These Eyes.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cabe, May 30, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

We were in town the other day, and an old gentlemen was there buying all sorts of treats and then sittng on benches eating, people watching, and just having a great time.I and my family saw he seemed lonely(not really to find out later), and we went over to chat. He told us some great stories ,and tales of old.About the plowing all day for 50 cents and making mollasses, and much more. I was glad to meet him, and glad the kids heard him talk. He was 90, and very keen and alert, much more lucid than half the people I am around most days .I wondered later about what might be his secret to living so long, and it soon came to me. He laughed quite a bit, and smiled very much, and was a happy person.Come to think of it most folks I know who have lived very long are like that. What his eyes have seen and smiled at staggers my mind, what a good day. Marty.

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Cabe, It was good you stopped to smell the roses

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Marty, more parents should introduce their children to the older and wiser elders living among us. The knowledge of every day simple existence and way of life needs to be preserved in the minds of children.

My grandfather died ten years ago at the age of 94. I still miss his stories. The most precious photo I have is of him in his WW1 uniform. My grandparents were married for 73 years, they bickered all the time, and I think that is what kept both young a heart.

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Bless you for taking the time out of your day to visit with him. I agree, laughter IS the best meds for what ailes one. I personally enjoy visiting with older folks, they have so much to tell and I have so much to learn from them.

5. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for sharing this great experience with us. When I was voted chairperson of our Missions group at church, the first thing I added was visits to the local Resthome. It's a wonderful experience for all ages and what better way to pay back the older, lonely folks than a bit of our time. Many have failing bodies, but their minds and their wit are sharper than mine. We get much more pleasure from them than we give, I know, but we try.

6. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

It has been awhile since I tended this thread, and I am sorry. Some really sweet replies , and I agree with everyone.Our elders do deserve much more, and many young folks are afraid of them.I can remember once when we went to visit my wifes Grandmother we were surrunded by folks over 70 and the kids got really restless, and they were afraid.I stayed as long as it took to dispell this uneasy feeling . I know had I left it would have been like getting bucked off a horse(never to try again for the kids)...I used to volunteer at a local rest home, and read to the ones from their letters(at their request)and you would be shocked to find out many of the letters were coming from the same small town. In other words children would send a letter to a parent- that could not see anymore, from the same town. Why not just come and hold their hand , and watch the joy it brings to these faces of great wisdom and character.One of the cutest smiles I ever saw was once when this beautiful lady , and I guess she was well over 80,won a bingo game and grabbed me and gave me a kiss.I was calling the game and you could tell she was going to catch it from her buddies for flirting with the judge, but to her I was still just a child worthy of this kiss!When I am around older people in distress I think of them as if a child again , in need of great love , compassion, and care.Just like they tenderly held us when we were almost helpless. For the life of me I do not know what I and my wife would have ever done in our lives without all the help from all the Grands regarding our own children.Marty.

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your thread. It was just what I needed.
    You're a wonderful human bean! LOL