Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last several years, I have been in a sort of self imposed state of solitude. It was what I needed after some difficult circumstances. You no what? The solitude is no longer fun. It is time to go out and meet some folks. Hmmmm.... just have to remember how to do it.

So suggestions (appropriate for a married lady with five children) are welcome. How did you go about meeting new people in a new place?

Cindyc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Church, town activities, run for office in your town, school functions - to name a few.

My mom was a teacher w/ 4 kids and we were her life. She was just tooo tired to be a 'joiner' and as a teacher she wasn't really comfortable with that scenario. By the time she retired, her way of life was set and she never did have give and take with others outside of family.

volunteering at the library to help kids read gets you in contact with a whole group of people that work at the library or USE the library frequently. Find a craft you want to do, a cause you believe in. Helps to get the kids involved, too.

A new job maybe where you rub elbows w/ others could be a good start, too. I guess just being open to cirumstances and opportunities! Good luck and STAY in this frame of mind; don't let it trap you in yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How old are your children? I met wonderful friends through MOPS (mothers of preschoolers). It is a Christian based mothers group sponsered by local churchs.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
No advice but I will follow this thread.
I'm right there with you Cindy! I have been a bit of a hermit for 5 years now. While I enjoy being alone I think it's time to make some new friends and get out a bit.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Rather than just a generic "meet people" goal, maybe something with some more focus could be productive. Find a hobby you enjoy and work to build your local social network around this common interest. I've never really been to successful at just trying to meet people for the sake of meeting people. However, when I had hobby I was interested in, the friendships grew from that common ground. It started out being about the hobby and ended up being about the people.

Depending on the hobby, you may be able to find local workshops, or social gatherings. Possibly a night community college class on the hobby could be an inroad. Oftentimes there are national email lists such as yahoo and the like for the hobby that you could start out with and drill down to the local level. From this you may find a local hobby list. If your hobby entails purchasing supplies and stuff from a store, many times these stores will have workshops or lists of fellow hobbyists on the bulletin board, If you pursue a hobby and there doesn't seem to be any other local people interested, you may try putting notices on public bulletin boards, say at the grocery store, library etc. My wife started out knitting a number of years ago and was surprised to find just how many local people were into this hobby but just never made the connection with each other.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Not knowing your interests--it's hard to say---but if it were me---I would Call your local community college and ask about their continuing education classes for adults. Some are free and others have a 10$ fee or just the supplies at ours--I have taken weaving and fiber arts, beekeeping, landscaping, photography, interior decorating, floral design and a few others.

Join the Master Gardens, Beekeepers, Orgainic Gardeners, quilting, spinning, weaving guilds in your area. Call your home extension office in your county and ask if they have any classes...

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
You'd be amazed how many clubs exist for various interests! What's your pleasure? Go on, get specific. There's probably a club for it. The trick is finding them. Ask around, search the web, check at local places that sell items for a given hobby, join an online forum about the thing and ask if anyone knows of a local group.

Back when I lived in VA, I was very lonely at first, and joined the local iris society. Met a lot of great folks and made some great friends. So when I moved to Ohio, the first thing I did was contact the president of the local iris society there and join that group. Found out there was another iris group nearby, so joined them both. The president of the one club and her husband became dear, dear friends of mine. Moved to IL, joined the iris society! By that point, I had a network of people I knew all over the US involved in irises, and the IL iris folks were WAITING for me, LOL! On a less local scale, I joined the American Iris Society, Tall Bearded Iris Society, Reblooming Iris Society, Historic Iris Preservation Society... and posted on their message boards and met those long-distance friends at conventions and regional activities. Activities I might not have attended, but I wanted to see my friends.

Have also met friends in new places at greenhouses, feed mills, etc. by just striking up a conversation somehow.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but my point is to get the ball rolling and run with it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts