Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new one on me! I was filling water crocks this morning, twisting the dishes to crack the ice out of them. One of the Harlequin bucks looked to have water still in his dish. I thought "that's odd" because everyone else had ice. I touched the surface and it gave like an almost-set jello. I put my hand all the way in and it was like slush that I could sieve out with my fingers. What's even stranger is that he is on the bottom tier of cages and the water always freezes first down there. :shrug:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Could he have pee'd in it?

I know a while back one of my does had really bad thick pee, i was told it wasnt life threatning if treated soon. Treatment: LOTS of hay!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a fairly deep dish - he'd have to be very athletic to pee in it. :banana02: And it wasn't discoloured in any way. Just . . . thick. Like sheets of slush all through it.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
My dog's dish gets a little "thick" at times, but I always attributed it to drool.

It is possible, I've found, for rabbits to get their excreta into pretty high places. One of my does regularly poos in her J-feeder. <shrug> The bucks also pee into their water dishes, which are a good height.

Maybe it's just cold weather making the water act funny. Do you have a water softener or anything like that?

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, no water softener, and tonight his water dish had the normal thin skin of ice on top. Must have been some weird combination of conditions. Or shape-changing aliens. :D

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
No, no water softener, and tonight his water dish had the normal thin skin of ice on top. Must have been some weird combination of conditions. Or shape-changing aliens. :D
I vote for the paranormal :eek: :D

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I do have a few shape-shifting aliens on the property. And we all know about goats! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts