The view from my walk to the barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Irish Pixie, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

This is my view when I walk to work every morning at 6 am. Ahh, NY in the summer.

[​IMG]

Stacy

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Beautiful, how are the winters?

3. Irish Pixie

I don't mind the winters, Lacyj. We'll get a couple of storms with a foot or so of snow, but it's worth it.

Stacy

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Very pretty. I want to see that same view in the fall please ;)

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Aaaah! That's just lovely. :)

6. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

That looks familiar, I lived in Ithaca for four years.

lacyj, It's NY the winters are nasty! Though there are places that are worse.

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Wow!!! If I had a view like that, I'd never get any work done. I'd just sit down & stare out at it all day.
    I would like to see it in the winter, with snow. We don't get much, & I love winter scenes.

8. TNnative

TNnative Well-Known Member

Me too! Me too! :haha:

Idle curiosity here, but what do you do for a living? :)

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

What do you do for a vacation when you have a view like that every day?

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I often feel I don't need any get away vacation with the view out back of my place. It's like Stacy's beautiful pictures due to less rolling hills. However the tree and wildlife species are great to see.
    I actually enjoy our winters if you get a chance to get outside on skis or snowshoes and get on the trails 'amongst em'. I could always wish we had a bit longer growing season, but even at that something can be harvested. Wild Blueberries soon come into fruit. yum, yum... :yeeha:

11. Irish Pixie

TNNative, I breed Warmblood horses. I'll never be rich but it allows me to stay home and work.

Woodsrunner, NY winters aren't that bad! I do tend to hibernate by the woodstove during January and February tho. I like the snow until about March then it can go away. I'm in Broome County, near Windsor.

Cyngbaeld, what's a vacation? :grin: I like staying on the farm.

The only drawback is gardening, we're zone 4 and it's a little harder to get a good garden going. We had our last frost early this month, being a procrastinator finally worked out for me.

I'll post pictures of fall and winter too. I'll try to get one of the horse pasture and hill, maybe the cabin too, tomorrow morning. We have 113 acres, 50 open and the rest wooded, and it's just breath taking.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the picture.

Stacy

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Beautiful scenery Stacy ! What is your average high and low for July and August ?? And , what is the elevation at your farm? I would guess that you are so far north that the elevation won't make much difference . I believe several folks have lamented the fact that property taxes in NY are extremely high but maybe that was in NYCity as opposed to the county . fordy.. :)

13. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Oh, you make me miss HOME........I grew up in Delaware Co. - a little over an hour east from you - beautiful country - enjoy the summer

14. Irish Pixie

fordy, I looked up the average temps, just for you. :grin: For July it's 78 degrees, and August 76, the normal lows are both 60 degrees. The humidity is usually low, so when we get days like yesterday and today (and for the next couple of days) with the humidity high and dewpoint at 65+ it's wicked uncomfortable. The property taxes are a bit high, but if you make your property a business they come down to reasonable levels.

Stacy

15. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I think the average will be higher this year ;)
    Signed, sweating 30 mi away from Stacy

16. Irish Pixie

I think so too, Mobarger. It's 7:25 am and just got done picking horse stalls, graining, and bringing them and I'm soaked. We've had more heat and humidity so far this year than we usually do all summer. It's been nice at night tho.

Stacy

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Stacy , thanks . I've never been to NY state but the pic's of the countryside always seemed to show a beautiful landscape . The whole country gets bombarded with nothing but NYC on the major morning news casts so I've always thought all the urban types lived in NYC , and the country folk out in the county . You are very blessed to live in such a beautiful place . fordy.. :)

18. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Just got back fromthe field putting in taters. Thought I was about ready to die.
    Today we put up hay. Someone else baled it thank goodness. It seems it's always the hottest day when the hay is ready.
    Love your view Stacy :D I do keep looking at the pi c ;)

19. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Stacy, it's beautiful! I still think it would be a lovely spot for a wedding.

20. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Just beautiful. It is always nice when people in other areas of the country get to see that the NY/NJ area isn't completely paved over.

Now if we could only get rid of some of this high heat/high humidity combo we could go back to having a normal summer.