Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohh this ain't no stinkin' hobbits tale! This Shepherd was hauling donkey-butt yesturday, and in just an 18 hour round trip to Nashville, TN and back home I picked up for my farm...... although that would take a lot of paper to wrap it, we'll just call this "our" Christmas present; stick a bow on it -I'm done.

What I don't understand is, why do all the manufacturers use a tilt table for sheep and a raised platform for goats? (When I'm done at the shearing stand, my sheep jump the 2ft down, just like they would on the goat stand?????

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Very nice!! Guess it would stretch a stocking too. I think it's just tradition to roll a sheep for hoof treatment because they can be wet smelly burry critters at times. Use what works for you!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm jealous! That is a set up that far beats out my strategically placed cattle panels connected together with bailing wire or zip ties! Nice, very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OooooooooH! VERY nice! Might one inquire as to the price?
Well I had been searching the net for a while, looking for something like this set up. It's from D-S (a company I have not heard all that much about. Here is their web page: http://www.dslivestock.biz/ and here is the ad I found the equipment on: http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/961407881.html

In the end, they sold it for $2500. It was there when they bought the farm a few months ago. (She is a Real Estate Agent and wrote it into the contract that the sellors leave it. The buyers have mini pygmy goats and so knowing the handling equipment was going to be too big for them, they knew they could resell it, and use that money for other farm related things they need.) They did however know it was worth about $4500 and only a year old. So when you look at that, plus the cost of gas is at an all time low, it cost less than $100 in gas to pick up and return home. Even though I'm not working right now, it was worth it and we are getting older...

The other big names are, Ketchum, Townsend and Sydell. (IMO I've seen a lot of inovative stuff come from Sydell, but everything costs so much...) I can't wait to get everything all set up. She said it sets up in about a 16X35 foot space, and I've got an extra 20X40 hoophouse greenhouse I can set it up under.

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
I am SO jealous! Our stockdog club uses D-S handling equipment and it is very nice. Their 3-way sort gate is the best I've seen.

Premier is another big name in that business. It sure makes work a lot easier if it is set up in a convenient place.

Needless to say, we do things the hard way here. I hate sorting lambs and ewes big time. Much rather help the neighbors, who have the proper setup.

Peg

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PNP You're from Wisconsin???? That's where the origins of my "8-Ball Wentz & the Soggy-Bottom Boy" story hailed from, (around the Madison area) What Stockdog Club are you a part of?

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Slev, it's WWSDA. Used to be more active when the trials were at Platteville. That's 15 minutes for us rather the two hours to Portage. Plus our dogs are getting old. I asked for one for Christmas but no joy. This means a good BC chore dog of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts