There he was!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pigeon Lady, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Ambled down to the barn this morning to feed the goats. It's the drive through type that you can look right through the center of to the back pasture.

Woo hoo! there he was, a beautiful 6 point buck! He was grazing with a doe. They both looked up and we all stared at each other for about 30 seconds before he decided it was time to go. They both high tailed it into the woods and sprang up the mountain.

I've seen him before in the presence of a much younger buck. Always drinking from the creek on a neighbor's land down the road. This is the first time I've seen him here. It almost felt like an honor.

Dh's sure going to be happy when I tell him.

P.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It was an honor....I get thrills everytime I see them on my land. I'm so glad they let me share it!

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

4. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I'm still getting used to the idea of seeing wildlife and not having to run for the safety of a house. Michigan is just chock full of deer, coons, porcupines, skunks, and other little creatures. It's neat to take a morning drive along some country roads and look at the huge deer herds in old corn fields, or see deer while hiking through the woods... and not have to fear them.

Up in Alaska, there was one time my brother and I were stuck up on the roof of our garage/workshed for hours because a herd of moose settled themselves for a cud session smack in between our house and us. I almost got trampled a few times by mommy moose that we accidentally happened upon in the woods. And driving with the fear of hitting a moose... yeeshums. Deer can tear up a car pretty good, but moose stand a lot higher and have a lot more mass.

It's too bad deer doesn't taste as good as moose, or lower 48'ers would have it made.

5. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I love to watch the deer in the fields.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you didnt poach it did you...?

stan might blow a gasket if you did.

7. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I love going out early in the morning or just before the sun sets to watch the deer and the wild turkeys in our feilds. I love to watch them feeding and the fawns playing chase with each other. I usually will take my tea out and sit on the porch just to watch them until they decide its time to leave.

It is a wonderful life!

8. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Tsk, Tsk... ( actually I think that was funny)