The waiting is KILLING ME!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 25, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We have 3 does that are due soon (don't know specific dates, bought them pasture bred). The poor girls are getting their ligaments (thanks to all who told me how!) "felt up" several times a day. When I can't feel them anymore my DH may find me passed out cold with the goaties! Is the wait killing anyone else? :eek:

PS--I just love talking goats with everyone, not too many where I live that do! :D

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I've being sliding since January when I first noticed my doe was due! Every week I think, ok, this must be the week! Now I've given up, I think she's just going to stay pregnant!! Every once in awhile, her ligaments feel looser, then I check later & they're tight as ropes! :haha: I started her due date in Feb. & just keep adding 3 weeks on to it!

I have been checking her 3-4 times a day, & she's getting spoiled about it. I heard her scream when we were getting ready to go out to eat the other day, & DH said go check her, we'll wait. She spilled her water :rolleyes: that I just gave her, guess she needed more RIGHT NOW! ;)

Any time you want to talk goats, go ahead & pm me! I always love to talk goats, (and I think everyone around me is tired of it!! :no: )

Tricia

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

I have a first freshener at day 146 - - and yes, anxious, excited, just plain going crazy watching her and checking her udder, ligaments, and back end. I think she is really getting tired of me 'fondling' her !!! (lol). Today I noticed I can almost grab her spine and feel my fingers on the other side, so I am guessing really soon, there is no streaming yet. Got my baby monitor at my bedside as I figure she will wait until the wee hours of the morning just to get me out of bed :haha:

Tonight I guess I will make a big carafe of hot chocolate in case she decides to throw early.

4. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

"Every once in awhile, her ligaments feel looser, then I check later & they're tight as ropes! "

Whats this checking ligaments ?? I've just bought 11 new nannys and five of them are huge. Got one nanny thats about to explode, I put her in the barn last week after noticing some discharge and four days later I give up and let her out, still no kid. Then yesterday the wife called and said we had a baby and it was from a totally different nanny that didnt even look pregers. I give up on trying to guess when they will kid and just look for babies when I go out to feed in the afternoon.
    Kendall

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy Ya'll I am waiting for my nubian to kidd also...been waiting 2 weeks but dont have a date on her...it was a sneaky breeding lol....I wasnt in attendance.....today i seen some discharge,udders knocking her knees lol..tail loose...maybe tonight?....I also love to talk about my goats...already had 2 sets of twins this year kept 2 and sold 2 off to another poster on this board.....fixing to get some real bad storms tonight they say so of course she will havr them tonight lol......Dale Anne

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well, you will have kids soon, by the sounds of it. You can email me any time to talk goats, no one right close by has goats.
    and neighbors hate them, some think they are the sign of the devil. so that leaves me , the Goat lady, as they call me. but I love my goats, have babies in my kitchen right now. to cold out side yet. this was a set of quads, and t osmall for being out side here, in michigan. so in the kitchen they are, and spoiled rotten they are also. believe me.

7. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Hoggfan, I just learned the ligament trick this year & everyone seems to swear by it.

What you do is:
    (but I must say, you need a doe that is tame enough for you to handle)
    Start on her spine, right above her tail. Run your two fingers in a V shape, one on each side of her spine, down towards her tail. You're looking for two "lines" in a diagonal going from spine to pin (or thigh) bones. You have to press a little to feel them. If you can't feel them right away, go from the top of the pin bone & work your way back, that's how I found them. They are in a V shape from the spine to pin bones. Once you do find them, it's sooo easy to locate them again!

Now why do you want to find them? Well, they relax when the doe is going into labor, so you aren't supposed to be able to find them when she's ready. I haven't got that far yet, since I think my doe likes being pregnant!

Hope this explains!! :)

Tricia

8. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

Hey burfer,
    What general part of NC are you?
    My doe seems to kid during the afternoon feeding--we all just stand outside the stall and watch to see if she has problems
    all kids are just so cute

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

You can talk goats with me anytime you want, too. We're crazy about our "poor man's cows" (although I think we're much richer for having them in our lives).

DD13 really found her niche in 4-H when she started showing goats 3 years ago, too. We've had goats since she was a baby and we finally had a place with room for animals. Started with brush eaters and now she has a few nice show animals and an ADGA membership/herd name! She also has a utility goat project (hmm, and guess who ended up as goat project leader?) and is training one of our goats to pull a cart. That doe is on maternity leave right now (and is starting into active labor right now) so her project is on hold temporarily.

Somehow, I ended up with an AGDA membership and a herd name of my own, and I'm eagerly looking forward to a couple Ober doe kids coming this spring to start my Ober herd. We have mostly Alpines and Nubians with the odd LaMancha and Pygmy thrown in. I don't think there is a breed I don't like....I just like goats!

I feel very blessed to live in an area where there are a lots of folks around who like and own goats. Still, there's no one in the immediate area with goats, and it's nice to be able to turn on the computer and find myself in a group of goat lovers!

10. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Vere My Sone
    We are basically in the middle of NC! We are near Raleigh, NC.
    :D
    wendy(burfer)