They're Running Strong

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Back2Basix, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Received a call yesterday while meeting with a client and an immediate text there after.... "The kings are running"

So i finished the appointment, put the out of office on, and ran home to change out of my suit. 1hr later we've got a cooler full of beer and snacks planning to hit the water at 5pm. Trailer lights for the boat weren't working, tried some "afro-engineering", ran to O'Reillys because we had to rewire the whole dang thing.

1hr late but the boat hit finally got wet, motored down river, and we hit open water on lake Michigan around 6:20pm. Did i mention they were in 130ft of water?? So a few beers in and the depths reading 101ft so we decide to start the lines and work our way out. 3 of 9 rods in and 1 popped at 108ft. Didn't mark any fish on fish-finder but 20min later we had our first 20lb+ king in the boat.

Get the rod back out, start setting another 2 lines and POP!!!! We had another king on. As that ones coming in, POP goes another rod. I'm holding the second as the first crossed the 300ft Copper Rod creating a clusterf**k of a mess. Get that one in the boat, untangled everything for 25 minutes as I'm holding another 20lb king on the end of my rod. Reset the line as I'm bringing her in and POP goes the other rod.

This went on 1 more time until rain/lightning developed south of us. Had to bring in the rods because they were snapping and cracking with electricity from the air.

Planned to be out till 10:30pm but came back in by 8:30pm with no room left in the cooler for fish and a few beers left.

They always say "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work" but I'd like to ask them why they don't have a saying about a "damn good day of fishing"

Cheers!!!

B2B

IMG_20170810_204527645.jpg IMG_20170810_194311259.jpg

Solar Geek likes this.
  2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow! Looks like you guys had a great time. What will you do, smoke them?

3. Back2Basix

Cedar planked tail sections were dinner last night for the wife and i.

The 3 huge ones were chopped into 2" steaks for the smoker. Probably 50lbs total will be thrown on the smoker plus a few lake trout that another boat kept but didn't want to eat. Its my belief the only thing you can do with lake trout is smoke or fish boil

4. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is running strong?

5. Back2Basix

We haven't had a good king salmon movement down here in a while!!

6. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member