Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and can help me understand the results better.

The percentile ranks, are they scored against kids of the same age? Meaning if my son scores a percentile rank of 9, he's way at the bottom on that particular skill compared to other kids his age?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It means he scored better than 8% of the kids his age, and worse than 91% of the kids his age who have taken the test.

Now you need to think about who has taken the test and why. If a large number of the kids who are taking the test are advanced and taking it to get into gifted programs, it is not an accurate assessment of your son.

Generally speaking, preschool tests like that are not administered across the board, and so the results are not of the average population.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RockyGlen said:
It means he scored better than 8% of the kids his age, and worse than 91% of the kids his age who have taken the test.

Now you need to think about who has taken the test and why. If a large number of the kids who are taking the test are advanced and taking it to get into gifted programs, it is not an accurate assessment of your son.

Generally speaking, preschool tests like that are not administered across the board, and so the results are not of the average population.
I hadn't considered the gifted aspect of testing. I was thinking that most of the kids who had taken the test would have done so to be screened for learning disabilities.

Thanks, Lisa. He has Aspergers. And according to his test results, he's not doing so well.

What I don't understand is, if he scores in the 9th percentile in the speech and language categories, doesn't that kind of indicate a need for speech and language therapy?

The school did other tests and ranked him in the 95th percentile where the Wechsler ranked him in the 9th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.