'd take her down to milking once a day, and she'd start to put on weight again. After three to four weeks, she'd be sleek and glossy.

I'd get the kids off your doe (8 weeks is definitely old enough), taper her off to milking once a day, and she should get back into condition pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the sulmet from jeffers yesterday. I don't milk her , she not only feeds her kids but her grandkids as well when they can sneak a drink. I think I will pull the buckling and leave the doe. He is pestering everyone anyhow and he eats grain and hay well.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
What are you feeding her?

If she's milking (and even if you aren't milking her, she's still producing), then she shoudl be getting good quality hay and or alfalfa pellets, and a small amount of grain (2-3#) per day. When mine are really productive and get thin like this I give them black oil sunflower seeds as well.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with feeding is mine get browse, hay,alfalfa pellets,and goat mix . I don't feed anyone separate. All the rest are in good condition and she isn't at the bottom of the pecking order so she gets her share and probably some of someone elses.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Are the other goats dairy animals? Are they in milk?

You do not check her udder every day? Speaking from experience (I seem to learn everything the hard way) this is begging for trouble. It's pretty amazing how much damage can be done to a teat or udder and the doe will not show it. They mask pain really well.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Oh. Actually, I know nothing at all about Boer goats. I don't pretend to know anything about their management, either. I have no idea how the Boer people keep tabs on udder health, but it must be a non-issue or maybe that's why they breed for extra teats?

Is your doe full Boer? If she's half dairy she may lose flesh easier..I don't know. Like I said, I know nothing about Boers, have never owned even one. I've seen them on other people's places and that's about it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think something is up with the worm situation. Lungworm maybe? When we had some problems, we purchased Panacur and gave that. It was equine Panacur and we gave 2 times the dose, once a day for 3 days in a row. In other words, if your goats weighs 200 lbs, you set the dial to 400 lbs on the tube. It fixed our goats right up!! You need to check her gums and eyelids. They should be very pink to almost reddish. If they are pale or whitish, you need to get some red cell in her and supplement with it, twice a day until the pink comes back. She might have lice. We use Cylence which is a cattle lice treatment. It works great. Full size goats get 3 cc's on their skin, down the spine. I use a syringe without the needle. Goats get redosed in 3 wks to break the cycle of the lice. You might also want to give her a little extra feed. Is she the only one feeding babies? You should probably separate her since her requirements are much greater. I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. She is not the only one nursing. Her coat looks fine no lice.I am glad to know about the cylence though cause we had a problem this winter.Her gums and eyelids are bright pink. I think I will take a fecal sample to vet to check on worm situation. Doesn't lung worm need slugs or snails or something? They are in a dry pasture and the weather is dry? I think I am going to pull her buckling to give her a better chance and worm again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts