The Taxman Cameth...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, May 2, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

The auditor showed up today. Well a rep of the auditors office.

"hmmm, we never noticed that barn out back"

Hmmm, it's been there for years.

"Yeah, we saw it from the sky"

great.

"It's ok, we will make sure to add it to your taxes!!!"

thanks.

Good news... six more years before the next audit... time to build that big chicken coop now.

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Son-of-a-gun...[shaking head]. :shrug:

3. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Oooo..is that who that is flying over in that very low helicopter? Maybe I'll leave the tarps on the roof after all. :p

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

ZYG, you forgot to use camoflauge on your barn. <G>

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hum maybe ya need to pick up some green paint for the roof of the next one. :D

6. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

There's a helicopter going over me right now! It's the third or fourth one today.

We lucked out the last time the appraiser was here. She, for some reason, didn't notice our brand new 18 x 18 concrete patio. COOL!

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

We are lucky here. They send a form for us to fill out every year.

I think they make spot checks in the area but never have assessed by chopper.

Now in the state to the south of me they do and I have a true story to tell about that one.

A co worker got an assessment for 8 cars on her place. She had one and her DH has one. She went in to find out where this number came from and they pulled the picture they had taken of her place with all the cars in the yard.

She was having a Tupperware party at her home that day. I swear this is true. They said sure... uh huh.. heard that one before.

She had to get them to come out and check again. Talk about dumb!

8. Naughty Pines

Naughty Pines Active Member

Build it in the barn out back. :dance: :nana:

9. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

They don't need a chopper they have satelite images that can show where you have straw bales at.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Well, if they had paid attention to the sats they would have known that the barn has been here for YEARS...

Anywho... Hey NEO'ers, when are we getting together again?

11. SouthBoundGal

SouthBoundGal Member

We had something like that happen here. They claimed we had six buildings on our property. Even if I count the neighbors house, the doghouse (plastic, Wal-mart type), and the well pump cover, that only equals five. Go figure.
    I told my husband that it was time to clear the back of our property, maybe they knew something we didn't. I would have loved to stumble across a new storage building or treehouse or something useful.

12. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Makes you wonder where the privacy is, doesn't it? You can put a gate across the driveway, fence in your place, post 'no trespassing' signs, and they'll just buzz you in a chopper. Kind of creepy when you think about it.

A friend of mine had a guy show up at her door with aerial photos of her property. He wanted her to buy them! If he'd have shown up at my door, he'd have gotten a chewing out for invading my privacy :flame: ... I could've been sunbathing in the buff! :eek: Hmmm..now if I knew when the tax man was going to fly over..I could do that..maybe he'd avert his eyes from the horror and never bother us again! :hobbyhors

13. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

As soon as you invite us to your place! I'll bring some homemade bread and jam.

14. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in coming to Carroll County for the Rib Burnoff at the airport, it is on Saturday, June 3rd. Always a good time.

Mike

15. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

That happened to us 4yrs. ago. We have a shelter (tin top, no sides, four post and a concert floor 10x10-they didn't have on the books (its' only been there 52yrs--yes, 52yrs). :flame: Maybe the other ass--sors, didn't think it was a building-- He explained "there won't be back taxes, it'll just start next yr.! :flame: :flame:

16. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

The other day we received a Notice of Change of Assessment from our town. Our assessment jumped $39,800. The only thing we've changed is to fence (3 strands barbless wire) in 20 acres. It doesn't do any good to grieve the assessment, unless you have a lawyer, but I am going down to ask the assessor(s) what they based the increase on.

Stacy