Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was to be a great day!
Planned trip w my oldest to find a black dress....
Ok, so that was a bust, no big deal.
Went to our fav. place to get a bite to eat, and she forgot her ID.
Again, no biggie.....
Went to try a new place......stood by the hostess for 2-3 min, no one came to seat us, so we left.
Went and had a wonderful lunch else where.
Went to the dog food store, then the book store.
Stood in line for 4-5 minutes, while cashier took phone order.
Employee walked up, put away books in front of us, walked away.
Another employee walks PAST me to get to her register, never looks up, never acknowledges me, and helps another customer that came out of nowhere.
When I get to the register, I was ticked.
The cashier says "oh, did she cut in front of you?"
I just looked at her.....
She said "oh that happens sometimes".
(her tone of voice was very VERY condesending)

Uh, what?
This bookstore is NOTORIOUS for the staff being a bit 'snooty and rude'.
I just looked at her with that "are you serious right now" look.

No, the right thing to do would have been "I'm sorry ma'am, these ladies were ahead of YOU"
"Ladies, I apologize, she barged in ahead of you"

But "oh it happens sometimes?"
Whatever, who cares.

So we went to the apple orchard to get the BEST apple cider in the world.
We are walking from the cooler to the register, and a woman with a cart all but runs into me.....I literally had to rock up on my tip toes so she didn't hit me in the side......no "oh my gosh I'm so sorry" nothing....just continues out the door with her kid.
I looked at my daughter and said I needed to get out of public.....
She looked at me and said "what is going on today".

We check out, heading out the door, I hold the door for a woman (dressed professional, she's probably 55ish) she looks at me, then keeps on walking.
Not a "thank you, kiss my butt" nothing........

My daughter says "what is going on today mom".

I have no idea.

Got home and stayed home.
Wow weeeee is all I've got to say.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Sounds like a typical day in public any more.. All of that is a huge reason we moved to an area with a really small population... We still run into rudeness, but not lik you do in a big town...

Not sure who to blame, but we sure aren't a very polite society like we've been in the past..

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
I just shake my head sometimes Laura*, I used to get agitated, and defensive (down right angry!) at such inconsiderateness. I find solace in knowing that all people are not like this-and I try to be mannerly, polite, and considerate. I try to set good examples, whenever possible around Young people-cause they are the future. I Hope that You have a turnaround Day,where everyone You encounter is courteous*. Day's like You describe, sure make me appreciate the good day's*- Peace*

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Just this past weekend, a friend & I noticed that younger people (teens, 20s ~ 30s) will politely hold a door (We are both 60-ish and struggle with balance/walking issues.) much more often than folks in our own age range!!

This is not a sanctioned poll, but our casual observation.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I hold doors, engage in conversation, smile, and otherwise stay involved and aware of where i am and who I'm around. Everyone gets a smile whether they want it or not! LOL I have actually laughed out loud at the people that cut in line, and instantly next say, "that's OK, go ahead and go in front of me you obviously are in a great hurry"!

I know a lady that calls everyone out on anything, she can't drive for 5 minutes without engaging in verbal road rage, and uses the horn constantly, she is just angry all the time. I just could not enjoy spending time with that personality. Rather deal with line cutters!! LOLL

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
This sounds like a normal day unfortunately.

I would be better off if I could just shrug it off, so of course I am incapable of doing so. When I hold the door for someone and they don't say anything, in a slightly louder than normal voice I say your welcome with a big smile on my face. Hopefully their Mama's taught them enough that they feel badly because of their lack of manners and social graces. I tend to use that tone of voice quite a bit actually. I figure that if nobody says anything that folks will think it is ok to behave this way. Reminds me of something my ex did.

We were walking into Sam's Club shortly after we were first married. There was a young woman walking in front of us that had on some daisy duke's that showed the bottom curve of her butt cheeks. As soon as I noticed I naturally looked at my husband to see if he was looking. Well duh....he wasn't blind, of course he was looking. At which point I glared at him. He smiled real big at me and said in an overloud voice....If she didn't want me looking at her a** she wouldn't have it hanging out the bottom of her shorts! That young woman stopped dead in her tracks, turned around and looked at us with a shocked look on her face. My husband grinned real big at her. I assure you she didn't wear those shorts in public again. Humiliation can be a useful teaching tool.

·
newfieannie
9,632 Posts
TM and I must be related from somewhere down the line because I do the exact same thing. can't keep my mouth shut!

I must say though I spend most of my time in the city and there's this one strip mall that I invariably end up at every time I go shopping because it has the no frills and dollar store. also SA. everyone knows me by name there and they are all just lovely polite people. holding doors and all that stuff. even walking from one store to the other the people you meet are so friendly(it probably helps that I talk to everybody and his dog)we are close enough that I make cookies and stuff for Christmas, VD etc.

where I find some snooty people is at the WM just outside of the city proper. (what a snot works at the jewellry store at certain hours)I will stand in a long line to get to someone I know rather than go to them. the floor walkers come up to me and say this one is open and i'll say something like "I can't stand her. I like it here" there again they do have some lovely girls where we know each others names and whatnot. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
yall aint seen nothing yet !!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Probably the biggest eye opener for my son was freshman year in college. His friends were rude. I had to laugh because he was so offended by them. He spent that whole year educating them on manners. He said they had no clue and liked knowing them etc.

I laugh every time I think about him telling me that. Something so engrained in him. He's an introvert and has problems meeting your eyes but will hold the door open, say thank you if you do and will always say excuse me if he crosses in front of you. Thank you is automatic with him. Now if you're family...... LOL Except if you're his Granny then don't ever hurt his Granny. He is a gentle giant but hurt his Granny and the mitts are off.

I think sometimes I'm immune or unaware of rudeness. Maybe I don't want to notice /\/\, but then I will have a Laura day. Usually the good out weighs the bad. Laura I think I would have been vocal on your day.LOL

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Also, I remind myself that some of those ppl I encounter might be in pain or just had a tragedy in their lives and are preoccupied.
I have had a few occasions where a person is purposely rude to me. Maybe they don't like electric scooters! :D That's when the gloves come off verbally. I ask them, in a very loud voice, "Are you rude to everybody or just cripples!?". They slink off because all the ppl around are staring at thm. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I don't know Ardie. We had to draw straws to see who would take Mom shopping. I swear she thought the object was to hit as many people and displays as possible with the motorized shopping buggy thing. Are you a careful driver?:D
OMG! You should see my DH drive the store's electric carts! I keep yelling, "No, children or lil ol' ladies!" :hammer:

I'm very careful although I've hit a display or two that were far too close to the aisle.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I find people of all stripes. Some nice, some not. Up in the Bakken I make it a habit to use the same manners I was taught when I was younger - some do likewise, some don't. I don't really mind people not saying anything if I hold the door... it's more those that don't do it for me, and then it slams in my face.

I'm too confrontational tho. I always say "thanks" to their rude gesture. Sometimes they look back, sometimes they're too self absorbed.

It's just modern life - it's not pleasant, and it won't change my personal behavior. I'll still try to treat people well, and on occasion it'll be noticed... and that's thanks enough :)

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
I laugh every time I think about him telling me that. Something so engrained in him. He's an introvert and has problems meeting your eyes but will hold the door open, say thank you if you do and will always say excuse me if he crosses in front of you.
WARN Him About this !
You see in this day and age if you don't look a woman in the eyes you can lose a job and be prosecuted for Sexual Harassment! If you are not looking her in the eye Where are you looking? Look down and you are ogling her boobs :ashamed: look up and you are a arrogant male.:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
WARN Him About this !
You see in this day and age if you don't look a woman in the eyes you can lose a job and be prosecuted for Sexual Harassment! If you are not looking her in the eye Where are you looking? Look down and you are ogling her boobs :ashamed: look up and you are a arrogant male.:facepalm:
We have talked about that. It's very hard for him. Where he has the most trouble is in restaurants. He has compromised by looking at the menus.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts