Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby is so mad right now he wants to shoot someone. He just got the new mailbox up yesterday, picked up mail in it this morning and now it's gone! :flame:

This is the second box to be stolen in less than two weeks. I've called the Post Office and the Sheriff's Office and am waiting for a deputy to come out to file a report. I have to call the Post Master back tomorrow as he wasn't in today.

The new box wasn't even up 24 hours! :grump:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ravenlost said:
Hubby is so mad right now he wants to shoot someone. He just got the new mailbox up yesterday, picked up mail in it this morning and now it's gone! :flame:

This is the second box to be stolen in less than two weeks. I've called the Post Office and the Sheriff's Office and am waiting for a deputy to come out to file a report. I have to call the Post Master back tomorrow as he wasn't in today.

The new box wasn't even up 24 hours! :grump:
You are wasting your time. They, the sheriff's office and post master general will say that they are glad you reported it, but unless they catch them in the act, there is nothing they can do. This has been going on here for the past 40 years that I know of. That is why, after our mail was stolen and the mail box beaten to pieces, we no longer have a mail box. I have to drive 14 miles to get the mail at the post office now. And then I could tell you about how the post office lost all my tax records in the mail this year. No telling who recieved them. Very Scary these days!!

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The deputy just left. He's as puzzled as I am. He took photos and asked that we call when a new box is put up so he can take photos of it. He lives right down the road and this is his patrol area. Said he'd keep an eye on things.

I am going to ask the Post Master in the morning about us putting our box up off the road. Our drive is a 1/2 mile and, while I don't want them coming up to the house because of the dogs, we could put the box at the locked gate.

We shall see. NO WAY am I going to give in and pay rent on a box in town. I hate going to town and don't need another reason to go. Plus, it is our right to have a box and I will not give in to theivery.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
I agree that the cops 'cop out' on this one. People have been known to attach the mailbox to a rolling cart of some kind, roll it out in the morning then back in when the mail comes. You can spend a buttload of money (try sporties) and buy a mailbox that is M60 proof and weighs about 40 lbs. We had problems with kids hitting ours (elderly owners had cemented it in and we think it became the local 'challenge'). Finally busted it and when we put a new one, it was busted and up the road in no time. I wish I could have been there to see their faces when the jolting pain of hitting the monster mailbox permeated through their arms. I hope it busted their arm. You probably can buy some ninhydrin and spray it on the mailbox. It is invisible but the perp's hands will be purple.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Hypothetically speaking...

I've seen two avenues taken:

1. You make a mailbox out of schedule 80 pipe, weld it to a steel pipe post, and concrete it in. They may knock it down, but it's too heavy to haul off, and besides, they'll be crying too hard from the damage done to their truck. :Bawling:

2. A plastic mailbox put in place so that tearing it off the post would pull the handle off a grenade simulator. A real grenade was not used for obvious reasons - it will shred your mail.

A grenade simulator contains no shrapnel, but contains lots of bang...

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I figured out who may be doing it. On the corner about a mile (or less) from our mailbox lives two boys (ages 11-15). They obviously have a summer visitor because when hubby and I left at 11:15 they were riding four wheelers. No one was home (I guess both parents work as there were no cars at the house).

When we got home at 12:00 the three boys were sitting in their yard on the four wheelers having a snack/drink. We got our mail and went up our 1/2 mile drive to the house.

When hubby left at 1:30 the mailbox was gone. Now, there is a swamp on the other side of the road from our mailbox and there is a high bridge with a creek just past our driveway. Those boys could be beating the mailbox off and throwing it in the swamp, or taking it to the bridge and throwing it over. I'm about to take a ride up to the creek and see if I can see our mailboxes.

Hubby is going to talk to the deputy tomorrow morning and see if he'll go have a talk with those boys.

The reflector was missing too, but the little pole it was on is still there. I told hubby it would be hard to put a reflector in your pocket with a pole attached, but just the reflector would fit. I'm sure a kid would think a reflector was a nice souvenier (I can't spell today).

UGH...it's the only thing that makes sense. I am thinking of all sorts of punishments for those three...like pulling weeds in the garden, picking up trash off the road, etc. to keep them out of trouble AND pay us back for the trouble they've caused us. If they are the ones doing this I also expect them to put up a new box for us.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I welded 24 inches of thickwall 6'' pipe to an automobile rim, then welded a 2'' pipe inside a 2 1/2'' pipe and welded that to the other side of the rim. I topped that off with a 1/4'' steelplate 'house' that covers the mailbox. I had to dig a heck of a hole to get the 6'' pipe, the car rim and a foot of the 2 1/2'' pipe buried. NOBODY has messed with my mailbox, it could stop a truck!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Years ago I had a problem with a neighbor across the street from me. People visiting him would often run into my mailbox, knocking it down, while backing out of the driveway into the street. This got old after a few times, so I made a few changes. Dug a large hole, filled it with cement, placed a few welded together automobile coil springs into the wet cement and then welded a very heavy duty mailbox to the springs. Now when they backed into the box it would just sway back and forth and bang the heck out of their vehicle. My bad.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Yes it is a felony to damage a mail box. Call the Postial Inspectors they have nothing else to do except look at whoever is stealing the mail box. If it is the young boys doing the crime they will be locked up and not see another free day until they are 21.

If it is dome other person and they are over 18 they will be jailed for up to 40 Years and a fine up to $5000. Thst will pay for many a mail box and having them instaled. They are also liable for civil suit.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
it is a federal offense. after you put up that mailbox, it is federal property. now, when i delivered mail on a rural route a few yrs ago, one of my customers got tired of his box being destroyed, so he put on a removable box. he'd put it out in the am (knowing approx what time the mail came, he put it out on his way out in the am) and bring it back to the house when he got his mail. pain in the rear, yeah, but he saved money on the mailbox, and the way he did it, we were able to open and close the box w/o knocking it off. it was nice, actually.

·
Registered
31,754 Posts
We did some dumb things as kids but we weren't destructive or thieves.

This has happenend in our neighborhood too. Usually it's kids running over the mailboxes. I've reported it & asked about it being a federal offence & they said "no". Hmmm. Something about tampering w/mail being federal but not the box...

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old Vet said:
Yes it is a felony to damage a mail box. Call the Postial Inspectors they have nothing else to do except look at whoever is stealing the mail box. If it is the young boys doing the crime they will be locked up and not see another free day until they are 21.

If it is dome other person and they are over 18 they will be jailed for up to 40 Years and a fine up to $5000. Thst will pay for many a mail box and having them instaled. They are also liable for civil suit.
I started another thread about this. It's actually a fine of up to $250,000 and up to 3 years in prison (per charge).

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I've seen the penalties but I have a question for this wise group......Does anyone know of an actual incident involving vandalism of a rural mail box and the penalty imposed on the vandals? I have heard all my life about the stiff penalties associated with "mailbox baseball" but the only incident I can remember was when a homeowner got tired of the damage and built a thick walled pipe/car wheel/ 1/4" plate steel box that was disguised inside a normal mail box/thin walled pipe. First kid to hit this monster was hanging out of the window @ 35mph and actually drug out of the car and onto the roadway when the mailbox didn't "give".....broken arm, leg and several rib fractures. Result- Federal court didn't feel comfortable with the age of the defendant (14) so they let him off with "injuries sustained" as I recall in the news article.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We sit way off the road and our mailbox was a target for many years. Mailbox baseball mostly, sometimes cars hitting it. I think I even made a post here about it a few years back. Like you, I wasn't wanting to go to town every day to get my mail when I should just be able to get it right at the end of the drive. DH would get SO mad :flame: Like your dh he would replace it one day just to have it knocked off and smashed all to heck the next. For a few days we went without a mailbox down there. The idiots thought they'd help us out by knocking someone else's mailbox off and placing it on top of our post. Now when all this was going on you are so darn mad that you really could hurt these people. And you think of ways to catch them and make them pay. You can find some interesting stories on the net! The goobers that go around doing this have absolutely no idea the negative impact they are having on your life - to them it's JUST a mailbox. For about a year we went with the removeable mailbox trick. We would put it on the board on top of the post and put a bungie cord over the top of the box and hook it to nails that were driven into the sides of the wood post. It was easy to take on and off. But seriously, it gets to be such a pain. So, last year for an anniversary present I got dh one of those heavy heavy steel mailboxes from lowes. He had refused to get something like that because of the expense - they are quite pricey. This way he couldn't really complain! He replaced the wood post with a heavy metal one and cemented it in and drilled holes through the bottom of the box and BOLTED the sucker onto the post. It wasn't long before some dummy decided to "smash" it. They had to have broke their arm I swear, cause there was a dent (very slight impression!) where they hit the box. They hit it HARD and it didn't faze the box one bit. Haven't had a problem since! It is the anniversary gift that keeps on giving! Each year that goes by I remind dh of the fact that he hasn't had to replace the mailbox for a whole year!

Oh, and as far as reporting it. We always did, but really it was a waste of time. Even the deal when they put somebody elses mailbox on our post wasn't followed up on. I thought they could at least check addresses and get it back to who it belonged to (it just had a minor dent and could still be used) because the house numbers were on it. They never did though. And once a drunk driver hit the box and I jumped in the car and followed him, called the sheriff on the cell. I gave them the plate number etc. They should have been able to bust the dude for drunk driving had they showed up, but they didn't. Nothing came of that one either. Didn't even get the damage paid for. So, even if you do catch them in the act don't count on them being in trouble. Mailboxes are low on the priority list, even if it is a whole area being hit night after night.

Good luck to you raven. Try not to let missing/smashed mailboxes ruin your day, LIFES TOO SHORT! You don't have to give up having a mailbox, you just have to outsmart the fools.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

The pipe post for my mailbox is on the sloping edge of a drainage ditch by the road. If someone tried to hit it with a vehicle, they would be stuck in the ditch. Everything is welded, so it can't be unbolted.

RF

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
OkieDavid said:
I've seen the penalties but I have a question for this wise group......Does anyone know of an actual incident involving vandalism of a rural mail box and the penalty imposed on the vandals? I have heard all my life about the stiff penalties associated with "mailbox baseball" but the only incident I can remember was when a homeowner got tired of the damage and built a thick walled pipe/car wheel/ 1/4" plate steel box that was disguised inside a normal mail box/thin walled pipe. First kid to hit this monster was hanging out of the window @ 35mph and actually drug out of the car and onto the roadway when the mailbox didn't "give".....broken arm, leg and several rib fractures. Result- Federal court didn't feel comfortable with the age of the defendant (14) so they let him off with "injuries sustained" as I recall in the news article.
I have never seen anyone prosecuted for destruction of mailboxes.

Ever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts