Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 3 does kindle this week. Only one pulled fur. She is sitting on the babies but not taking care of them. She had 8 and I went out at 10 last nite one was thrown out cold and dead, one was cold and almost dead. I brought them in and got the one to start breathing again but it was to weak and died anyway. So I am bringing in the doe and letting her nurse them. She did feed them but with the new surroundings didnt pay them to much attention. We are rethinking the nestboxes and cages trying to think up something warmer for the buns. I suppose being first time moms is having something to do with this too but I worry so much about the babies being ok. I am worse than the first time moms. Such a worry wart.

Linda

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
If she feeds them, keeps them clean and covers them up when she leaves, she's doing her job. Mother rabbits do not usually stay with their babies the way a mother cat or dog might. This is probably because, being prey animals, they do not want to attract the attention of predators to the nest.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She spent her day sitting on them. They are scratched up and didnt look well fed at all when I found them. One was almost dead in the box and one thrown out of the box. I did lose the other one tho. Right now I have her in the house feeding them. She isnt moving near them so I put them by her. Dont think she is comfortable in the house. I will check to make sure all of them got to eat before taking her back out tho. This morning I turned her upside down for one to get to eat. Tom is laughing at me saying my ears are growing. Freeked him out when I can wiggle my nose and ears at him. LOL
I thought she was being an attentive mom sitting on them and keeping them warm. She was using it to potty in and it was warmer than on the wire. She ended up pushing the fur off the babies so they got to cold. This morning she seemed to co operate a little more for the little ones. I am watching her as I check my mail. She just started cleaning them up and they are squeeling so she might be calming down a bit. Hope they all get to nurse well. Dont have much time as I have to get back to Toms mom. Its our weekend to stay with her.

Linda

·
Registered
507 Posts
depending on your situation, you might have already considered forstering some of those kits out to a doe or two giving better care, assuming they can handle it. Depending on how this doe operates from here on out, if she were mine, she would be on the short list for the pot.

DG

She spent her day sitting on them. They are scratched up and didnt look well fed at all when I found them. One was almost dead in the box and one thrown out of the box. I did lose the other one tho. Right now I have her in the house feeding them. She isnt moving near them so I put them by her. Dont think she is comfortable in the house. I will check to make sure all of them got to eat before taking her back out tho. This morning I turned her upside down for one to get to eat. Tom is laughing at me saying my ears are growing. Freeked him out when I can wiggle my nose and ears at him. LOL
I thought she was being an attentive mom sitting on them and keeping them warm. She was using it to potty in and it was warmer than on the wire. She ended up pushing the fur off the babies so they got to cold. This morning she seemed to co operate a little more for the little ones. I am watching her as I check my mail. She just started cleaning them up and they are squeeling so she might be calming down a bit. Hope they all get to nurse well. Dont have much time as I have to get back to Toms mom. Its our weekend to stay with her.

Linda

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these are my first 3 litters and the other 2 does didnt pull fur and the babies froze. Not been a good week. Looks like the other one that I bred didnt take. She was due on Thursday too. Next 2 due are this thursday then one on sunday. That is all that I have. Wondering if in this weather to rebred the does. I want to make some adjustments on nestboxes and see if that helps but unless they pull fur nothing will help them.
Linda

·
Pacific Northwest
219 Posts
I am sorry for your losses. :( I understand how exciting and worrisome those first few litters are!

I would definitely keep the nest box away from the Doe and just take it to her once a day. Most of the time rabbits only feed once per day. Some Does have been observed to feed twice. You can take the box to her in the AM and PM, if she feeds both times than you'll know how often for her in particular. Sometimes Kits are attached pretty well and get accidentally dragged out of the box when momma jumps out. In those cases, the Doe rarely ever, and I do mean rarely, cares for them in their hopeless predicament.

Hanging out in the nest box is an absolute no-no. She will smother them all in a short time! And using the box for pottying is just as bad. If she keeps this up with subsequent litters, she should not be used in a breeding program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts