Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This breaks my heart. Mom and Pop have worked so hard to get their market going and to keep it functioning but this might end the program.

A couple days ago someone stole her cashbox during the night. It was empty but the box cost a pretty penny. Then just today someone pried the lid up and stole all the money and messed the box beyond repair.

This is on top of people sneaking in and taking produce, people short changing her and people snacking while shopping. I seriously doubt if she'll have the market next year.

·
Registered
857 Posts
sorry to hear!1 stand and 1 barn market near me have been robbed .so far my little stand has been left alone.i use a plastic coffee jar that justs sets there.we empty it every night.i must have the best customers in the world.......

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Unfortunately, the honor system proves there is no honor among most people any more.
If, IF I had a stand on the honor system, I think I would have a couple cameras, possibly trail cameras mounted.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
The local church has a produce stand nearby where extra veggies are sold. Stuff gets taken regularly. Someone saw a couple actully clean our the stand completely! It was an old couple and I can only hope they needed all of that to can.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I try to avoid self serve stands. I did buy a doz. ear of corn last week and put my $4.00 in the box but I will not buy again unless someone is in attendance.

Maybe some electronic surveillance equipment might help reduce the theft but if society doesn't punish the thief/thieves instead of just fine them it is not going to get any better. I read the local news about what folks do and what their punishments are, and really, there is not much incentive to change their ways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cut back to just selling on the weekends when I'm able to be at home.

During the week (while at work) I came home a few times to no produce left and no money in the box.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I did a help your self ice cooler for eggs last year with a can and a note that said help feed the chickens that gave you the eggs. This worked for a while until non neighbors caught on from a tip from the postman. Then I got coins no dollars. So I stopped told the neighbors that asked about the egg box being gone if they wanted eggs they could stop by. And most all said well if you have extra drop them off. I dont do that anymore homes are too far apart and gas cost to much to give eggs away.
Sorry for your folks its a shame when people ruin good thing.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Ardie, there are cameras for sale. I think it also depends on what the laws are for petty theft in each particular state. It is a shame. A product of today's outlook to find psychological excuses for crimes and to not want any or little punishment "inflicted" on the criminal. To heck with the victim...

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out where my mom lives the only cop around won't come out unless there's a serious accident or a fire. Even if the thieves were caught on camera it's just petty theft. Not much chance of getting anything stopped.

They have made some changes. Cash box is now emptied several times a day and no money is left for people to make change. They also watch the shop a lot more, which can be hard when you're trying to take care of gardens or chickens at the other end of the farm.

I just don't understand why people give you a hard time about what they want to pay for produce from a small shop but they don't bat an eye when they fork over the $$$ at the grocery store. And please STOP SQUEEZING THE TOMATOES!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know this post is an older one, but that is too bad. After all the hard work, and love, and money put into growing things, the gardeners deserve payment. That would be so discouraging. Our country is in a sad state, with some having absolutely so ethics or morals whatsoever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts