Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Superintendent I worked for in Carbide once that would always want to shake your hand, and ask how you were doing, and greet the men before he ever talked about the work he had for the day.

He was and still is a very nice man, and one day while he was shaking my hand ( while we were alone on the job ) I look at him and asked if he was a Christian.

He looked at me and smiled but yet looked a little puzzled and said:

Yes I am Jack ... but if you could not tell for as long as you have known me then there must be something wrong with my Christianity.

At that time I did not know what to say ( I was a young Christian ) and he was not mad at me either, and we are still friends today.

The problem was he never came out and told anyone, and people are not mind readers.

I hear so many people talk about how they don't share the Gospel with others by word of mouth.

They say they just let there life show that they are Christians.

But that is not what the bible says.

No one knew who Jesus Christ was until John the baptist told people.
The Lamb that takes away the sin of the world ! ! !

No one knew anything, until Jesus Christ himself preached and taught his disciples with The Word.

No one new how to live until the Apostles preached and taught all over the world.

No one has ever become a Christian without a witness from a Christian.

Lost people do not and have never lead anyone to The Lord Jesus Christ.

No one will ever know for sure you are a Christian until you tell them.

There are many, many, nice people in the world who act a whole lot like Christians.
But they will tell that they are not, and my Mother was one of them.

Today you have to many Christians who are just sitting back and saying nothing to help people know the real truth about being saved, born again, the plan of salvation, and those people will go out of this world lost, and stand before The Lord Jesus Christ Lost.

Many Christians are afraid to offend someone and they might be told to shut up or worse. So they say nothing.

If no one told you about Salvation you would still be lost, because someone had to tell you out of there mouth about the plan of salvation according to the bible in order to be forgiven and point you to the ways of the lord by mouth.

Even if you only got it from reading the bible which very few do.

Here is the reason why ! ! !

Rom:10:12: For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13: For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14: How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15: And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16: But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.18: But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Rom:10:17: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2Cor:5:7: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

Gal:3:5: He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

bumpus

·
Unapologetically me
20,821 Posts
Jack Bumpus?

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Why? Maybe because the ones who constantly have to announce to the world their beliefs are turning more people away from Christianity? Maybe many people would be more intrigued and likely to ask questions about why someone is always kind and polite and friendly? I know I would be.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
How did it feel to have this "important" and kind man shake your hand every morning? Respected? Worthwhile? If this man's morning ritual made somebody feel better that day, then this man was doing a service. Sometimes a single kind word can make all the difference.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMContrary said:
Why? Maybe because the ones who constantly have to announce to the world their beliefs are turning more people away from Christianity? Maybe many people would be more intrigued and likely to ask questions about why someone is always kind and polite and friendly? I know I would be.
No Christians are not driving people away from the Lord, that is just and old excuse for people who don't really want Jesus Christ and his ways.

It has been that way ever sense Jesus Christ started His ministry.
And it will be that way until He return again.

None of those people were becoming Christians before these people are coming to them.

The Lord sends the Christian to talk to the lost, and maybe it will be the last time He ever send someone to that person.

No one can become a Christian unless the Holy Spirit draws them by dealing with there heart.

People do not look for Christ.
The Lord goes looking for them.

The Lord said he will not always strive with a man, and if he stops that person is lost forever ! ! !

The Lord only has to deal with a person once, to make that person responsible for himself.

And trying to blame other Christians will never work with The Lord ! ! !

People have no one to blame but themselves.

Heb:9:27: And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Heb:10:31: It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

bumpus

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maura said:
How did it feel to have this "important" and kind man shake your hand every morning? Respected? Worthwhile? If this man's morning ritual made somebody feel better that day, then this man was doing a service. Sometimes a single kind word can make all the difference.
That is true but the point that was being made is that does not mean a person is a Christian, because many nonchristians do the same thing, which is what was being discussed in the post.

bumpus

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
IMContrary said:
that may be so, however, why is there such a wonderment about why the Xlim's hate 'us'... why the intrigue and curiosity about 'eastern religions' and that is pc and acceptable to learn about them?
why the hero-worship of the Dalai Lama, Ghandi, etc.?
yet, if Jesus is proclaimed to be the one admired and followed, the hammer comes down?
as for me, i'm a believer in the Holy Trinity and faith in the Grace of God, and thank the Good Lord for that as i'm not a shining example for my Christian brethren, yet i do believe God is on my side and trying to help me, always, even with my vast number of failings!
tis a comfort.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Bumpus, I'd rather deal with a Christian like him than a Christian like you. He seems to be living the life instead of talking the talk--an example others ought to follow.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
As a non-christian who has often been mistaken for a christian just because I'm nice to folks and have a strong set of morals, I see the point Bumpus is trying to make.

However, there's a difference between the occasional quiet worded comment that lets others know you are a believer, and the screaming at the top of your lungs, in-your-face bit. I think we're all familiar with both types. I think the former is what most people prefer...both being that type, and being around that type.

But it's true that just being a nice person isn't limited to a certain belief, so if people want the fact that they are a nice person attributed to their beliefs, they should add words to the actions. Else, how is someone else to know?

Meg

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
suburbanite said:
Bumpus, I'd rather deal with a Christian like him than a Christian like you. He seems to be living the life instead of talking the talk--an example others ought to follow.
Man ony gets to deal with the Christians that God makes avabale to them. God does not let people pick and choose who they want in life to witness to them.

God tells them when to talk and when to shut up, not man ! ! !

bumpus

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jesus Christ was not a quite mealey mouth preacher.

Jesus Christ was a loud mouth preacher who preached to 5 thousand or more people at a time, and he did not use a microphone either.

Jesus Christ told people right to there face, what was what, and he did not back down even all the way to the cross.

Why ...
Because he loved God His Holy Father,
and He Loves And Care About You And Me Also ! ! !

Read the book for yourself of how he handled the lost, and his followers when they got out of line.

People today just want teachers to tickle there ears and tell them what they want to hear, and NOT what God wants them to hear.

bumpus

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I grew up with people like this man. I really don't ever remember them preaching to me, but they shared the love of Christ. They lit up the room when they walked in, and their hearts and homes were so warm it was magnetic.

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear one."

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
There is a woman who teaches at my DD's Sunday school. She says all lthe right things, does most of the right things and to all intents and purposes is a true Christian. But more and more when I meet her, I find that she exudes unpleasantness. And I find those two things harder to reconcile. Surely it is more important to get your own house in order first (who among those Christians here would claim to be perfect?) then it is to go about trying to sort out other people's beliefs.

hoggie (who isn't really sure whether she's a Christian or not)

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faith is never increased by sight

Increased faith only comes by hearing the True Holy Word Of God ! ! !

And that is why there are so many weak Christians today because they do not want to hear the truth they only want to see it and that is NOT how a Christian grows.

They never get really rooted and grounded in the faith which is done by hear and obeying, which they do not want to do, so they fail and they you hear and see the failure.

Which is sad ! ! !

bumpus

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Maura said:
This is true. But, if you are a regular here on HT CF you will find many who do not profess to be Christian who are just as kind and respected and make you feel worthwhile. I will have to add as an aside - deep down in their soul of souls, they really ARE because they hold to the same ideals and longings and quests for love and peace - someplace in their hearts they feel that they will exist forever too.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
I think it's pretty arrogant to assume that there is only one way to serve Christ. I seem to remember a parable about showing up at a door hungry and unfed and unclothed. Something to the effect of "if you do this for the least of people you do this for me"......

1 - 20 of 65 Posts