There be cows in the fields!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by brierpatch1974, Jul 18, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I just got my first cows 3 polled Herefrods and 2 black angus. They are all ready to be bred I just need to figure out what breed I want to breed them to. <starting to taste the steaks now> I have a local dairy farmer who is going to help me and teach me how to AI so I just need to get the semen.
    I have been thinking of these three breeds for a bull <semen>. A Brangus, Black Angus, or maybe a Limo. Let me know what you think or any other suggestions you may have.

BP

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I vote Angus, also. Brangus would be a distant second choice, and I would not even consider Limousin for these cows.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

BP are your first cows COWS or are they virgin heifers???

5. brierpatch1974

They are Cows. 3 of them are 4 years old and two of them are 3 years old. All of them have had calves in the past. I made arrangements for them not to be bred back after they had calves. They would have been crossed with a Charolais wich would be fine but my problem is these are great cows of good quality but that bull was a very low quality bull so I wanted to do better.

BP

6. Up North

Admirable Goal. BP do you have a good cattle chute to restrain them for breeding AI? Great that dairyman is helping you, but AI with beef cows can be a real rodeo without proper handling facility. May end up with breeding gun bent like pretzel and farmer bleeding and bruised from being stomped otherwise. They don't just stand for you with a modest restraint like dairy stock will. They tend to activate the fight or flight response and literally climb the wall, LOL.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Definatly a black bull. With angus cows an angus bull will give you some good heifer prospects. Also the herfords will produce a better selling calf if it is a black baldy. To increase or upgrade your herd, the angus is the way to go without mongrelizing the herd.

8. brierpatch1974

Yes I have good handling pens and shute/ Was actually the first thing I built even before I fenced in the pasture. I like the AI breeding since its a small herd and I dont have to worry about inbreeding to offspring or buying a new bull all the time. Simple as can be and really not that expensive either.

BP

9. Up North

Sounds Good BP! Go Black as above posters suggest - easy calvings, marketable stock cheers.