Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you read your bible, do you give more credence to some books than others.

For example, the gospels are supposed to give us an account of Jesus' life on earth, and give us his teachings in a direct way. (Leaving aside for now the fact of the excluded gospels). So, do they then have more weight than a letter by Paul giving his "opinion" of how Christians should be do and worship. If there was seemingly contradictory statements would you give more weight to one than the other?

I am not wording this very well, and I don't have a specific problem in mind right now, it is just a general question

hoggie

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
I don't give any one book 'weight' over the others, but I DO study the type of literature that it is, who the original audience was, etc.

I recommend the book, "How to Read the Bible for all Its Worth", by Gordon Fee

R

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
I think I see what you're saying, Hoggie. I never really thought it about that way before, but it sure does seem so doesn't it? We tend to reject some things and base our arguments and lives upon others. I think that's a problem that has existed since Jesus came. It was what caused the problems between the Jews recognizing Jesus; as well as the Jews and the new converts.

Today I see entire denominations who declare themselves as "New Testament" churches; almost ignoring the Old Testament.

I must admit that I personally tend to hang on to the words of God and Christ more highly than the teachings of the prophets or apostles. I don't think there is much better than hearing directly from the "source". :D Although I believe all scripture to be inspired by God, human man does have emotions, agenda, there is always the possibility of error in opinion/communication. God doesn't error and therein lays the absolute truth.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I always take all the books into account. I do not give one book more "authority" over another. I do, however, have books which I prefer or would be my 'favorites'. I do notice I refer to Genesis, Proverbs, Psalms, Isaiah, Matthew, Acts, Romans, James, Hebrews and 1 John more and find them easier to read and understand than say Leviticus, Numbers, Daniel, or Revelations.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If there was seemingly contradictory statements would you give more weight to one than the other?
I believe all the Bible is the Word of God and the Bible supports itself and does not contradict itself. If there seems contradictory statements I do more research. I look at all the passages dealing with the "contradiction" and I make sure that I am reading the context of the entire "message" and not just pulling a sentence out of context.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
It is true that God does not lie, and that His direction to us is consistent. It is NOT true that there are no sentences in the Bible that contradict one another. There are three particular areas to watch out for inconsistencies and 'lies'. First, the book of Job. The three 'friends' speak many lies and theologically incorrect statements. Second we have the book of Ecclesiastes, written from the perspective of a man.. purposefully. That man - perhaps Solomon - apologizes at the end of the book and gives all glory to God. Finally, Proverbs... these are statements that are true 50% or more of the time; they are not promises.

Speaking of inconsistencies:

Proverbs 26

4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
or you will be like him yourself.

5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
or he will be wise in his own eyes.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I think Solomon was giving two points of view, both valid in their own way. The counsel of Job's friends was declared wrong in the book of Job, so you have to read what they said, knowing that this is an example of the wisdom of man and not God speaking through men.

There are really not scriptures where God says one thing in one spot and the opposite elsewhere. He, Himself is consistent and constant.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (King James Version)

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

This was mentioned in Church a couple of weeks ago. That at the time when this was written there was no New Testament. That the scriptures that are referred to are the old testament.

I just wondered as, at the moment I have been reading Romans, but with DD I am reading the Gospels mainly Matthew at the moment. And I find myself sort of saying "right, that is what Jesus said" and find that I feel it is more valid. I am not saying it necessarily contradicts what I have read in Romans, just that I find it easier to accept it somehow.

A bit like big brother saying "mum says tidy your room" and then mum coming along and saying "tidy your room" LOL (can you tell I had an older brother :D ) It comes better direct from Mum? Not sure that makes sense but .....

Thanks

hoggie

·
le person
6,241 Posts
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (King James Version)

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Exactly what came to my mind.

When scripture seems to contradict itself, I go with the simple clear scriptures first. Often there will be one scripture that appears to contradict many clear scriptures, and there is just something missing in your understanding of it. Often a mistraslation or impression. Read in context!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts