Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago, in a previous life, I used to run half marathons (13.5 miles for those that might not know). I did some damage to my knees/hips along the way and eventually had to give up. Since then I have tried a number of times to start running again and each time, once I get to the 5 mile stage, my legs have packed up on me again. Now I know I tend to overtrain, go to far too soon etc, but I had pretty much accepted that I wouldn't be running anywhere in the future!!

Fast forward to the weekend, my mother suggests to my 13yo nephew, in my presence, why don't you do the six mile run in October. "I couldn't run that far" he said. So I piped up "sure you could, just have to keep training etc, etc". He continues to protest that he couldn't do it so what did I open my big mouth with........"I'll do it with you"!!! :shrug:

The short version is that new running shoes are on order for me, and we will commence training in the next couple of days as soon as my shoes arrive.

Oh yes... and the punchline...the run isn't in October, its the 8th September. Whilst I am looking forward to running again - I am really quite nervous that my leg will pack up again - especially as it is quite important to my nephew that we do it :shrug:

Oh well - no-one accused me of being bright :rolleyes:

hoggie

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Hoggie - your body is trying to tell you something. I'd think it might be a good idea to listen. What are you going to do later when your knees stop working well for the day to day stuff.

Please think on this.
Take care.
Angie

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I will be increasing my runs as slowly as the time allowed will permit. Obviously we now have 6 weeks less to train in. I have sort of made a deal with myself that if I have troubles in the early stages, then I will give up and cycle with my nephew while he trains. If it goes right at the end, then I will take a deep breath and offer up a few prayers to get me through it :rolleyes:

Normally, training on my own, I would be doing 5 miles in about 1 week to 10 days, did I ever tell you I have problems with pushing myself :( . On the plan we have we won't do 5 until about week 7 so with any luck, it should hold out.

I am still giving it serious thought but I REALLY don't wawnt to let him down now I have offered. He really needs something to pick up his confidence and he has taken this on like a good 'un

hoggie

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hoggie...I don't know how old you are now but believe me when you are in your 40's your body will feel EVERY abuse you gave it in its younger days. Have fun training but take it easy on yourself...you only have one body.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Yes, you can do it. September is far enough in the future. Start working up distances very gradually. Get good running shoes that will absorb some of the impact. Stick to low-impact surfaces as much as you can (trails are great, asphalt medium, concrete terrible). Don't worry about speed. If you're going to stick with the running after this race, I suggest starting some weight training, too - if your muscles are stronger, they will absorb much of the impact that will otherwise be transferred to your poor joints. Good luck!!!

(and a half-marathon is 13.1 miles, BTW - guess it's been a few years ;) )

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
My brother is 57. He runs every day, competes in marathons frequently, and has even done a 100-mile race every year. Yea--by himself. (I don't know if he still does it every year.)

When he first told me about the 100-mile run, I thought he was talking about a relay--with a team. NO==he does it himself--100 miles!

I don't know what he does, but he takes care of himself, and runs every day--hardly ever misses.

I think the secret for him is that he's never quit since starting in high school. It's kind of amazing.

Good for you! Take it easy.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Get the book, "Body Wisdom", by Sharon Giammatteo.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Trixiwick - sorry yes - 13.1. Was figuring it out today - must be about 15 years since I last did one - about 8 - 10 since I last tried to run.

Yes - I bought myself some good quality running shoes before I even started. I think some of the damage I did initially was running without proper footwear on the roads, so I refused to even start until my shoes arrived.

We will try to keep off the roads as much as possible to begin with, quite hard to find enough routes to use but we will do what we can.

So, we started last night - nephew took me out for about a mile :Bawling:
Pride is a terrible thing :rolleyes: I must confess that if I hadn't been through it all before I would probaby have given up after about 3/4. Having been there I knew that I had enough left to finish but I had to work at it LOL. Nephew meanwhile was bouncing about like a kangaroo still - why he thinks he needs me to do it with him I have NO idea. The only question mark in my mind is how he will react when it does get hard for him - at the moment he is well within his fitness levels.

Surprise, surprise this morning I am not stiff. Does this mean that I have now reached the age where the stiffness doesn't set in until 2 or 3 days later LOL.

hoggie

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Go for it Hoggie! You can do it. Just listen to your body and take it easy. You will be so proud of yourself and your nephew will be too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts