Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they got .. a ... emu ... A EMU ..

added to their little pen for their 1 goat buck, 30 chickens and 1 pig ....

its still a baby .. got its stripes still. but.. why .. why an emu ?! is there anything a emu can provide for you other then bragging rights that you have one !? maybe someone can give me a little insight on that... ive never once seen them butcher a animal and tend to give ME weird looks when i have a butcher day. so i know they arent using it for meat...

but just researching emus for 5 minutes after getting home today. i find out.
they can jump 7 feet . their fence is 5 foot...
they LOVE to run... their fenced area is SMALL...
can destroy a metal fence easily.... if it destroys the fence ill have a pig , goat and emu outside my yard/in my yard .....
hard to catch if loose.... these guys have so many chickens outside their fence already.... they dont tend to care about the animal anymore after it escapes .. just a wild animal after that....

i need to research more.... ya know .. prepare myself for when it does jump the fence.. or bust it..

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
someone turned one out about 8 miles from here once. I saw it and asked the land owner when he got emus. He hadn't seen it yet and thought I was lying to him.
A half brother had some once about 25 years ago when they were the coming thing. He had to get rid of them, think the market fell out and he couldn't afford to keep them.

Reactions: Jenn

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I sincerely hope you will sue your neighbors for property damages when that thing gets out and goes on a rampage. After you shoot it. Be prepared to do that.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I think you can use the feathers to make feather boas. Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

You can eat them, but even if you get a chick for free, it costs so much to raise them that it doesn't make sense to raise them to eat.

They can be dangerous. Not suggested for family pets.

·
Banned
120 Posts
they got .. a ... emu ... A EMU ..

added to their little pen for their 1 goat buck, 30 chickens and 1 pig ....

its still a baby .. got its stripes still. but.. why .. why an emu ?! is there anything a emu can provide for you other then bragging rights that you have one !? maybe someone can give me a little insight on that... ive never once seen them butcher a animal and tend to give ME weird looks when i have a butcher day. so i know they arent using it for meat...

but just researching emus for 5 minutes after getting home today. i find out.
they can jump 7 feet . their fence is 5 foot...
they LOVE to run... their fenced area is SMALL...
can destroy a metal fence easily.... if it destroys the fence ill have a pig , goat and emu outside my yard/in my yard .....
hard to catch if loose.... these guys have so many chickens outside their fence already.... they dont tend to care about the animal anymore after it escapes .. just a wild animal after that....

i need to research more.... ya know .. prepare myself for when it does jump the fence.. or bust it..
When I was raising ostriches, for meat and hides, those raising emus were doing so for the meat

and the oil from rending the fat on the backside of the ratitie. The oil is supposed to be a subdermal

conditioner...for everything from sore joints to arthritis...Some nfl teams were buying if for their players..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait until they find out how dangerous that bird is. I have a friend who used to raise them. It got so it was harder and harder for him to keep them under control so he sold them.
their one daughter who was the main one out in the animal pen daily is already terrified of the roosters they have... i see her screaming, running/chasing and smacking them with a broom ... emu wont take any of that if she decides broom it .. she also screams at the pig for biting too ... and the goat for headbutting..... these guys really dont know how animals do ... i mean i personally carry my light duty rake on hand when im in my chicken fence JUST in case .. but i never felt the need to smack my rooster..

common sense is a skill these neighbors lack... research, research more.. and MORE .. then.. MAYBE get the animal .. i would LOVE to have a few pigs.. BUUUT... im limited on space and pigs would not be happy on my little plot of land.....

the pen they have their animals in is probably ... 15ftX30ft ... just by looking at it , i can tell its a TINY bit bigger then my goat area .. but ... they have a goat, pig, emu, and 30 chickens(maybe 8 of those being roosters... ) in their fence. i only have the 2 goats in my zone. my other animals have their own zones.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sincerely hope you will sue your neighbors for property damages when that thing gets out and goes on a rampage. After you shoot it. Be prepared to do that.
if ANY of their animals damage my property i will have some strong words to them ... they have a few chickens that come into my yard and hang out with my ducks. but it will lay a egg in my yard and leave after its had a mouthful of food or 2 ... i have no issue feeding a hungry animal if it gives me something in return.. but if it came in here and attacked my ducks , or wrecked my garden. it would be the last time..

and if this emu breaks out and comes over here, gun is by the door... ready to go. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was raising ostriches, for meat and hides, those raising emus were doing so for the meat

and the oil from rending the fat on the backside of the ratitie. The oil is supposed to be a subdermal

conditioner...for everything from sore joints to arthritis...Some nfl teams were buying if for their players..

thats cool to know.. though i highly doubt my neighbor is doing any of that with it .. just using it for "bragging rights."

·
Registered
923 Posts
They are cute when small, but....
A friend of ours had a couple. They would always get loose and she’d have to go looking for them. She had to kill a few because they couldn’t be caught.
We actually raised one that was a few days old for about a month. They get big pretty fast.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are cute when small, but....
A friend of ours had a couple. They would always get loose and she’d have to go looking for them. She had to kill a few because they couldn’t be caught.
We actually raised one that was a few days old for about a month. They get big pretty fast.
for the most part, all baby animals are adorable... dont mean you horde them like my neighbors ! lol i have about 70 chicks brooding in my living room right now ... that incubator did REAL nice.. lol and now im trying to sell them .. and if i cant . ill be raising them to egg layer to sell them for more... i even got people in on the plan , building coops on their property for a cut of the small profit.

id loooove to keep them all .. but i know better. i cant eat eggs.. im allergic.. but their so dang cute ! and their a breed that dont get too meaty , so not even worth raising them up to eating age for myself.

i even have going in my head "your all boys until proven otherwise. so i dont get attached and cant cull you off. "

emu though .. i see no appeal to having a bird about the same height as me .. chicken bites hurt bad enough... a emu bite just sounds... trauma inducing. or a emu kick .. ow ....

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
From what I see on tv Emu's are good at selling car insurance. I had one given to me by someone moving several years ago and it ran with my goats. It was not mean at all but was a pest. It followed me around like a dog if I went in the lot and I couldn't fish my pond unless I locked her in the barn first. She would stand around me and peck at the buttons on my shirt. Anything shiny or bright colored draws their attention.

Reactions: jeepgrrl

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
They should watch out making that thing a pet. Back when I was in grade school it was all the rage to raise them. One classmate had made one into a pet. One day he didn't have a snack and the emu attacked him. He woke up in ICU and was lucky to be alive.

That was one reason I always kept peanut butter crackers for Bandito.

And a pistol.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I knew some folks that raised them for the oil and meat. Offered me some oil at a "discount" price to use in my soap making. When I calculated what I'd have to sell a bar of soap for to recap my "discount" cost, I decided thanks but no thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,851 Posts
Posted 4/8/21 8:39 PM CDST

Years ago when the emu oil and meat craze first started. one night a friend who lived about 4 miles away stopped by my place for a rest after having chased his 5 escaped emus and put the 3 he caught in his capped pick up truck .

As he rested, he swore he was done raising emus because them birds took off like drag racers and he swore they ran 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds LOL.

While we were talking, we heard a ruckus outside and he saw his other two by his truck and we went out and were able to leg lasso them so he could head bag and hobble tie them and get them loaded in his truck.

That was my first and last emu round up and he sold his emu ranch start up a few weeks later. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had a pet emu once. My daughter brought him home as a mother's day gift(the parent from where it came did call and ask first!). He was kind of cool, he ran in the pasture with the cows. Stupid creatures really and he would chase and try to stomp cats or other critters he saw. They peck at anything, especially if its shiny, like jewelry. He and the dog, a German shepherd, had this thing going where the bird would reach through the fence and nip the dog and the dog would rush the fence barking at it. Ultimately, the dog won, the bird lost his head!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts