The Worm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Aug 17, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Any body hear about the new worm out there? Does any one know how to protect the computor from it?

2. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

Hey - I am an IS/IT professional, though the last couple of days I have been spending more time on the farm. What I have heard about the worm is that basically if you have a Windows 2000 or an early version of XP HOME you are at risk. To protect yourself, you need to make sure you get (and as a general rule you should be doing this all the time anyway) all the latest updates and security patches. If you have those at least at this time you should be okay based on what I have heard and read.

The bigger problem is if you have the worm, as its main issue is continuious rebooting. If you have, you are probably going to be down a few days and will probably have to either get a CD-ROM patch or borrow someone elses computer to get the patch to get rid of it and get all back to normal.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Ray- thank you for the very usefull information, it is appreciated by all of us who are not IS/IT types!

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Norton AntiVirus also has new definitions to protect agains the worm. So if you're definitions are up to date, you should be good. I'm betting McAffee has the same thing.