There is a mouse in my house. YIKES

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannie242, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Ok, I don't do mice well. I am scared to death of them. Almost as bad as snakes.
    When we first moved into this house my husband assured me that he had plugged every hole that they could come in from and so we would have no mice problems. Yeah right!!
    Today I am sitting trying to wake up, and something flys from my bathroom to my bedroom and I screamed we had a mouse.
    My husband said impossible, there is no way for them to get in.
    I know he says this cause he thinks I am going to buy it, right.
    Well I know I saw one, even though our golden retriever just sit and watched it go by. ugh
    I sat and watched for it to move again and it flew under my husbands closet door, so he finally saw it.
    My question is, do they normally come out during the day? And how if everything is blocked are they getting in.
    I sent hubby to buy some traps, which we have baited before and got nothing.
    We even tried peanut butter and chocolate.
    So whats the trick cause it has to go, and if it brought friends they have to go too.
    I am so afraid of them I won't even go into the bedroom !!
    Any tips. Thanks Jeannie

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hmm funny world isn't it? I was worried about my house (it was relocated from the city to here) because it had no mice for the first 4 or 5 years! I was worried maybe it had asbestos or something terrible in it! The first mouse sighting was almost great releif!! Ok short lived joy and no repreive for the mouse we trapped it and put out some bait. Mice are a fact of rural living you just deal with it as it happens. Put out 6 or 7 traps bait it with cheese (PB or anything) and remove any easy access to foods of all types.

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

We had one for awhile, then suddenly realized that he/she couldn't possibly upstairs eating my important papers in my file drawer AND in the kitchen eating my flour at the same time.

The newer traps have the step pedal thingy that trips the trap as soon as the mouse steps on it, but we have the older traps. Using peanut butter didn't work with these traps 'cause the mice were able to eat the pb without applying enough pressure to trip the trap. We used a soft cheese, and pushed it into the little pokey thingy so they'd HAVE to put effort into it.

In the end, we caught SIX in three days! :eek:

I apologize for my lack of intelligent terminology, but I'm not a mousetrap technician! :haha:

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Squish a chunk of whole wheat bread tightly onto the trigger, they can't resist.

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Oh, I have thundering herds of mice both in my house and in my car for heavens sakes. :rolleyes:
    Given up trying the usual ways to get rid of them and just using bait now.
    Even have a bait station in the car. Sigh ~ ~
    So I understand about you not liking mice.

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

dealing with mice here as well, 2nd time since '95, couldn't catch him so I called in someone. The thing he said was to get rid of any nesting/foraging possibilities. Move the furniture, vacuum every crevice, put the food in the fridge or sealed boxes. If you see droppings, they've been there, put down a trap. They will stop comming into your living space as soon as they figure out there's no food there. Then they will go after whatever you've put down in the basement/crawl space. Also go under the house, look for water leaks. They need water. peanut butter worked for us the first couple times, now we have bait in the crawl space. I suggest the traps, if they eat the bait and go into the walls and die....well...you get the picture. I'm sure your hubby did a great job of plugging up the holes, but, if a mouse is hungry he will find a way to food. Good luck. :)

7. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

You have A mouse? Please tell me how you managed that.

8. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Be glad it's just a mouse. Be glad it's just one. Get used to it. You'll always have mice to worry about.

I thought I was the only person with a mouse in the car. I had left a $5.00 bill in the ashtray. I went to retrieve it one morning to pay for a biscuit and the mouse had chewed it into a wonderful little bed. I was very angry for having to skip breakfast that day. :)

I have one of the kids at work vacuum the car several times each week to get rid of any crumbs from the sons. I have no idea what he's drinking. Spring traps have never worked. There are moth balls under the seats. There are moth balls in the spare tire. There are glue traps in the trunk and the floorboard of the back seat when the children aren't in the car. I even tried leaving the cat in the car one night. Fritz peed in my seat. :mad: I've now put out poisoned bait in my car. I would have never thought I'd have to do that. He's been in there for almost a month. He's chewed into the seat cushion of the back seat. He's eaten holes in ever piece of paper left in the car. I've had to take out all the papers from the glove box. The registration and insurance paperwork is above the visor. I hope he doesn't jump or sprout wings. I had the oil changed yesterday (read my "I was carded" thread) and the guy said, "you know there's a mouse under the hood?" I keep hoping he just jumps out, but he was in there again this morning.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Cheer up, it could have been a snake.

10. jeannie242

Yes, cause if i only see one, then thats all that must be in the house, right?
    At least this is what I need to keep telling myself ! haha

11. jeannie242

Oh gosh, Ok your right. but all I am asking is that the mouse leave. We have had a trap out for hours and nothing.
    Hubby thinks its pretty funny, but he isn't gonna think its funny when I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, cause I am not going in there alone cause it requires walking past the closet I last him him run into.

12. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Mice don't need any water. They get what they need from the food.

Check your door sweeps. All a mouse needs is a one quarter inch gap. Some houses are difficult to seal, but it is the right thing to do.

A mouse in the daytime is not a good sign. Typically, those that come out in the day are the weeker and younger mice that cant compete with the bigger tougher predominantly noctural dominant mice. Although, it may have just come in the front door and been running around looking for a good hiding place when you saw it.

If you have pets, the dry food can support a whole population of mice if its left out. Feed your animals and pick up the leftovers. The pets will adapt quickly, and the mice will not prosper.

The most common mistake is to not place enough traps and such. Peanut butter is the best all around bait. If one thing doesn't work, try another. Persistance will win out.

Look for large trigger traps, as they are easy to adjust to hair trigger sensitivity. Tie a cotton ball on a few, as pregnant mouse will be looking for soft nesting material. The droppings are a good sign of where to place the traps.

Garages are usually the first avenue of access for a mouse. It is usually cluttered, and many people store their bulk pet food there. Also the garage floor is a slab and sometimes offers access to the guts of the house around the edges.

13. jeannie242

wow after reading your post, we took the peaunt butter off the traps,and reset them with wheat bread as you said, and within a 15 minutes, the mouse went for it.
    Thanks

14. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Thanks herefordman Today I will rebait all of my traps with whole wheat bread.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

http://www.kness.com/Snap-E.html

THE BEST mouse trap I have ever used. Out of the hundreds of mice I have caught in the garage I have yet to have one throw the trap without getting caught or have one get caught but not killed and drag the trap off.

Fantastic product. I even wrote 'em a letter.

I keep a old jar of stale, strong peanut butter around for mouse bait. I despise the <expletive deleted> things with a passion. I went out to check the propane tank the other day and popped open the domed lid on the top and there were a dozen mice looking up at me. They had built a nest in there and started running in every which direction. I was stomping the ones close and I drew my pistol (more for entertainment value than anticipated effect) and started shooting at the ones getting away. A mouse it remarkably difficult to his with a .45 caliber Glock but if you do hit one the results are...well....somewhat gratifying for a mouse hater.

16. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Put out some instant oatmeal. It will run and drink some water afterwards and the oats will swell and blow the little sucker up.

17. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

If there were a snake, there would be no mouse!!

18. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, that happened to a fellow teacher. He was bringing a boa constrictor home from science camp (named Rosie) and she escaped and crawled into the unseen regions. He couldn't get it out so he took it to the local mechanic. Took 3 mechanics the better part of a day to disassemble the car and get the snake out of there. Rosie survived, safe and unhurt. The car, on the other hand...but the mechanic and staff put the car back together and didn't charge the teacher a single penny.

I'll take mice over snakes any day of the week!

19. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

20. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Mice aren't loners. If you've seen 1 there are a Lot more. Use bait, but be sure to put it where pets & children can't get to it. Put the bait in the garage,attic, & crawl space, & in the back of cabinets & cupbords. Another place that mice like is behind the refridgerator.