Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
G

·
Such anger. So sad.

I have a vivid memory as a child of my Grandfather taking a shotgun after a man who was trying to kill the Blacksnake that lived in the barn on my Grandfathers farm. The man was coming over after Church one Sunday and saw the snake in the back yard and thought he was doing a favor. Grand Dad set him straight.

I know that Blacksnakes and I have heard that Garter and Gopher snakes will keep away poisonous varieties. I have grown up around snakes and know them to be peaceful neighbors and good helpers to have around.

I used to relocate snakes for the people who knew I would do such a thing. The problem with that is you are placing an animal into a territory it knows it does not belong in and there may be another animal there already. I will continue to do it if called upon, only because it gives the poor snake a chance that killing it on the spot does not.

As far as eating them, there is a little too much bone in that meat for my tastes. If you kill it, you should eat it. But I will pass on both points, thank you.

Best thing to do when you see a snake is leave it alone.

· Registered
4,801 Posts
I would never stop on the road to kill a snake, but like Mary agree that I don't want copperheads (pretty much the only nasty one we have in our area) on the property. I know what most of the harmless snakes look like, and leave them be as long as they don't startle me with anything sharp in my hand. Also won't tolerate chicken snakes in the hen house, if they will be peaceful I will relocate them under the shop, if your nasty than your in pieces.

I try to keep everything tidy so there isn't alot of reason for any snakes to want to be around me, when out behind the shop with husbands junk.... ooops' treasures I am extra careful. Vicki

· Premium Member
7,875 Posts
Rattlesnake population in Florida is decreasing rapidly due to habitat loss and indiscriminate killing. They have their role in the natural world, just as we do.

Michael Crichton wrote about directing a movie where a man was supposed to get bit by a rattler. He (and everyone else on the set) was terrified when the snake wrangler arrived. There were 4 snakes for the "crawling" shots, 3 for the "coiled" shots and 3 for the "striking" shots. When it came time to the first scene- the snake crawling towards the victim- the wrangler dumped the snake out of its gunny sack in front of the camera and nervous crew. The snake took one look at all those people and tried to high tail it out of there! After repeated attempts, the crew was reassured the rattler was more scared of them then they of it! Then came the "striking" scenes. They had to irritate the rattlers into striking by shaking long handled dusters in their faces. etc. After 2 hours they succeeded in getting 3 strikes. Michael Crichton wrote "I realized that if you were at a dinner party and a striking rattler was coiled up on your dinner partners plate, there is no chance it could reach you and less than a 50% chance it could reach your dinner partner".

We have harmless ring snakes here, cute little grayish brown guys about 4-6 inches long with a yellow ring around its neck. They eat roaches. They are always being killed by people who mistake them for mutant coral snakes.

G

·
I have a few desert acres that I'm sure host some rattlers. Since I'm not staying out there yet (or keeping any animals), my approach is pretty simple. I always wear boots, don't reach into anywhere I can't see and make a reasonable amount of noise as I go. Once I've got an area walled in and take my dogs there, the rules will change: snakes spotted outside the wall will be left alone if possible; snakes who come inside will be gotten rid of in whatever way I can.

· Premium Member
3,996 Posts
I sounded angry?? lol Not at all, just stating my view as clearly as I thought I could.

We had a few very mean snakes in our barn this year. They killed several half grown chickens that were too big for them to even swallow. I don't know what they were thinking, and if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed a snake was doing it.
It did not bother my conscience to kill the snakes.
(And if I start seeing rats, I'll buy poison)

I was bothered to see a man condemned in the fashion of "there's a place for" when he obviously thought he was doing someone a favor. Also, in the old days, it was commonly believed that running over a big snake would allow it to get up in your vehicle. May sound stupid, but I've heard it many times.

· Registered
10 Posts
Ok, give me heck if ya want, but I hate snakes. Rattlesnakes, Bullsnakes, Gartersnakes, Blue racers, Hog nose, Every kind of snake there is. I grew up in the sandhills of Nebraska, the place was crawling with snakes. We were taught as little kids that all snakes were bad, easier than teaching a 2 year old the difference between snakes. My dad hated snakes too. My granpa tolerated them to a point. I have worked on ranches all over this part of the country and have seen many people bit by rattlers, and they weren't playing with them, just walking by or reaching for a tool. We have had 3 people bitten this year, including a young lady who had to have the flight for life take her to a city.
I will kill each and every snake I see, regardless of race sex or color. I hate them, I fear them, I do so with a clear conscience and no reservation. It is just the way I was raised, and I am never gonna change.

· Registered
145 Posts
Nilknarfneb said:
I will kill each and every snake I see, regardless of race sex or color. I hate them, I fear them, I do so with a clear conscience and no reservation. It is just the way I was raised, and I am never gonna change.

You can come sit by me... I can't stand them either.

· Registered
298 Posts
I killed a LARGE rattler at my uncles cabin. Enjoyed it. Would do it again. IN the "wild" I go my separate way. In a yard where my kids play or visit ... sorry, it will die. Relocate it ... no thanks. If I were better at catching them WITHOUT getting bit or had a snare with my ... maybe. I leave critters alone until they pose a threat or begin killing my livestock.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mike in Pa said:
My wife HATES snakes. We have a whole family in our shed but I haven't touched them because I think they're in there for the mice. Problem is ... they're gardener snakes ... don't seem big enough to eat mice??
Do you mean Garter snakes? they don't eat mice commonly- their usual prey is more in the amphibian family or worms but they will eat mice if that is what is available. Snakes can take food much larger than themselves. they will dislaign their jaws so that a prey several times larger than its head can be swallowed. After eating they will make sighing movements to realign their jaws.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Shahbazin said:
I am getting the feeling that many of the posters about the snake issue don't have a lot of livestock? While I am entirely happy to have kingsnakes & gopher snakes around, rattlesnakes are another matter. I have had several sheep bitten, & if they are pregnant, they will abort (I know this from experience - plus, snakes fascinate sheep, & they all crowd around to see - can result in several bitten by the same snake). A friend's Angora goat that was nursing her 2 week old kids was bitten in the chest/neck area by a rattler, & died, leaving behind her triplets as bottle babies. I have also spent a lot on money on vet bills for dog bitten by snakes. If I find a rattlesnake, I grab for a shovel.
I have swine, rabbits, free range ducks, chickens and turkeys, and pheasants and quail in cages. I also have cats and dogs. I leave snakes alone and don't use pesticides or rat poisons- I have far less trouble than most of my neighbors who kill in blissful ignorance. IMO, preserving an ecological balance is more effective than a million ways of intervention. You don't have to agree with me. I didn't start the thread to change anyone's opinion.

· If I need a Shelter
19,689 Posts
Genesis 3-15 :And I will put enmity between thee and the woman,and between thy seed and her seed;it shall bruise thy head,and thou shalt bruise his heel.

big rockpile

G

·
http://www.fpnotebook.com/ER6.htm

Total: 45,000 snake bites in U.S. per year
Venomous bites: 8000 in U.S. per year
Deaths from snake bite in U.S.: 12 or less per year

Cobras and the Russel’s viper are responsible for the close to 20,000 yearly snake bite deaths in India.

Snake-bites are estimated causing deaths to 50 000-100 000 people world-wide pr year (McNamee 2001). Sometimes these illness can be of the leading causes of deaths in an area (McNamee 2001, RBM 2001).

· Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Snakes have their place but not in my yard...or like my friend who found the copperhead in her kids doll buggy in their room!!! I can understand why many oldsters feel they need to kill any poisonous snake they see...if you were living back where medical care was far away you'd not want to take a chance either. Anyone with small children knows they aren't going to always look where they put their hands or feet. We just try to keep our yard and around our fences trimmed short, don't stick our hands in the chicken nests without looking,probe lumber piles with a pitchfork instead of digging in with our hands and always be diligent about looking before reaching. We do have a big blacksnake around here; have seen him frequently but we don't have a rat/mouse problem so he can stay forever. DEE

· Registered
2 Posts
Are you people crazy? Do you have rattlesnakes in your backyard? Well, I do! And living an hour and a half from the nearest hospital with two small children, it is my firm belief that the only good rattlesnake is a dead one! This time of year is timber rattler breeding season, and I am afraid to even walk through my pasture!

I live in Madison County Arkansas, and we have the largest timber rattler population in the state! I have seen more rattlers this year than water mocassins! Instead of trying to preserve rattlesnake populations, they should be looking for a way to eradicate them.

Rats I can deal with, but endangering my children, loss of limbs, and possible death, I cannot. My cats take care of the mice and rats, and the ones they miss can be had by non-poisonous snakes, of which my county has about 20 different species.

If any of you rattlesnake lovers want to try your hand at preserving the rattlesnake population, why don't you come out to my property and camp out for a few days. If you still love them when your camping trip is over, be my guest, and take them all home with you where they will be safe. I'll be happy to feed you while you are here....would you like the Barbecued Rattlesnake http://www.exoticmeats.com/recipes/009.html or Ratllesnake Chili? http://www.exoticmeats.com/recipes/079.html :D

· WV , hilltop dweller
3,459 Posts
non-poisionous are fine(even had a large black rat snake living in my basement for years) but the minute I determine venonmus, they are dead! :( I always thought that they were not aggressive either, that they would not go after large prey, that they would strike in self defense...well when I was in my middle teens I was skipping rocks next to a massive rock wall that is a railroad bridge abutment(huge stone blocks without mortar)...there was a sound behind me in the weeds growing in the cracks, but every time I turned around the noise stopped...then just before it reached the shingle I was standing on I saw it..a 4 ft copperhead that was comming down the rock face after me and freezing so I would not see it when I turned!!!! That snake was stalking me!!! Well I let fly with my handful of shale and it ducked into a crack in the wall and I tried to get it with a long branch but it got away..I was shaking with rage because I had not menaced that snake and there could be no doubt that it was after ME!! :evil: ....on the other hand just yesterday I stopped my truck to "herd" :D a black rat snake off the road where he was sunning before one of the locals could make a speed bump out of it!! That snake did the "mock rattler" routine that gets them killed by the unknowing..coiled up and "rattled "his tail in the gravel(leaves works better) and even struck at me! When prodded with a stick he coiled into a ball and I was able to get him off the road...to keep the real rattlers out of my area. Sorry for the ramble, it was to illustrate a point...the reason for my opinion,we have enough non-poisionous snakes that loosing a few poisionous ones from my neck of the woods should not upset the balance to terribly.....bee

· WV , hilltop dweller
3,459 Posts
non-poisionous are fine(even had a large black rat snake living in my basement for years) but the minute I determine venonmus, they are dead! :( I always thought that they were not aggressive either, that they would not go after large prey, that they would strike in self defense...well when I was in my middle teens I was skipping rocks next to a massive rock wall that is a railroad bridge abutment(huge stone blocks without mortar)...there was a sound behind me in the weeds growing in the cracks, but every time I turned around the noise stopped...then just before it reached the shingle I was standing on I saw it..a 4 ft copperhead that was comming down the rock face after me and freezing so I would not see it when I turned!!!! That snake was stalking me!!! Well I let fly with my handful of shale and it ducked into a crack in the wall and I tried to get it with a long branch but it got away..I was shaking with rage because I had not menaced that snake and there could be no doubt that it was after ME!! :evil: ....on the other hand just yesterday I stopped my truck to "herd" :D a black rat snake off the road where he was sunning before one of the locals could make a speed bump out of it!! That snake did the "mock rattler" routine that gets them killed by the unknowing..coiled up and "rattled "his tail in the gravel(leaves works better) and even struck at me! When prodded with a stick he coiled into a ball and I was able to get him off the road...to keep the real rattlers out of my area. Sorry for the ramble, it was to illustrate a point...the reason for my opinion,we have enough non-poisionous snakes that loosing a few poisionous ones from my neck of the woods should not upset the balance to terribly.....bee

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.