Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to the wife about Christmas presents. I asked her to buy me the first season of the 70's TV show the Walton's. Figured it might give me some valuable information about how people got through the Great Depression. Might be VERY valuable information for the coming year. My stocking stuffer for her is a 2008 gold coin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Was talking to the wife about Christmas presents. I asked her to buy me the first season of the 70's TV show the Walton's. Figured it might give me some valuable information about how people got through the Great Depression. Might be VERY valuable information for the coming year. My stocking stuffer for her is a 2008 gold coin.
I have the first season on DVD and love it! I never get tired of watching it and there are times when some good info can be learned from the episodes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the first two seasons. I got them for my birthday in the summer. I have saved the second season to watch during the Holidays. So I get to open it now.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I DVR them every morning and watch them in the evening after work. I have always loved The Waltons. Mr. Walton reminded me of my dad and I had a crush on John-Boy. I still think he was a cutie. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
the "Walton's" is a great romantic series, and i do appreciate and love the way the story was put together, the family bonds and good messages that the shows in parted. the one i was thinking about was the movie that started the series, was "the homecoming", more realistic. anyone who is a fan should also check out "Spencer's mountain" with Henry Fonda. that is the original book. but growing up in the area not to far from where the story was based, i can tell you that looking at the "Walton's" as the example of life in the depression, is like watching "hogans heroes" to see how life was in German p.o.w camps during WWII.
if you really want to know about life then, look into the foxfire books

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The Waltons is a great series, and I would love to have them all myself, but I don't think they'd be an accurate source of survival or prep info.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I love the Waltons!

Yancy Tucker was actually John's (the father) best friend and hunting buddy (as crooked as he was). Ben just helped him out at times, like when he was trying to get married.

I have all of the seasons and I watch it when I can on the Hallmark Channel. It's a wonderful series, but it's certainly no lesson in how to handle hardship. They handle it the Hollywood way... something heartwarming always happens in the end to make ends meet. The reality is that you die hungry in the cold.

(Boy, how's that for being jaded.)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a wonderful series, but it's certainly no lesson in how to handle hardship. They handle it the Hollywood way... something heartwarming always happens in the end to make ends meet. The reality is that you die hungry in the cold.
Yah, true, but if I really wanted to get hard core, I've asked for a copy of "Alive" and learn how to survive by eating human flesh! Still think I'll start with the Waltons. Human flesh can come later.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
well, in the show's defense it wasn't INTENDED to be a survivorman for the depression. It was all about relationships--and contrasting those to the swingin' liberated 70's. IMO the show was accurate in how they portrayed "folks", I knew a lot of people in my growing up just like the people on the Walton's. So quit raggin on the Walton's :D

My grandparents came from Minnesota, a tornado smashed the family farm and my grandpa hopped a boxcar west to work on GRand COulee Dam, and in the woods logging. My grandma and mother followed when he saved up for them to come. THings were very hard, my grandma had to make just about everything for them (like underwear out of flour sacks--something my mom remembered and my grandma was always ashamed she "had" to do). My grandfather worked very very hard at whatever he could find, and eventually turned that into a real successful construction biz when things boomed.

I had a really neat time going through my grandma's house, sorting everything (she kept EVERYTHING) I have many of her cooking tools and sewing stuff from that time. There is also a box of letters to go through full of juicy rantings and ravings of young 20 something long distance relationship :D.

LOVE that Spencer's Mountain movie too--I could just eat all that scenery up!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts