Thin Doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LadyofTheBarn, Jan 21, 2007.

1. LadyofTheBarn

LadyofTheBarn I Love My Dairy Goats <3

One of my does who is (hopefully) pregnant for the first time seems to have lost weight. She's much thinner and doesn't have that "wedge shape." My older doe tosses her around a lot and slams her into walls and everything else imaginable. She also will bite her ears, etc. Is it possible an injury from being batted around is causing her to be thin(ner)? Should i separate the two? Especially since my older doe may harm any possible kids inside of the younger doe? Or could it be worms? She has a normal appetite...should i just pick up her grain a bit?

Thanks in advance!

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Yes I would seperate her if I was you. She might not be getting all the food she needs as the older doe might not be letting her eat. I would seperate her and see if she starts to improve. How far along is she in pregnency? You might want to pick up her grain a bit (I think I would). I am not sure on the worming...thats why I ask how far along she is.

You can worm during pregnency but not always the best I have heard.

MotherClucker

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Separate them and worm the skinny doe. The big doe is probably preventing her from eating,

4. LadyofTheBarn

She was bred December 1st. Should I just separate them first and see if she gains weight. That way I don't have to deal with any complications from deworming?

5. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

No I would seperate and worm. I can't remember the safe wormer to use for a doe during pregnency.....I hope Vicki or somebody see's this soon as she knows. The only thing is that if she was bred in December DocM don't you think it would safer to wait another week or so? Hmm....I have never had to worm my does while pregnent so I am not sure.

MotherClucker

6. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

DO NOT use Valbazen on a pregnant doe, if you do she will abort. You can use Ivermectin or Cydectin.

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I would seperate the doe away from the others and then check to see if she needs to be wormed. If you wormed her before she was bred she may not need to be wormed again but it is best to check and see if she has worms. Check the eyelids to see if nice and red or pink if are then she don't need to be wormed. Sounds like it mostly where she isn't getting enough to eat is why she not gaining any weight due to the others pushing her away and not letting her eat.

Good Luck with your goats. :)

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way to know if you need to worm your doe is to take a fecal sample to your vet or a knowledgable goat breeder. I hate putting any unnecessary drugs into a pregnant goat, but I will worm with Ivermectin after the first few weeks of pregnancy if necessary. I would definately seperate her from a goat that is beating on her.

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i think it is an excellent idea to do a fecal check and than decide if she needs to be wormed or not. there are some wormers like ivermectin that are not good for does in the first trimester. valbazen is not used for pregnant does at all. ask your vet about it. i also would seperate the two does. i can imagine the only reason why she is so thin is because the bossy doe does not let her eat.
    i would not put more grain out as you only produce metabolic problems. give her some good quality hay, alfalfa and a good quality mineral.

10. LadyofTheBarn

Thanks for all the replies :)

I went out and put the little doe in a separate pen next to the other goats. I'll check in to doing a fecal sample as well.

Thanks again!

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

susanne, could you please post more info on why ivermectin is not good during the first trimester? As you know, accurate information about wormers and goats is not readily available.

What wormers would you recommend and at what stages of pregnancy?

12. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi..Panacur is safe for prego girls. I know..I know..like candy most people say. But..I live in Iowa..and for certain worms...Panacur still works on this herd. I see you're in Ill. depending on the load and type..it may work for you too.

I had a doe do the exact same thing yours is doing...only she had been just weaned. I wormed her (to the extreme for this place) and I took her away from the does she was with. She went into a lot with two little Dexter bulls and a pregnant daughter of hers.

The daughter still picked on her a bit..but one of the little bulls sort of adopted her. She would sleep curled up next to him to keep warm at night. I also...thanks to Jillis..started adding some sunflower seeds to her grain mix.

All in all...it took a while for the weight to start coming back. But yesterday she came into heat..was spunky with her daughter and stood up for herself. I don't think I was as worried about the weight as I was the mindset of this doe. She has now decided to regain her territory..

I wouldn't worm her if she doesn't need it..and I would definitely separate. Good luck!

13. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

jillis this can lead to deformity of the developing kids.

14. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If my bred does need to be wormed and only if they needed to be wormed I worm mine with either IVOMEC or Safe Guard but where you live it may not work. Some wormers work at certain places when others may not be working at all.

NEVER USE VALBAZEN ON A PREGNANT GOAT. It's not safe to.

Good Luck.

15. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

So is Ivermec safe or not safe for does in early pregnancy? Although I don't worm my pregnant girls unless absolutely necessary and only later on, I'd like to see the research on possible harmful effects. I think it's quite conclusive Valbazen shouldn't be used, but I've really not heard of Ivermec being a danger.