Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got me one of them umbilical hernias winking back at me.

I talked to a surgeon today and he said the surgery would mean 2-3 days away from work and 2-3 weeks until I could life anything bigger than a fairly fat hampster.

Has anyone had one fixed? How long were you down?

Is it something I should try to save some money and fix myself?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Oggie said:
I got me one of them umbilical hernias winking back at me.

I talked to a surgeon today and he said the surgery would mean 2-3 days away from work and 2-3 weeks until I could life anything bigger than a fairly fat hampster.

Has anyone had one fixed? How long were you down?

Is it something I should try to save some money and fix myself?
:cute: :doh: :rotfl:

No Oggie don't try an' fix it yourself.. please. Might get a bit messy.

Yes, I had one last year. Lifted a sofa bed with DH. I got a present a few days later.

It's just an in and out surgery. No big deal really. The area just felt tight for a few days then everything was fine. Couldn't lift for a while as you mentioned. Now everything is back to normal.
Just get it done by the expert and take a break for a few weeks. Good excuse for a vacation. Even if you take it in your own back yard.

Good luck and stay healthy! :p

·
Registered
632 Posts
My middle child had one and I had it fixed before she began school. They performed the surgery as an out-patient surgery and she was released that day.
I am trying to remember (this was about 19 years ago) how hard it was on her, but I think it was about what they said it would be. She just had to take it easy and did pretty well.
That said, I would imagine that this surgery might be a bit easier on a child as they have a way of gliding through certain things well.

I am not sure what you mean about fixing it yourself? I know that in the olden days some people wrapped children’s tummies to keep them from getting an “outie” belly button. But that doesn’t fix an umbilical hernia.
I don’t think this something you can fix yourself?

It’s a hernia that is protruding. I don’t think that all need to be fixed (although I am not sure about that) but I know my daughter’s did.

Does your surgeon say it needs to be done?

If you are unsure, you can always get a second opinion.

I will say this… My daughter felt a lot better physically after it was done and has never had any problems since. (she is in her early 20s)

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's protruding and painful, right at head butt height for our 5-year-old son. And it's growing a bit. I have fears of sneezing and blowing chow out of the wrong hole.

I showed the surgeon and he said, "Yep, that's a nice one."

We might be buying a new house, so I'll probably wait until after the move.

I liked the surgeon, so I'm not really interested in looking around.

If I were to fix it my self, I was thinking belt sander, 'cause I like power tools. But, then again, I kind of like firecrackers, too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If I were to fix it my self, I was thinking belt sander, 'cause I like power tools. But, then again, I kind of like firecrackers, too.
gesh Oggie! lol

Let the surgeon do it and get it over with. You will feel a whole lot better, have it behind you and will be healthy.
Much more use to that little boy that way!

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
No don't you dare do that. Use a disk grinder at the dinner table and let - er sling.

That a way every one gets a fair share and you not selfish.

Well you started the grinder talk.

I have one of those thing too, but I have not talked to a doctor about it yet.

Every time I cough or sneeze I put my fingers over the button and push in a little so it won't pop out more.

One of these days I have to GET - ER FIXED ! ! !

bumpus

·
newfieannie
9,192 Posts
Hope you get this fixed up soon Oggie! I have been thinking about this lately. about 2 months ago I rolled my Mower and I escaped any injury from that but I dragged it out of the ditch myself and was feeling like i may have strained something after a little while. i can't feel anything protruding. my stomach is flat as a pancake. ( where is it supposed to be protruding)? I may go a week and feel fine. but like today I have been cleaning out the storage room and filling the truck which requires some lifting but the stuff is not that heavy but I feel it again today in my side. just a knawing pain. I haven't been to a doc. in years. but I suppose if this keeps on for months I will have to give in and go. ....Georgia.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
newfieannie said:
( where is it supposed to be protruding)?
It's a belly button thing. The door that was closed has opened again.

If you look down and your belly button is crowning, you probably have the same problem.

·
Debbie
263 Posts
I had one when I was pregnant many years ago. Couldn't do anything about until I gave birth. Went away and never had to do anything about it. But While I had it I pushed it back in *OUCH* put a half a dollar on it and taped it on top of it so it couldn't push back out. That helped till it was gone! Good luck!! :)

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Get one of those elastic back braces and see if you can't "bind" it the way they used to do with babies who had umb. hernias. Maybe you'll keep it from popping out, it must hurt when it does that.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I developed an umbilical hernia about 4 years ago and went to my doctor who refered me to a general surgeon who wouldn't operate on me because my diabetes is not controlled. That surgeon then referred me to another surgeon in Little Rock who wouldn't operate on me either until my diabetes was under control.

About a year or so after that, I had an emergency appedectomy (sp?) and the surgeon saw on my medical records about the hernia so while he was taking out my appendix, he went searching for the hernia to take out and told me later he couldn't find it. I argued with him that it was there and he said no and I told him it was another surgeon in his practice that first diagnosed me. But he wouldn't believe it. For about the next year there didn't seem to be any hint of a hernia there. I had no problems.

But then it showed itself again. It doesn't bother me too much. I know I will have to get it fixed eventually. I wish that surgeon could of found it. I don't know what his problem was.

Good luck to you, Oggie!

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
DBF had one for many many years (more than 10 years at least) it was the belly button thing also. Two years ago it got really big and Dr. said you don't want to wait until it ruptures and it is an emergency so he got it operated on. Don't try to go back to work too soon. He thought one day at home and he would be fine but it actually took 3 days for him to be comfortable and NO heavy lifting or swimming for at least 6 weeks especially the lifting is a big no no.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My ds was born with one. They said if it didn't go away on it's own by school age to have it fixed. When he was in kindergarten we had it done. He was fine. A few days watching him (he was/is a VERY active boy) but had no problems. He is sixteen now. While they had him under we had them remove a mole that was right wear his underwear elastic band would rub and in summer if he got chiggers that seemed to always get it worst. My mil has a split in her stomach muscles that she said was only noticeable when she was pregnant but she never had any trouble so never had surgery. Two of her sons had umbilical hernias as infants and she would tape a button over their belly button to keep it in. They never had surgery and grew out of it I guess. I think our one ds inherited it and we just had it fixed. His brother's one son needed surgery as toddler and his dd got a hernia in high school and needed the surgery.

Does it cause you any pain? It is usually a very simple operation. I would recommend getting it fixed so you don't end up with a piece of your intenstines getting strangled when you least expect it.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Oggie said:
It's protruding and painful, right at head butt height for our 5-year-old son. And it's growing a bit.
Ummmmmm Oggie . . . . . . . . . . . . . uhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . . . . hmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . I don't know how to tell you this. Have you . . . . . ummmmmmm . . . . . . have you seen the movie Alien? That's what the "hernia" sounds like to me.

Either that, or your cat has cursed you. Are you sure it hasn't used your belly button as a litter box while you sleep?

Either way, I don't hold out much hope for you. ;) :D

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael W. Smith said:
Ummmmmm Oggie . . . . . . . . . . . . . uhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . . . . hmmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . . I don't know how to tell you this. Have you . . . . . ummmmmmm . . . . . . have you seen the movie Alien? That's what the "hernia" sounds like to me.

Either that, or your cat has cursed you. Are you sure it hasn't used your belly button as a litter box while you sleep?

Either way, I don't hold out much hope for you. ;) :D
I tried rubbing catfood on it, then catnip.

But that darned cat refused to gnaw of the part that was sticking out.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I suggest repair BEFORE you move since you're likely to strain and entrap or make bigger (harder to repair) moving- discuss with your surgeon see if he agrees with me

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jenn said:
I suggest repair BEFORE you move since you're likely to strain and entrap or make bigger (harder to repair) moving- discuss with your surgeon see if he agrees with me
He said that, barring and sudden increase in the protrusion (which I am thinking about affectionately naming "Willie"), it would be better to move first. He said that the chances of undoing his surgery are greater than making it worse before the repair is done.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Oggie said:
(which I am thinking about affectionately naming "Willie").
How do you know it isn't a girl???

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it were, I'd be touching it all of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts