The water in my kitchen is "SHOCKING"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tkrabec, Jun 9, 2005.

1. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

After remiving the lineolem floor in my kitchen. I noticed that the water was shocking me. To be sure I pulled out my MultiMeter, And sure enough I get about .2V DC and 2.5V AC while touchig the sink and bare (concrete floor). I held 1 lead of the MM in my hand and touched the other to the sink with the water running.

I do not believe that having an open current flow like this is good. So I am asking for some advice in tracking it down.

-- Tim

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm just guessing as this isn't something you hear of often.
    Your electrical service is probably grounded to your water service line. There is a possibility that is how your water is being charged. If that is the case be careful to have the service line to your house checked as there might be a problem with the ground line there, the cold water ground is just a safety and not the primary ground. Another guess would be a possibility of your water heater if it is electric. Shut the breaker to the water heater and see what happens.

3. tkrabec

I do not believe that we are gounded on our water pipes, we have a well (Which I probably should have mentioned). But I will still try the HW heater idea, that sounds reasonable.
    -- Tim

4. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

In my milkbarn tank room I have about 1 volt that comes in on the ground. Power cooperative tried to get rid of it with more ground rods and a ground to well casing but still have some to put up with. A small nick in the skin and touch something grounded and it will bite you. Way to tell if it was ground is I shut off main breaker at pole and still had a volt when I touched grounded metal and other probe to wet cement floor. Ground wire is not shut off when you throw breakers so it keeps feeding in. FB

5. tkrabec

If I can't get rid of It I'll try to get it to charge a battery or something, put the power to good use .

--Tim

6. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I believe the problem is that your sink is not grounded, depending upon how the electrical system is arranged in your part of the world all conductive components of the house should be grounded via a low resistance path.

In your case there appears to be a small voltage on the sink which may be induced by a number of ways but in any case you would not be able to measure a voltage if the sink was electrically grounded. (Conversly, if the concrete floor is not grounded).

To cure your immediate problem and to make the environment safe for you run a wire from the sink to the concrete.

For interest sake you could measure the current on such a wire and tell us what it is, I imagine only a few microamps, maybe more, maybe not enough to move the needle on a non-digital meter.

As always, when dealing with electricity and doubley so in a potentially wet environment, get an local expert to check it for safety.

7. tkrabec

I checked hot my voltages from hot to ground, it was "normal". My neutral to ground was running 2.5 millivolts something which in the past has been running at 0 volts. I'm gonna have to look in my breaker boxes to make sure nothing is creating a path to ground or neutral. I did shut odd the HW heater and I still had the current.

-- Tim

8. ozarks58

ozarks58 Member

Like FB said--kill all power coming in to the house and then check to see if neutral still has volts. If so it's out of your hands and into the power suppliers.

9. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Farmer Brown, I would have thought your tank room could be tamed by tying all metallic parts together (electrically) and grounding them to the ground and the ground line right there?

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If you do a Google search for 'stray voltage' and perhaps with it 'lawsuit dairy' you will get a list of issues in MN & Wisconsin & other states I'm sure where many many $1000's were lost because of such a light current. Cows are more suseptible to electric shock that humans, & will go off their feed, avoid drinking water, if there is any slight stray voltage around. You might (or probably already have) check into all the metal your cattle come into contact with, & resolve _any_ stray voltage issues you find.

There is an odd set of circumstances where the nuetral wire becomes live due to an unbalanced load (between the 2 110 wires) as well as the whole grounding issue that is mentioned by others here. All sorts of strange combinations can affect this. Any new livestock facility built in MN now needs seemingly miles of bare copper wire to drain & bleed off all this stray voltage. Pretty much anything metal including the rebar in concrete needs to all be tied together & grounded to earth.

--->Paul

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Whatta ya know?I just had this problem.Its at the service entering into your house.On mine the neutral wire at the mast from the power pole drop off had an insulation break,and neutral was touching the bare metal on the mast.
    First time I called the power company,they came and checked my box and said all was well,problem in the house.After MONTHS of waiting finally got an electrician to check the house.

They checked everything,and said the problem with the power companies lines.Call Edison,they come back out and declare its not their problem and tried to blow me off with every possible excuse,I kept repeating "The electricians said a neutral problem on your wires..." and finally said " I tell you what,dont fix it and I swear to God if anything happens to anyone here,I will not only sue Edison,I will sue you personally,and THATS A FACT!"

So guy relunctantly gets on his cherry picker (in the rain,)and mickie mouses around for a half hour or so,cuts the power,plays more electrical games,power comes back on.

Knock on the door.Guy now has a completely different attitude and tells me,guess what,the neutral was shorting to the metal on the mast,we replaced the wire,all is well.

And it was.

Moral of the story,I had an electric bathtub with 14 volts in it,now nada!

BTW,the electricians on this board had properly diagnosed the problem from the get go,THANKS AGAIN GENTLEMEN,MUCH APPRECIATED!

BooBoo