Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this year aint over but have you started next seasons garden yet? heres my start....garlic planted 2 weeks ago.i had shared some martin garlic with tambo in past and my crop mostly failed this year and she was kind enough to send me a usps flat rate box filled with bulbs.had a 100% sprout rate in this 4x4 bed...63 out of 63. this is 3 to 4 inches tall.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
planted another 40 some yesty.in a round raised bed and i finished it off with a few detriot red beets.probably to late but i was thinking if it might sprout and survive through winter and then take off in spring i might get a few beets for borsch soup early on before others are thinking of even plowing a garden.one other thing i am doing is planting a few potatoes so they can start growing as soon as ground is warm enough so i can dig up a few new taters way early. i done this a few times before and it worked fine but not the last few years. i am back to doing more off the wall garden stuff from my local neighbors...lol...who think my gardening is nuts but cant argue with results....lol

p.s. one of my young olive trees has put on new leaf growth and has a few tiny olives on it.a bit closer to having more success by thinking outside box and at least trying different approaches to gardening and orcharding.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that "dirt" is what was made from chipped up trees and piled up in large quantities like foreruuner says to do in his extreme composting thread...i had over a dozen loads dumped and its rotted down to between one and two loads now.

i got a few heirloom taters today called snowflake or some call it a boston cracker.cant wait to plant and expand those.they are reported to be a top keeper in a root cellar.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after seeing how well bloomsdale longstanding spinach survived -5 and -10f temps here last winter to emerge and give me tons of nice spinach come spring i will be doing more. i will be harvesting a barrel of taters and i will leave a few taters "planted" and cover up and on top plant spinach...if i get spinach this winter fine....but i will eat early harvest from it and bu the time taters start popping ground and taking over that bed i will have tired of eating spinach.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Use to grow good Brussels sprouts love cool weather.
Even up here in the cold northland I harvested lots end of
October under snow. One of the last veggies of season next
to kale that can stand hard frosts. Actually get sweeter.
I'm sure you could grow that now, only limited by short days .

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
You are way ahead of me Elk. I still haven't plowed under my Summer cover crop, but I have a good excuse, partly anyway. I've been gathering arm loads of the cow peas and throwing them to the cows. They'll turn their nose up at sweet feed for those peas. It's a very high protein forage.

On another thought: Any of you guys ever harvested wild onions? I mowed my brother's pasture for him yesterday, and it was inundated with onions. I smelled onions on the tire tread even when I got home. Our cows would eat it in the pasture growing up, and the milk would taste like onions, even if you made chocolate milk. Now there is a flavor sensation: whole milk spiced with wild onions and flavored with Bosco.

U

·
0 Posts
I planted garlic last week, and it came a gully washer, the weather website noted a record for that date, 1.57 inches. All about 3 hours after I wet my garlic cloves in. Furthermore, Martin was letting 100 of his own garlic bulbils go for $5.00, so I got 2 of them, 200 bulbils plus. Planted them in a separate area, in order to know exactly where the Martin garlic was, as opposed to the mix of years past that I planted. Well, it rained pretty bad for 3 or 4 days, I'd go out and check every so often, had to bury a few that washed out, but this morning everything looked pretty good. Also, a couple rows I planted last year that were no-shows popped up.

Found the perfect spot for the Jerusalem artichoke(aka sunchokes) that I got from TraciInTexas. Getting all my seeds dried and put up for next spring. Soon, 2 weeks or so, we'll get the first frost, and I'll get up the rest of the peppers, tomatoes, and butterbeans, Then the loofa, and hang them up to dry. Peeling them, getting the seeds out, sending loofah seeds, and ground cherry seeds to everybody that asks for them will give me something to do well into December. Then, time to prune fruit trees for spring, and start potting up tomatoes, etc. Life goes on and on.

Got plenty of wine made, and still making, it don't work good at temperatures below 70. Got about 20 gallons and will make about half into vinegar. The beer jelly I invented and tweaked into perfection is good stuff. Got plenty of George Washington's original recipe beer. I'll make some persimmon preserves in the next day or two. There's really no break between one year and the next, it seems like. Maybe I take on too much for an old coot, but I have even more ambitious plans for next year that will entail making raised beds all down the yard, keeping record, and posting how much work, time, and money go into each plot, and what the return is. So the whole world can see that you really can do it, and how it's done. Lotta extra work for an old coot, but might as well leave a little something to the rest of the world. Knowledge is power, and a whole lotta folks don't have any idea that they can grow most of their food in a small area.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
On another thought: Any of you guys ever harvested wild onions? I mowed my brother's pasture for him yesterday, and it was inundated with onions. I smelled onions on the tire tread even when I got home. Our cows would eat it in the pasture growing up, and the milk would taste like onions, even if you made chocolate milk. Now there is a flavor sensation: whole milk spiced with wild onions and flavored with Bosco.
We used to gather them up in the late spring. Don't know if they are the same type you have? Pretty small bulb...like the size of a fingernail. They aren't a prolific grower, and seemed to like certain areas. 15 minutes of digging would get you a small handful of bulbs.

We also have a similar plant called Death Camas that I have heard it said that many mistake for wild onions. They're not very close to look alikes, but slightly similar.

Cattle here love wild onions as well. You get to driving a bunch of cows and you can really smell that they've been eating them. Whew...I bet they really would taint the milk! Never took the opportunity to try any. When I had nurse cows, all I ever took was the morning milk, after they had spent the night in a pen eating good alfalfa.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
I priced out materials to do a pvc a-frame garden. That way I can go vertical along the sunny side of our rental.

Next weekend I'll clear the container garden and plant some color bulbs and maybe some garlic.

T

·
0 Posts
I made a rack for climbers (plans for next year) from a cattle panel I bought in Oklahoma. I had Hubster make a dog gate for the house out of one section, and cut the remainder into two pieces that are attached by rings of wire up top... If it works well, I may make several for beans, peas, and a particularly tasty squash I saved seeds from recently!

The stock panel ended up about 6' long on each side.

I still need to get out there and till up another patch or two of dirt for the spring, but when it is 90... I just don't think I have to rush yet.

My peppers (second-season plantings) and Roma tomatoes are about to flood me...

Anyone want Ghost peppers or Trinidad Scorpion peppers? I am going to squish them flat once they dry out, and see if they'll fit in a regular envelope for mailing. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some of my experiments...by watching and seeing minor temps differences and varations of alltitude...i still have tomatoes....never had them this late before...the only thing i wished is i had some romas.but these old heirloom indeterminate have done fantastic since i got start of seed out of freezer from early 80's last year and started growing them.

i chanced a pot of late peas....got one small one and its blooming a bit.time will tell if this was a success or a fail.

i had a volnteer tomatoe pop up from the chicken manure i added to pots and i let it run out on ground.its even got a couple maters on it.now i wonder how it woulda done if i had tied it up and actually cared for it.if it tastes good imay save a few seed to "try".

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You are way ahead of me Elk. I still haven't plowed under my Summer cover crop, but I have a good excuse, partly anyway. I've been gathering arm loads of the cow peas and throwing them to the cows. They'll turn their nose up at sweet feed for those peas. It's a very high protein forage.

Ain't that just the best??? Specially in hot chocolate... Bitterweed makes it yummy too...

B

·
0 Posts
I saw the neatest thing online last week..can't recall where..maybe Facebook...anyway, you make a cold frame out of stacked hay bales and old windows..take one window out at a time as the veggies grow...eventually, you have veggies and mulch..love it.:)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heirloom indeterminate Elk? Do you know the name of the variety?

its unknow....the seed came from a 90 plus year old women in early 1980's.she said it was no longer available and she had been growing it here in mtns her entire life.it was in freezer in a bottle all this time.last year i decided to grow them.its a big yellow tomato...indeterminate....some has a redish blush on bottom ....but they are not a mr.stripey.last year i had a few vines i know hot 15 plus feet in length.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts