Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_re_us/flooding

"In Dyer, Ind., 30 miles south of Chicago, authorities began evacuating St. Margaret Mercy Hospital as water from a creek behind the building began seeping in. About 70 patients were being moved to other hospitals, spokeswoman Maria Ramos said."

I sometimes work at this one, but usually at the one in hammond.....YIKES!

I started at the hospital as a paitient transporter, I wonder why they didn't give me a ring?

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I just called work to confirm, and they said its a bloody mess, mud, through the whole first floor--er flooded, everything. They had to take patients out through the dr's lounge area which wasnt being effected yet---- and thats the one with the psycho ward too, i bet that difficult!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
The most common psych problem is depression, followed by bipolar disorder. So a small hospital isn't likely to have too many patients likely to act up in that situation.

It's not like its a long-term residential facility for the criminally insane. More likely just bunch of folk who are indifferent about staying alive, plus a couple of cantankerous personality disorder patients.

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
suburbanite said:
The most common psych problem is depression, followed by bipolar disorder. So a small hospital isn't likely to have too many patients likely to act up in that situation.

It's not like its a long-term residential facility for the criminally insane. More likely just bunch of folk who are indifferent about staying alive, plus a couple of cantankerous personality disorder patients.

Spoken by someone that has never worked in the psych ward. :rolleyes:
Dangerous behavior is not limited to large hospitals, trust me.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Shygal, small hospitals have fewer patients of that ilk because they are small. Trust me. Psych patients are most commonly shipped off to the county inpatient psych facility at the earliest opportunity; only the ones with actual medical problems are kept in the hospital, and then only until their medical problems are resolved.

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
suburbanite said:
Shygal, small hospitals have fewer patients of that ilk because they are small. Trust me. Psych patients are most commonly shipped off to the county inpatient psych facility at the earliest opportunity; only the ones with actual medical problems are kept in the hospital, and then only until their medical problems are resolved.

Okie dokie then

Of course a smaller hospital with smaller number of beds, are going to have a smaller number of patients. :rolleyes:
When is the last time you worked at a small hospital? Small does not mean that dangerous patients can not be there.

Not every place HAS a county inpatient psych facility. There is ONE hospital in the entire state of Vermont which is full, and you just cant "ship them off" at a hospital's convenience. Small hospitals are often forced to keep such patients, merely because the area does not HAVE a facility that larger areas might have.

There is such a thing as "ideal" and then there's "reality".

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Just as you do, I assume.

Not everything is the way you say it is. But I am wasting my time here, it's apparent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.