There are BEAVERS next door!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What a shame that they are too far downstream to affect our little trickle of a stream! I wouldn't mind at all if there were beaver dams all up and down it. I could possibly raise a few fish if they spread out upstream.

Well, the trickle of a creek tends to flood during the rain and drop to 1 inch deep between the rains. With good fortune, the beavers might even things out a bit.

Long live the beavers! :haha:

2. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Beavers like fruit trees, its kinda like their candy. So if you have fruit trees you may not like beavers living close to you.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Thanks for the warning! No, I hadn't put any in, yet.

I wonder if they like blackberries? :confused: Anybody know? That WOULD be inconvenient!

4. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont think they'll bother blackberries. They just go after trees.

As a kid I often had to put chicken wire around trees to help keep the beavers from chewing down the trees. It often didnt help. We normally had to have the fish and game officer come trap them.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here Beavers will kill lots of Trees close to the water.they usually not have a Pond deep enogh for Fish.But also around here if you do have Fish in a Small Pond the Otters will take care of that in short order. :haha:

big rockpile

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

A neighbor lost around 20 acres to beavers( Lowland pasture) and the game commision says he can't do anything about it!It didn't work asking if they'd like to pay the taxes on that land :rolleyes: Now they are next door.I wonder if they taste like chicken :haha: :haha:

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In my area beavers and beaver ponds are just part of the scenery. Behind the place I'm at now is a series of 5 ponds and each backed up by a beaver contructed dam. There are natural baitfish minnows in there, but that also can attract pelicans and herons along with otters to keep things in balance. The beavers goal is to keep the pond rising to where it continues to reach their tree source for more dam construcion material and the alders and poplar branches they relish for food. When we get heavy rains, it gets bad as the beavers work like crazy to dam up everything in site including large culverts under the roads and cause severe flooding and washouts. Very industrious creatures they are.