Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do? I'm interested in examples of real practiced ideas (both active and passive) as well as some one may be considering. I am not interested in people diagnosing my situation.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Trail cameras, securely attached and not reachable without a ladder.
Lights, lights, lights.
I occasionally target practice in the yard, and always have a side arm with me for coyotes...folks that see that don't want to come by for non social reasons.
Our little area watches out for each other, and everyone knows each other to some extent. Strangers are observed. Was at the fair one year and my neighbor called me;
"Matt, there is someone snooping around your garage...I know you got a car in there and he has tires..."
Me: "It's the car owner dropping off tires"
Him: "oh, okay...(sound of gun being put on safety)...just checking".
******* neighborhood watch at it's finest.

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I think "crazy" definately offers some protection!

Mon

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Keep everything you can inside a building. Be picky who you bring into your buildings. Even if they aren't a thief, they will mention to somebody else what a nice motorcycle, tractor, tool, whatever, you have.......

For things that have to live outside, make them inconvenient to steal. Our trailers are parked behind the house, the corral and some outbuildings. All of them have some sort of lock on the hitch, can't just hook up to them and go. Don't leave the keys in anything, even in a locked building.

Basically, make your stuff less visible to reduce temptation and more of a hassle to get than the next place.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
When gone, locks on barns and sheds. When here Dakota MURS alert system. All gas cans chained. Motion activated solar lights in unexpected places.

Also, being known as "that crazy old man at the end of the road" helps.

Two biggies in that single statement.

1. You're a bit "off". Helps if you let loose a clip or two of loud semi-auto fire as fast as you can pull the trigger ever so often to reinforce that notion. Word gets around. Most theft is local folks.

2. "end of the road"......Just like Conrad Hilton said about real estate.....security is "location, location, location". Ideal location from a security standpoint is end of the road, along with as little perimeter of your property adjoining access from neighbors.

Then GATE AND FENCE your place. Thieves are lazy, and scared of being caught. Anything you can do to hinder their ease of access, and egress, will cause them to move on to easier pickings.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Move away from places where its a problem .
Yeah, sure, never mind if you have put years of work in to soil improvement, orchards, custom buildings and the like. Just up and move. Why didn't I think of that? :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I put a chain across my driveway so no one can drive right up to the house - I also make it look like someone is home all the time - you don't want your place to look like no one is home - and yes a dog is also a good suggestion - one that is enclosed in a fence that surrounds the yard - I don't answer the door if someone comes knocking unless I know that they are coming a head of time - that way if I'm home and someone breaks in - he's a goner -

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've been here all my life and my parents lived here long before I came along. We've never been robbed.
We don't leave any temptation sitting out and we lock up. No trespassing signs as well. And we used to have chows and rottweilers who would rush up to a strange car, barking until we called them off. The dogs have been long gone for years now.
However, dad has a reputation for craziness around here. He gets lickered up and blasts Kenny chesney often at night. He's shot ***** and possums from the front door at two am, and also an air conditioner that didn't work. Crazy helps.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have dogs. Most people do not understand them. Dogs are not affective against those who do.

Fence is a good idea. In the country a fence is about worthless. A pair of lineman dikes or small bolt cutters are available everywhere.

I have seen a double gate set up like a cattle chute on the drive way.

I think trees do better than a fence.

Out of sight such as inside is good.

Close neighbors are good.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aside from locks...etc, my husband has etched or painted this: "Stolen from _____ ______" on most everything of any value that he owns. He also has his phone number on most of it as well.
I need to do this. Will look for etching tools.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I do a lot of shooting, and people driving by see me carrying a gun on my side..

I've also got security camera's around, and word travels fast in these parts...

I've let people know I don't pick up the phone until the coroner is needed.. Yep, I may be called that crazy guy up the road. It was done on purpose because theft is a problem in these parts.. I've not had any problems even leaving expensive equipment around for months at a time while we weren't living here.

·
Premium Member
41,119 Posts
What do you do? I'm interested in examples of real practiced ideas (both active and passive) as well as some one may be considering. I am not interested in people diagnosing my situation.
I have been using a two part security system for a lotta years with pretty good success.

1. I made sure everyone in the community is aware that I am well armed and mentally unstable.

2. I dont have anything worth stealing.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
There's a kit you can get from a lumber store that you put on your doors so they can't be kicked in. We installed them easily ourselves. It won't really help in the front since there's a large window that could be easily broken....we have plans for that one too.

Having good neighbors helps. My neighbor will see someone pull up to my house before I will due to how her windows face. She knows if I'm not home and who should or shouldn't be there.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts