The wind is howling today...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

It is very windy outside today. I heard we might get winds up to 60mph. Hang on to your hats Ohio!

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I'm in Ohio. It's just amazing.

My dog is nearly pooping himself. He's a 55 pound mutt, and THE most terrifying thing in the world to him is wind. Poor dog.

The sudden, STRONG gusts are alarming.

3. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

Yep, same up north here Melissa. I'm sitting at my desk at work, listening to the roof creak and pop from the wind. What I'm really hoping is that we don't get freezing rain during this big weather switcheroo. I have to drive quite a ways this evening and would prefer it not have any drama. :)

4. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

We're getting high winds here in central Indiana too. My little terrier is under the bed taking her a nap. She hates it when it's real windy.

5. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Batten down the hatches--it's a good day to be inside.

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

It's windy here too - took the cover off the hoop house again :flame: but it is so warm. Feels like an August night out there rather than a day in December!

7. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

The wind is starting here. My bestfriend, who works for NY state DOT, emailed me this morning, with a warning of severe weather on the way. We are all cozy inside. Think I'll make some cookies. Funny, how that takes your mind off the weather outside.

katlupe

8. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Very windy here too and lots of rain! Our back creek, which is normally about six inches deep and just about as wide, is now over six feet deep and probably about fifty feet across. Our front creek is almost over our bridge and laneway - good thing it quit raining!

Anybody got any plans for building an ark? :p

9. Auntie Kathy

Auntie Kathy Well-Known Member

It's been very windy here since about 11 am. The lights have been flickering on and off for about an hour now. Hope the power stays on, the weather guy says it's supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. :grump:

10. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We got the winds too - and then had the power out for 35 hours. Just got it back on.

On the positive side, we were well prepared to get by without power. No generator, but we have a small outdoor wood cookstove, appropriate foods on hand, and layers of warm clothing and bedding.

Over the past day and a half I've cooked grits, hard boiled eggs, a potato casserole, warmed up some leftovers, made rice in a big thermos, and made some delicious sourdough flatbreads. We had plenty of coffee and tea as well. We picked up most of the sticks out of the front yard and driveway (knocked down by the high winds) and used them as our cooking fuel.

Nice to have the heat back on now though!

Lynda

11. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Not quite as windy here but it is picking up and of course blowing the snow back onto the roads. Bad enough plowing/shoveling once but we need a few days breather. On the upside shoveling snow is an excellent workout and a guilt-free meal when finished. Note to self: make sure new house is remodeled before the snow flies so we don't have 2 places to plow and shovel.