the social Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dirtywhitellama, Sep 12, 2006.

1. dirtywhitellama

dirtywhitellama I don't have llamas.

Would a single goat be OK with a couple sheep for company?

This message seems awfully short but I cant think of anything else to add to my question :)

2. desertoasisfarm

desertoasisfarm Active Member

Well, I don't think this will answer your question at all, but just thought I could tell you an experience I had. We got a lamb that was rejected by mother and bottle raised her inside the house. When the time came to transition her outside we thought she could go out with the two goats we had. WRONG! They hated her! We had to build her a special area and then buy the mother that rejected her to give her company. Maybe it depends on the ages as the goats were several months older than her, but it did not work under those particular circumstances. Hope someone knows better than I and can help you more. :shrug:

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would think a goat would miss having another goat. Goats are highly intelligent creatures and sheep are not. I think they would miss the company of their own kind.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The reason for this is probably that they were establishing dominance. You should wait for the lamb to be about 6 months before putting him/her in with older goats. After some fights and scuffles, it should resolve itself. Make sure your housing is big enough to accomidate territorial goats and extra space for the 'intruder'.

About the goat in with sheep, get at least another goat. Goats are very smart and sheep aren't. How would you like to live with/work with a bunch of idiots? LOL you'd be annoyed. Get the goat a buddy and it should be fine. Goats tend to have a calming effect on sheep, making them startle less. Good in stressful situations.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen goats in those situations before and they have no idea they are missing anything. They just think being a sheep is normal. They may have trouble adjusting if you ever do put them back in with goats though. :rolleyes: Also, most sheep minerals have no copper and goats *need* copper, so you would have to supply that somehow.
    We had a single sheep in with our goat herd for a year....she thought she was a goat and even when we got a whole flock of sheep, refused to stay with her own kind. Instead they would graze and she would go out and browse with her goaty family. She tolerated the ram long enough to get bred then ran back to the goat herd. Five months later she gave birth to twin lambs right along with the goats kidding and she raised them like goats as well. She was one special and tough little lady.... :)

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

well emily if they accept you into Mensa, you don't want to be seen hanging out at the bowling alley :nerd:

only problem is .. make sure your sheep are tested for what is it opp and scrapies? or whatever is goat cae in sheep language. unless it's not an important goatie. when we first started in goats we had a ewe, till I took her two years in a row for breeding and she didn't take so we sold her for meat because She was mean to the goats would ram them horribly. I wouldn't want a sheep in with my goats now.

7. ozark_jewels

I'm sorry.....this is greek to me....I must be slow this morning...???? :help:

8. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Mensa...an organization exclusively for people with high IQ's
    Bowling alley...well I'm pretty sure you know what that is :)

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Sorry Emily,
    Just being my normal smart alec self, I'm terrible. Though I am a nice person.. ask Lisa at appraisals as she trotted her Huge behemoth beautiful buck past I told her she forgot to clip his udder. how much I bite my tounge a lot on the lists you 'll never know :rolleyes:

10. ozark_jewels

Thanks!! :)

11. ozark_jewels

LOL!! No problem! My mind was filled with thoughts of breeding lists and packing I need to do this morning and I just couldn't wrap my brain around what you meant. :rolleyes:
    Now that suzyhomemaker was nice enough to explian it to slow old me......I totally agree with you! I think that is exactly the mentality my old ewe had....... :)

12. dirtywhitellama

dirtywhitellama I don't have llamas.

Thanks for your replies everyone..... we may not be looking at a goat for a while.... heck we havent our sheep yet, but looking into them.... we have grass but not much browse that isn't off-limits for one thing.

13. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

My goats beat up the sheep. I wouldn't advise housing them together. I won't lie, sometimes I do, but not permanently.